Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 being put back on the road - engine swap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
OK guys, I need your help, expertise and guidance. I acquired a 72 914 several years ago, and it's been patiently waiting to get back on the road. So in my mind I'm looking for a canyon carver ( I live in the mountains, commute to the valley every day - 100 miles round trip - seems to me that the 914 would put a smile on my face during those commutes) that I can drive a few times a week, do some autocross, maybe some track days, and not be afraid to drive it cross country when I get a wild hair.

So I think I'm pretty much committed to updating to a modern fuel injection system. any body have any recommendations?

engine wise I assume it is the 1.7, with the tail mount shifter? So I'm thinking I might as well just drop in a reman engine, but if I am doing that - should I go to the 1.8? or the 2.0? and if I do that, what other parts would need to be changed?

Thanks for any help, insights or information you care to share with a guy who knows very little about these cars.
Spoke
Not sure what you mean by "reman" engine. There are some sketchy places out there touting long blocks for cheap.

If you want to get it on the road soon and being in CA you might be able to pick up a running 2L or even better 2056 or larger engine locally. Don't waste time with 1.7/1.8L engines.

Another avenue is to get the 1.7L running then look for a bigger engine.

You'll eventually want to convert the tail shifter trans to a side shift.

Oh, and BTW,

welcome.png
r_towle
Get it running with whatever it has for engine and tranny, there will be plenty of work on brakes, electrical and I stereo to keep you busy.

Then once you are driving it, plan your engine and tranny upgrade.

Get a 2056 built for you, MCMark here can do that for you.
Get a tranny built up for you, a side shifter is the upgrade.

Then you can take your time to enjoy and sort out the car.
Swapping the motor will take you a weekend.

Rich
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2015, 02:57 PM) *

Get it running with whatever it has for engine and tranny, there will be plenty of work on brakes, electrical and I stereo to keep you busy.

Rich

Thanks for the replys guys. I like the idea of getting it running, then doing the engine - except, I'm not willing to put time and money into the ancient fuel injection, and so If i go with a modern system, I want it to match up to the new engine. so in the meantime, is this magic mcmark advertising here, or do I need to know the secret knock?

Having said that, I guess I'll try and get it running, and if I can do that simply and easily, go that route.
Spoke
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Dec 6 2015, 06:47 PM) *

so in the meantime, is this magic mcmark advertising here, or do I need to know the secret knock?

He is a shifty character having just shifted his shop from CA to MI. Mark does advertise here. Just PM McMark here. Can't go wrong with Mark; does great work.

His Shop's website:

Original Customs
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 6 2015, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Dec 6 2015, 06:47 PM) *

so in the meantime, is this magic mcmark advertising here, or do I need to know the secret knock?

He is a shifty character having just shifted his shop from CA to MI. Mark does advertise here. Just PM McMark here. Can't go wrong with Mark; does great work.

His Shop's website:

Original Customs

Thanks I did find that. bad timing on my part, I'm in california. Looks like he sells Airtechnology engines - correct?
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Dec 6 2015, 07:18 PM) *

Thanks I did find that. bad timing on my part, I'm in california. Looks like he sells Airtechnology engines - correct?

Air-cooled? Yes. He built my 2270. It's an absolutely amazing engine! He also rebuilt my trans and my Dell 40's. I'd recommend him for all of it.

72914wrx
Another Central Valley car ! If you need parts let me know I have a stash .
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(72914wrx @ Dec 6 2015, 06:21 PM) *

Another Central Valley car ! If you need parts let me know I have a stash .

excellent, a local resource. Ill keep in touch
thelogo
Slippery slope alert :

Big 4 s are nice , I've got to think /6 conversion is best

Seems to be this is a similar situation that has cause the so called

914 sickness

1.8,1.7 or 2.0 not cutting it

Go 6 and never look back

Spending some serious dollar

. Is it possible in the 20 k range

Where as your big 4 or 2056 will be racey but far more affordable

/6 conversion will " you'll feel where that extra $$$ was spent "

I personally think 1.7 f.I

Is the way to go , runs politely best longevity

" you've got to love the devil you know"
Dave_Darling
Most of the cheap long-blocks you can get mail-order are just that: cheap. Some of them are almost worth what they charge. Few of them are reputable. Do lots of research on a company before you order from them. (Here's a couple of hints: If it says GEX, run away. If it says ImportMotor, run away.)

McMark runs a complete garage. One of the services he offers is to build an engine using several specific Aircooled Technology parts, but he can and does come up with his own stuff and can build just about anything you need him to. (He isn't selling someone else's long block, and he isn't just an Aircooled Technology shop.)

If you can find a reputable builder locally, that is probably the best way to go. That way you can show up on their doorstep and work through any problems. It's always nice to be able to do that.

--DD
Chris Pincetich
Several SF Bay Area suppliers, EASY and Parts Heaven, will offer a 90-day or other $$-back guarantee on the used engines. The 1.7 TIV is a fraction of the cost of a 2.0 and only 10-15 HP less (+/-). I've had a used 1.7 from EASY running for 10 years now and enjoy 25-30 MPG (D-jet FI) and would often beat 2.0 TiV 914s at PCA AX races (get the car light, rebuild suspension, 4->1 header, and go!). beerchug.gif

Driving a 914 is just as much fun, or more, than building it! biggrin.gif

If you have $10k now to build an awesome car, do it. If you need to spread the budget over time, I'd go with the cheap 1.7 now and drive it in between upgrades. driving.gif
Calwaterbear
Thanks for all the input guys.
So i have tried calling McMark several times, so far it goes to voice message - and a generic one at that.
After doing some research i called Aircooled technology engines, based out of Georgia. I was able to speak with Raby - the engine surgeon. No doubt he knows his stuff, and is an inovator, and a great builder/ engineer of these engines. But a starting price of 20K for a turn key engine, well thats not in the cards right now!

I have found a local guy who specializes in rebuilding 914's, german fella,, whos dad was a Volkswagen engineer, so its in his blood. So it looks like he will rebuild the 1.7 for 2200 - 2500 bucks, so that is a tempting offer. get it up and running, drive it for a while, then deside if i want to go up in power - and how much it is worth to me.

I still have to talk to McMark - apparently he is a licenced builder of aircooled technology engines as well.

Next issue, go with stock injection, replace it with carbs, or go modern FI.
I still have to talk with McMark about the injection system he sells as well. A proprietary FI system is approaching 10K (if you go with Rabys stuff again)

carbs might be the best option, but i have heard rumors of Webbers being responsible for the burning up of several cars, due to bad tolerances of chinese parts Z(built in american , but apparently using chinese manufactured parts)

So I will continue moving forward, gathering info and hopefully making good decisions, thanks to people like you taking the time to share your experiences and expertise.
rjames
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Dec 8 2015, 09:44 AM) *

I have found a local guy who specializes in rebuilding 914's, german fella,, whos dad was a Volkswagen engineer, so its in his blood. So it looks like he will rebuild the 1.7 for 2200 - 2500 bucks, so that is a tempting offer. get it up and running, drive it for a while, then deside if i want to go up in power - and how much it is worth to me.

I still have to talk to McMark - apparently he is a licenced builder of aircooled technology engines as well.

Don't waste $2500 into rebuilding a 1.7 to 1.7 specs. Go 2056. And yes, talk to Mark.
Chris Pincetich
agree.gif
McMark is worth the wait beerchug.gif
If you get a modern EFi, it is good for all sizes!
Keyser Sose
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Dec 8 2015, 09:44 AM) *
...a starting price of 20K for a turn key engine, well that's not in the cards right now!

What? "STARTING" at $20K? Is that right? Seriously? Not for me either I guess.

era vulgaris
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Dec 8 2015, 12:44 PM) *

So i have tried calling McMark several times, so far it goes to voice message - and a generic one at that.

Next issue, go with stock injection, replace it with carbs, or go modern FI.
I still have to talk with McMark about the injection system he sells as well. A proprietary FI system is approaching 10K (if you go with Rabys stuff again)

carbs might be the best option, but i have heard rumors of Webbers being responsible for the burning up of several cars, due to bad tolerances of chinese parts Z(built in american , but apparently using chinese manufactured parts)

You might want to read this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=weber++chinese

100% chinese made Webers have made their way into the marketplace, even being sold by "reputable" Weber dealers. I'd go with Dells if you're going to go with carbs. I've been pretty happy with mine. Although given the option I'd trade them for FI in a heartbeat. IN A HEARTBEAT! I'm really...REALLY...REALLY...getting tired of having to wait for them to warm up so I can drive. I'm contemplating getting a megasquirt setup from the Dub Shop, or just selling my car and finding one with FI.

Also, try pm-ing McMark. I just pm'd him today with a question about my engine and he answered in a few hours.
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2015, 02:57 PM) *

Rich

agree.gif

Sorry Krusty response:

Take this advice and learn as much as you can first with what you have.

Compile a budget and an upgrade plan.

Everything else is just talk. Get out there and start wrenching and cleaning otherwise sell it because it.s just gonna sit there for several more years deciding what to go with......
Larmo63
welcome.png

I got my old and original 1.7 running and then built/bought a 2056 done by European Motor Works in Southern California. Jorge is very easy to work with. While getting ready to install that motor, I caught the /6 bug and the 2056 went to Michigan. Now I'm building a FI 911 engine and all the while my 1.7 keeps chugging.

Having a running car while you build a bigger/better engine is one way to go.

DO NOT end up with your car up on jack stands and missing all of the fun driving your wonderful little car can be.
Mueller
The beating up the old factory FI is sort of silly, you could spend $2500 on the latest programmable FI and it could run worse and be less reliable than something 40 years old that has been taken care of and freshened up.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Keyser Sose @ Dec 8 2015, 12:07 PM) *
What? "STARTING" at $20K? Is that right? Seriously? Not for me either I guess.

R&D doesn't come cheap. He's also on the steep part of the supply & demand curve; at these price levels he still has a year+ wait list.

--DD
saigon71
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 8 2015, 11:01 PM) *

The beating up the old factory FI is sort of silly, you could spend $2500 on the latest programmable FI and it could run worse and be less reliable than something 40 years old that has been taken care of and freshened up.

agree.gif Do a compression test on that 1.7. If it's OK, take the time to sort out the old D-jet FI system. Once sorted, it's quite reliable and a very good system. Drive the car with the 1.7 while you figure out what you want.

welcome.png
mgp4591
Can't blame you for wanting the DD type of convenience and fun- that's why I'm going the Subaru route but I understand wanting the stock type air cooled power. For years I've packed a bag and was ready to go for anything, riding the Harley and having way too much fun. I bought the 914 for that type of experience too thinking that it still wouldn't be as much fun as my bike but a close second. After my accident I'm more committed than ever that once I'm able to work on the car after I'm healed that this car is gonna be my escape plan. Reliable and fast, great handling and coast to coast capability is exactly what I need to get my blood going again! Best of luck with your decision and getting your ride back in the quickest time possible! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.