Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daytona on my Birthday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsrfr
Surreal venue for a DE with Audi Club and Hooked On Driving--I got to run Daytona on my birthday. Pump up the volume and enjoy Kermee at the real deal road course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRQkHEYpaKA

Cracker
HB John! Looks like a great time and your car looks rock solid! Good for you!

Tony
Maltese Falcon
Blow them candles out John...what a perfect way to celebrate your B'day.
2.3L type 4/ Raby sounding just right driving.gif
Thanks for sharing !
Marty
sixnotfour
that's a six not a four
carr914
driving.gif birthday3.gif driving.gif
ChrisFoley
Two thumbs up!
ThePaintedMan
Cool, happy birthday! Daytona is a blast in a car that's quick. I got to run it in a 400+ hp Mustang and the sensation of speed is unreal. We were nearing 150 at the S/F line, and that was on the rev limiter because of not having enough rear end gear. Easily would have done more if it was geared right. What did you think about the banking?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 7 2015, 05:24 AM) *

Cool, happy birthday! Daytona is a blast in a car that's quick. I got to run it in a 400+ hp Mustang and the sensation of speed is unreal. We were nearing 150 at the S/F line, and that was on the rev limiter because of not having enough rear end gear. Easily would have done more if it was geared right. What did you think about the banking?

Well, as to the banking, only someone who has been there can understand it--it is surreal. The G-force builds as the cars ahead disappear up under the top of the windshield due to the tight radius that you're making. Especially in turn 4, which is tighter than the others, it mushes you down in the seat as well as up against the top edge & you're hoping and wishing that nothing breaks. On the banking the steering passes through neutral input at about 110pmh to then take a bit of pressure on the wheel as the speed builds. Exiting the banking, as the camber washes out the car REALLY wants to go to the wall, taking more steering input (and pucker) than on the banking.
We had about 15mph wind blowing as a tailwind exiting turn 4, so you're going downhill and downwind--I was on the rev limiter at 7000rpm going into the tri-oval. For the first day I was on 225/45/15's so that's about 140mph. On the second day I had switched to 225/50/16's which puts the calculated speed well north of 150 although my cell phone GPS (RaceChrono) showed just shy of 145. Definitely a thrill ride & really works the brakes going into the infield turn 1.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 7 2015, 12:59 AM) *

that's a six not a four

I better read members signatures a bit more Kareful, didn't scroll down to the Other 914 ; my bad ยก!

Marty
Big Len
What was the use of the turn signaler?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Big Len @ Dec 7 2015, 04:14 PM) *

You noticed that...good eye...we used the turn signal to indicate passing permission. It's a bit sketchy at 140mph to take a hand off the wheel and stick it out the window to point someone by, so the turn signal is used. Basically, it's turned on to the right side entering the banking after the infield or the bus stop. Passing is done on the right (high) side of the banking. Then, approaching the bus stop or just about at the start/finish at the tri-oval, flip it off to let folks approaching from behind that you're not open for business. Passing for our groups was anywhere on the oval or the straights and the two straights on the infield.
LowBridge
it looks like you had a great time happy birthday... super job on the banking and at the end I noticed you pushed it going down the back straight to keep that white car behind you smile.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 7 2015, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Dec 7 2015, 04:14 PM) *

You noticed that...good eye...we used the turn signal to indicate passing permission. It's a bit sketchy at 140mph to take a hand off the wheel and stick it out the window to point someone by, so the turn signal is used. Basically, it's turned on to the right side entering the banking after the infield or the bus stop. Passing is done on the right (high) side of the banking. Then, approaching the bus stop or just about at the start/finish at the tri-oval, flip it off to let folks approaching from behind that you're not open for business. Passing for our groups was anywhere on the oval or the straights and the two straights on the infield.

I thought that might be it.

Awesome video. I watched it end to end and could have watched more. Perfect camera setup as you see the cars in the rear view mirror.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.