Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the deal with my shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
14Maschine
It was a beautiful sunday morning. A morning you just have to cruise. I shortly found a little place in my shift pattern that it dosnt like. On my way into 2nd gear. You can push it up and to the right futher then you could before. Where the shifter is promptly stuck. Takes a little tug to get out. ANnnnnnd now my car wont seem to go into 5th. Could this be my shift linkage? Has anyone experianced this problem before? I know there are alot of experianced 914 guys on here. Help me keep my teener goin! headbang.gif
GWN7
Check the linkage to see if it's come loose anywhere and check the shifter bushings to see if they have cracked and fallen out.
14Maschine
Thank you sir. The advice is very much apreciated.
GWN7
Sir?

<----- I'm a dog wink.gif biggrin.gif
GWN7
There are 61 parts in the 70-72 shifter assembly and 36 parts in the 73-76. Any one of them could cause the problems or add up to what you have described. The main problems with shifters is the following parts,

the 1970-72 cars:
New Ball Cup Bushing
3 New Firewall and Shift Rod Bushings
2 New Shift Rod Ball Bushings

For 1973-76 cars:
New Ball Cup Bushing
New Firewall Shift Bushing
New Rear Shift Rod Bushing
2 New Shift Coupler Bushings
2 New Shift Coupler Cone Set Screws

It could also be something as simple as a loose (or broken) motor/trans mount. If those are out of wack they will also throw off your shifter.

While your down there check the oil level in the trans too....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.