Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LA to Cincy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tscrihfield
Those who have been watching the classified ads know that I have recently purchased a car from the LA area. I didn't think shipping the car was the best method and what other way to see how well sorted it is than to drive it 2600 miles within the first 5 days of ownership, right? I think so...

So, I have been sitting around pondering what me and the wife might want to pick up for another car recently and we tossed around the thought of many things. We wanted something that had a focus on carshowing so, anything we bought had to be "Show worthy." I had a limited budget (Don't we all) and we looked at all of the cars we thought we would want in our ever growing car family... The choice was simple after we really got down to looking into it. The 914 has been something we've shared since we got married and actually before if you consider a 914 was my gift from her for our engagement.

We deliberated over quite a few after we pinned down that we indeed wanted a 914. Then this 73' came up in conversation. It was the furthest down on our list due to location but, my wife Karah-Lyn loved the way it looked... to be honest, the more I looked at it the more I liked it too. So, it took some trickery getting in touch with Noel, who is not the seller actually. He just the friend of the seller and so you all know, he is quite possibly one of the greatest human beings alive. I will explain why in just a moment.

Euro911 (mark) actually put me in touch with Noel (Thank you again for that!). Talking with Noel, he was very concerned that I was thinking about driving the car the some 2000+ miles through 9 states. I thought worst thing that could happen is the car breaks, then I trailer up and tug it the rest of the way.

After I eased the mind of Noel and convinced him that I would be able to make it home just fine, I then made plans to get out to Cali to start the journey home. The day before thanksgiving KL and I flew out to LA and stayed the night just a few miles from Noels place. I barely slept even though the flights out were somewhat involved. Noel came early the next morning and picked us up from the hotel and we had plans to perform an oil change and any adjustments to the car that was needed. Which the clutch needed a little adjustment. That was about it.

Next came why I think Noel is such an exceptional character. This guy did all of the needed tasks prior to my arrival to ensure we could close the deal, he picked up the materials for the oil change and he let me borrow many things prior to my departure. Plus keep in mind we used his space to do all of the work. We did settle up on everything and I feel blessed to have met him.
IPB Image
Photo courtesy of Noel

Now for the trip, First we had to stop at a beach at wifes request! So, Huntington beach it was. It has always been a favorite of mine when I visit Cali and it was the logical stop. We then headed to Las Vegas for the first night.
IPB Image

The next day we headed out with intentions of seeing the grand canyon and Hoover dam but we decided to just head toward the next eves destination which did not start out as El Paso TX but was soon decided for us by adverse weather... We actually ended up in Las Cruces NM because I wasn't too sure about El Paso with Juarez right across the border... Heard a lot of cars being stolen for the quick and easy trip across. Even though they may not be true.
IPB Image
Somewhere in Arizona... Beautiful there!

The next morning we headed toward Dallas as our destination. Texas was by far the worst part of the trip with the exception of seeing a Ice covered desert. No offense to those who live there but that trip was excruciating! it was cold, endless and flat! I guess I liked that I could hold steady at 80-90mph for what seemed like days now.
IPB Image
Ice covered desert!

As we got into Dallas we saw the first bit of Rain on the trip... this rain lasted for the entire next day... dry.gif ... Good news is that the targa seals only leaked a little and we didn't get wet, too bad. Sorry but no photos from Dallas to Memphis and Memphis home, we had been there and seen that ... sad.gif

But here are a few more shots of beautiful desert land!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Beautiful Arizona!

IPB Image
Lake Mead

Long story short, The journey took 40 hours, roughly 2600 miles and a whole lot of smiles... Except for the fact that the heat was removed from this car... That part caused no smiles.... No smiles at all... biggrin.gif
ndfrigi
Thanks for the kind words Thomas! Well both you and your wife are indeed a nice young couple and Thank God that you able to finished the journey with no issue except very cold weather because of no heat working from your car.

More pictures again from our morning fellowship with some 914 owners from SoCal.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Congrats, Thomas and Karah-Lyn. I am guessing that this will be KL's baby, so looking forward to seeing you guys soon!
Elliot Cannon
Love the "baby moon" hubcaps. biggrin.gif
Larmo63
I can second the notion that Noel is a fine human being.

Great car, great story. Noel invited me to be there too, but I had Thanksgiving plans.
Coondog
Great story, glad you made it home safe with 0 issues. Good call on the El Paso thing.
poorsche914
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Dec 6 2015, 11:40 PM) *
... that trip was excruciating! it was cold, endless and flat!

When my sister and her husband returned from being stationed in Hawaii, they had their car shipped to California and then drove to North Carolina. My sister told me, "If you ever have a chance to drive across the U.S..... don't" rolleyes.gif

driving.gif
914_teener
Nice story.

Looks like the headlights need adjusting. Really easy one that took me a couple of years to get to mainly as mine is not a DD.

Have fun with the car.
iwanta914-6
I was surprised this car took so long to sell, especially for what the seller was asking. Nice car and a great story!
Peashooter
Congrats on the new family member! I can't wait to see it! I always find it amusing when folks say "You can't drive that thing all the way home!"
sb914
Nice job,your first "road trip"was a doozy!!
Ian Stott
Nice looking car, and I'm jealous of your trip! Have a friend in Yuma, want to drive my 73 there once I get the engine sorted out.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
turk22
Thomas,

glad the trip was successful, I was worried when I saw all the weather in the md-west.

Welcome back, look forward to seeing the car popcorn[1].gif

Turk
Cracker
Very cool and especially so of your wife to be "game" to do that...she MUST be in love!

Also, seeing all the 914's to see, help or greet you both was pretty special - what support!

Tony
SKL1
Road trips are the best! Back in the mid '80's I picked up a '65 356 Cab in Newport Beach and drove it back to IA with my dad.
A little nervous, but since this was before 9/11 I could take a few spare parts in the carry on luggage (wouldn't check anything as I was afraid they'd lose it).
6 volt headlights weren't so hot, and we missed a tornado in KS by about a mile (though at time we didn't know it- ignorance is bliss) but made it home with no major issues.
Glad you made it OK.
JoeDees
Drove right by my current spot and ended right by my once and future home. Can't wait to make that drive myself.
orthobiz
2 years ago I drove my red car back from Cali, through Peoria and Brad Mayeur's and finally arrived in Cadillac, its new home. It was a blast!

Paul
BeemerSteve
I would think a 914 would make that trip. Years ago when I owned many Minis and drove to most Mini Meets one in particular I drove my Mk1 Austin Mini Wagon from SF bay area where I lived to Dayton, Ohio and back all on a 850cc engine. That was 2500 miles x2! The only problem I had was fuel pump points closed together so I cleaned them up and drove home. Who said Lucas is the Prince of Darkness!
Nice trip you had too!!
BillC
Congrats on the "new" car!

It's kinda funny that you bought a 914 to bring into Ohio, since I brought one out of Ohio earlier this year.
orthobiz
Oh yeah, Signal Orange was the color of my first 914, ca. 1975. I absolutely love it and steel wheels with hubcaps rule!

Paul
Van914
Thomas and Kara-Lynn,
Congrats on a great looking car.
Kara-Lynn don't let him change it!
Enjoy
Van
tscrihfield
Thanks to all for their kind words and stories. This group is a huge reason I've stuck with 914s not to mention my affliction biggrin.gif .

Now, as for plans to the car. KL and I both made a pact that if we do any changes. Like the brakes and new trans that will have to happen soon. All of the parts have to be ready to go to be done within a short amount of time to ensure the car stays on the road. KL would eventually like to see a few things change on the car for looks and I think her sense of style is good and we agreed that any changes would be stock or stock-ish so that the origin of the car isn't lost like with my white car. I look forward to many years with this one.

And as for my wife, she is an incredible being. I am blessed to have her. She does have two sisters but I'm afraid that they're far too young for the folks on this board. Well, anyone for that matter. They're 8 & 15 lol-2.gif

Thanks again,
Thomas
914time
Love those cross country Porsche drives!

I did one in 1997 with my dad who bought a 1961 356B Super90 Roadster (Aetna Blue w/red interior and black top).

We started in Waynesboro, Va to Delafield, WI the first day. Left 5:00am with lots of fog in the Mtns but we vowed to drive the whole thing with the top down the entire way. It was chilly and damp to start but then got HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in Kentucky/Tennessee. Whoa. Second day we left Delafield, caught a bit of the Oskgosh airshow and then made it home to St. Paul by dusk. The 356 didn't hiccup once. We just checked the oil occasionally and hammered down.
rnellums
Its too bad the time of year forced a southernly trip! I would have liked to have hosted you guys in Denver! Congrats on the new car Thomas!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Dec 8 2015, 04:49 AM) *

And as for my wife, she is an incredible being. I am blessed to have her.

I have met Kara-Lynn on a few occasions. She is a saint........obviously..... rolleyes.gif
tscrihfield
Been a bit since I have posted regularly. Been lurking in the parts section mostly… Figured since this is where the car got its start on the forum with my ownership, it would be the best place to make updates as I make changes.

In 2017 I did the 5 lug conversion and put a set of 1986 Fuchs 16x6” & 7”

In the spring of 2019, I got tired of the underpowered 1.7 and the fact that the carb situation was in forever need of adjustment. So I did the 3.2 swap. Very happy with it!
Click to view attachment

tscrihfield
I’ve been driving it quite a bit… Tracking the car, having a blast.
I took it to the Bellefountaine Hill Climb this year and last year and won the King of the Hill both years.
Click to view attachment
I overfilled the oil tank and sucked up some oil in the starting left hander…. Made a serious plume of smoke, but made for a really cool shot!
tscrihfield
Recent changes have been centered around the next phase of the car.
Dash is getting some changes…
Click to view attachment
tscrihfield
Also, the engine grill…
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Nice upgrade or few changes on your car Thomas!
Good you update this thread also.

Have a blessed week my friend!
tscrihfield
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 1 2021, 01:01 AM) *

Nice upgrade or few changes on your car Thomas!
Good you update this thread also.

Have a blessed week my friend!

Yeah, you’re one of the folks that had reached out on the progress of the car prompting me to update.

Hope you are well my friend!

Thomas
tscrihfield
Well, the weather is getting better and it’s time to get the car out for the summer.

The 914 has been in hover mode for the past few months as I sold all the 911 suspension off to make room for the 935 setup and JRZ stuff.

Going to be a good week getting all this stuff sorted out.
ndfrigi
wow Thomas! more upgrade to that beast!
Did you install this wheels already?

tscrihfield
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 4 2022, 01:25 AM) *

The wheels aren’t on yet. They will be once I cut the fenders for the flares.

A little too wide for stock sided panels.

ndfrigi
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ May 4 2022, 05:53 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 4 2022, 01:25 AM) *

The wheels aren’t on yet. They will be once I cut the fenders for the flares.

A little too wide for stock sided panels.

oh okay my friend Thomas! Hope those suspension parts will be installed soon!
Take care and God bless!
Stef914
cool trip ! Thanks for sharing
jim_hoyland
Great story Tom; keep us in the loop… smile.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ May 4 2022, 12:03 AM) *

Well, the weather is getting better and it’s time to get the car out for the summer.

The 914 has been in hover mode for the past few months as I sold all the 911 suspension off to make room for the 935 setup and JRZ stuff.

Need a hand?
tscrihfield
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2022, 12:22 PM) *

Need a hand?

Dang it, I need to spend more time on here. Seen you since this was sent but would have been fun to have a wrench party.

Car is back together and I won the hill climb for the 3rd year in a row. Was a great time. Next year it’ll look like a GT clone though. I’ve wanted the wide fenders for years!
tscrihfield
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 5 2022, 10:51 PM) *

Great story Tom; keep us in the loop… smile.gif

Jim!!! I hope you’re well! Long time no talk!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Sep 13 2022, 12:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2022, 12:22 PM) *

Need a hand?

Dang it, I need to spend more time on here. Seen you since this was sent but would have been fun to have a wrench party.

Car is back together and I won the hill climb for the 3rd year in a row. Was a great time. Next year it’ll look like a GT clone though. I’ve wanted the wide fenders for years!

need to see some pictures with those new wheels on it!
jim_hoyland
Great seeing the progress Tom. Love you lift too !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.