Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally Got my Motor Out, What Next?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
Well I finally got my engine out. It actually wasn't the hardest thing to do. Now the tedious job of cleaning everything.

So, I am planning on fixing as many leaks as I can find before stuffing it back in. Push rod tubes, oil pump, valve cover, oil cooler. What other seals should I replace since I have it out?

Also, I have all the tin off, wiring harnes, intake manifold/runners. What it the best way to clean it? My tranny is also real greasy, can I just hit the whole thing with my pressure washer. What do I watch out for?

The engine ran good when I pulled it, good compression on all cylinders. I plan on cleaning up the entire engine bay and replacing fuel lines, CV joint bolts/seals. I also broke off a nut on one of the heat exchangers. As I was wrenching it was almost to the end and then just snapped off at the nut. How do I get the stud out? Should I take the head off and take it down to a VW shop? If I take the head off can I just bolt it back on or is that going to be too much of a head ache?

Any pointers is apprieciated.
Allan
Front and rear main seals. wink.gif As for cleaning everything just a word from experience, when I puilled mine, I hit it with the pressure washer and when I took it apart there was water in it.
Dave_Darling
You can try double-nutting the broken exhaust stud, or use a stud puller. Heat and penetrating oil are likely going to be your friends in this case. You can also drag the complete engine to a machine shop and have them remove the troublesome stud if you prefer.

R&R'ing just the head will likely be no real biggie. I don't recall much in the way of big surprises there, unless the head does not want to let go of one or both cylinders. A few raps with a mallet solved that in my case; I have heard of ones that were really stuck though. Just make sure you observe the correct tightening sequence and "torque steps" when you re-install it. I would, myself, consider taking the whole engine in for the removal if I couldn't get the stud out.

Probably regular engine cleaning goop (e.g., Castrol Super Clean or equivalent) would work well cleaning up the engine. From the sound of it, an oil change right after you do that would not be a bad idea....

--DD
echocanyons
Luke,
Did you pick up another 914 or is this your black/blue 70?
LukeD
This is another car, got way more back from taxes then expected. Picked this one up for $500.00 with about $2500 in reciepts from the PO. Lots of new stuff on it just neglected. Interior shot, been wrecked and repaired. I should have kept the last one and bought this one and transfered everything over. Oh well, too late LOL.

echocanyons - I notice you are in clovis. Did you come do the PPI on my blue one?

Luke
echocanyons
Yup, that was me.

Give me a call if you want some help with your project.
I am free most weekends
Luke M
Another Luke into 914's
That's cool man keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more pics.
Luke M.

East Coast beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.