Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at rollers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
I have had several people now tell me I would be better off getting a decent roller rather that do all the body work my car needs, including a Senior member here. My car is a 75 with the 1.8 L-jet. I have found a few close to home, and would like recommendations on which year would make swapping the parts easiest. The ones I've found so far are a 74, 72, and 70. I know my 75 BUB's won't fit on the older cars (and based on pics they don't have any), what else do I need to be thinking about?

Thanks,
Rick
poorsche914
I've not dealt with the early cars (have only had '73s and newer) but I would say go with the chassis with least amount of issues (rust, damage, etc) and with the most other parts balanced out by purchase price.

Have you seen the '74 in Maryville? Looks to be a complete car but in pieces.

driving.gif
brooks944
Did not know about the car in Maryville. Do you have any additional info?

Thanks for the reply!
Dave_Darling
Yes, priority should go to finding the best condition. Then get one that's as close to your model year as practical.

--DD
rick 918-S
Only glaring issue is wiring swap. If you get the same year and the chassis harness is good the rest is plug and play.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2015, 08:26 AM) *
Only glaring issue is wiring swap. If you get the same year and the chassis harness is good the rest is plug and play.

agree.gif

Wiring can (and is) a nightmare if you're trying to match different years. I've done it and it's a major pain in the butt.

Your best bet is to get another '75/'76 chassis ...
shades.gif
JeffBowlsby
agree.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Dec 7 2015, 10:56 AM) *
Did not know about the car in Maryville. Do you have any additional info?

Thanks for the reply!

May be more than you want to spend but you could sell off the parts you don't need and probably come out pretty good! It's a '74 so maybe not as much of a wiring difference as an earlier car would be confused24.gif

Link to 914 in Maryville

driving.gif
Coondog
Just my two cents but I would sell your roller, bundle that money with what you would spent on another 914 and buy one that doesn't have a laundry list of problems.

#less headaches # still be able to put in your own blood sweat and tears
brooks944
Thanks guys. My car isn't a roller just has suspect longs (well not really suspect, just bad) and some other rust problems. I would love to find a good 75 roller, might even start thinking about a trade for a car in better shape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.