Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 912 front suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Does a swb 912 suspension work in 914s? Not sure about bolt hole locations.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 7 2015, 10:41 AM) *

yes
McMark
Well, not exactly. The lower mounting holes are in the same place. But depending on year, there are some differences. If you're looking for a cheap 5-lug conversion, it'll work, but realize you're pretty much stuck with all those components. I would run re-drilled rotors way before I messed with an early 912 setup.

1. Front bushing is mounted in a two piece housing, not a ring mount like the 914. AFAIK, the bolts are in the same place though.
IPB Image

2. The A-arm/balljoint situation is different. Not a deal breaker for sure, but worth noting.
IPB Image

3. The early 911/912 cars had a fixed strut top mount. AFAIK, these can be converted, but it's not necessarily a drop in situation.
IPB Image
Eric_Shea
You do not want that front end.

Extremely expensive ball joints and no real advantage in braking whatsoever.

1970+ would be best.
914Sixer
You are going backwards!!
mb911
Yup that's what I determined as well. I will keep looking for T struts.. That last six I did. I was able to take all my parts off of a rolled over 911.. Wish I could run into another one of those deals.. It was a 74 and had a brakes, 2.7, and the torsion bar mounted on the suspension not through the body..
bdstone914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 7 2015, 10:41 AM) *

Pretty sure i still have the lower half of a 74 and later 911 suspension. A arms, torsion bars, sway bar, cross member, adjuster caps. PM me if interested.
Bruce
Reno914
Hey all, question here, (flame if you desire)....

Interest to upgrade to the 911 suspension is to provide for vented disc rotor brakes, and upgrade to the 5 lug suspension correct?

Does the 911 suspension give access to better torsion bar rates, or other such things? I have never looked into the conversion in depth.

Thanks,
Reno
r_towle
Because the 911 is far more popular (sorry) there is a larger aftermarket of parts available. That being said, the latest suspension you could put in the car is now almost 20 years old, so even that aftermarket is starting to dwindle.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.