Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woody's Custom Shop mini amp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Purchased one of these small amps for eventual use with my Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereo but it appears this isn't to be WTF.gif .
The instructions state and I quote "it is not recommended that this unit shares speakers with the radio,this unit is more powerful than most radio's and voltage will feedback into the original radio and burn it out''........bloody marvelous not.
Anyone sorted this issue or do I just run it thru the din amp connection on the rear of which I have 2 ,one is a six pin and the other a seven from memory.
My understanding is that the bridging caps into the two rear din female plugs are to enable the sound from the built-in amp,when these are removed (one or the other)the headunit then receives amplification from and external source......is this correct.
Can add a pic of these plugs if required,thanks in advance.
Andyrew
Are you planning on using it as an amp or as its own music source?
porschetub
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 8 2015, 09:51 AM) *

Are you planning on using it as an amp or as its own music source?

Andrew I would like to use it as an amp to kick the Frankfurt along which is most likely only 5W per channel,but it may only be designed as a separate music source I don't really know confused24.gif .
Andyrew
Run it in line like a normal amp. The way I read what you wrote from the instructions is not to run it in parallel to a radio. IE speakers with two feeds. If you run this in line power should not go back to the stereo.
Jeffs9146
Hi-output to Line Converter
porschetub
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 8 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Run it in line like a normal amp. The way I read what you wrote from the instructions is not to run it in parallel to a radio. IE speakers with two feeds. If you run this in line power should not go back to the stereo.

Sorry to sound a dumb-ass but I presumed if I ran it with a din plug into the headunit it would be ok?.
By the way thanks for the replacement light switch works a treat.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 7 2015, 01:13 PM) *

What does that unit do ?
porschetub
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 9 2015, 01:42 AM) *

What does that unit do ?

Thanks Jim that was my next question.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 8 2015, 05:42 AM) *

What does that unit do ?

It converts "Hi Output" or Speaker Level Audio to Line Level which is typically used before an amp. If speaker level was introduced to an amp it would probably damage/overdrive it.

We used to do that intentionally in the 60's for a cool guitar or organ sound. I used a Bogen PA amp in front of a Fender amp.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Dec 8 2015, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 8 2015, 05:42 AM) *

What does that unit do ?

It converts "Hi Output" or Speaker Level Audio to Line Level which is typically used before an amp. If speaker level was introduced to an amp it would probably damage/overdrive it.

We used to do that intentionally in the 60's for a cool guitar or organ sound. I used a Bogen PA amp in front of a Fender amp.

agree.gif

You can then add a a/b line switch into the amp and run two different devices into the amp.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 8 2015, 11:34 AM) *

agree.gif

You can then add a a/b line switch into the amp and run two different devices into the amp.

Look at the price for the unit at New Egg:

Click to view attachment

I think we disconnected the output transformer from the Bogen now that I think about it....
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Dec 8 2015, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 8 2015, 11:34 AM) *

agree.gif

Look at the price for the unit at New Egg:

Click to view attachment

I think we disconnected the output transformer from the Bogen now that I think about it....

Walmart has it for $4.73
Andyrew
Pretty sure he was commenting on the 9.14 smile.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 8 2015, 03:34 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 8 2015, 04:34 PM) *

Yep!

biggrin.gif
r_towle
Anyone use the low profile sub woofers that are supposed to fit under a seat?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.