Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much hp for 6 seconds 0 to 60
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
i was doing some launches to day first to third, just barely used third, first lasts about 1.25 seconds, second gear lasts about 3.5 seconds and at 55 mph shift to third, which i could only use for 1 second before having to hit the brakes at a tad under 60 mph.

i think the car will be close to 6 seconds 0 to 60, but that is all seat of the pants

i know there was a post a few weeks ago that said something like 180 hp needed for 6 seconds or less. so who has one of the g meter thingys i can borrow.
redshift
6 seconds? That's like eternity.

laugh.gif

M
Joe Bob
Sounds like my sex life....
skline
So I take it you are not a Cowboy. 0 to 60 in 6 seconds is not a bad time at all. Its right up there with the Camaro and Firebird with the LT1 engne.
anthony
It seems like 180hp would propel a 914 from 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds. I guess a big part of 0-60 times are gearing. The stock 914 gears are probably kind of short for 180hp. My SC is supposed to do 0 to 60 in just over 6 seconds and it has 185hp and weighs 500 lbs more than a 914. Its gearing is actually too tall. If 1st and 2nd had shorter gears, it would have a faster 0 to 60 time.
IronHillRestorations
Engine, cams, gearing is the key. As we all know 2nd gear with a 914 trans is kind of a limiting factor.

I had a 3.0 with Webers and stock four cyl gearing, which I thought was pretty good. My 0-60's were a little over 6 sec. 0-50 was a solid 5 sec, but you only had to shift once.

The problem I had on the 0-60 was second gear bumped the rev limiter at 57-58mph, so you had to shift twice. Since I was paying for any repairs I wasn't going to lunch my trans or engine just to see how fast I could bang off a 0-60 time.

I think if you had hotter cams in a 3.0, and the associated valve train hardware to withstand 8000 rpm you could get 0-60 under 6 sec in a 914.
scotty914
well first of all its hard to drive, shift, look at the speedo and use a stop watch at the same time. secondly its all seat of the pants doing timing with my head, no watch.

i was actually thinking its faster than that but i did not want to hear 10 people saying ya right
rhodyguy
ya right. rolleyes.gif you need a spotter AND a stop watch, but deduct for tire size. dry.gif nice to have a driver again isn't it?

k
scotty914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 13 2005, 08:48 PM)
but deduct for tire size. dry.gif nice to have a driver again isn't it?

k

i am running 195 65 IIRC so about stock ratio, and my speedo is accurate by gps until i hit 80 mph

and she not on the road yet, still have somethings to do
Andyrew
Dont use first (unless you need to to keep the boost up...) and see how that goes for ya.

For a v8, 2nd and third with winding out third a bit gets me there, but I normally short shift third (and all gears) unless I want to be sporty...

6 seconds flat or under 7..? I'd say 130 for under 7, and 150-160 for 6 flat. 230 for 5 flat, 350 for 4 flat, 600 for 3 flat.... well.. you get the picture.. lol

Thats about what I think IMHO...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.