Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tachometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Today was a nice day here in NY. I just fitted my new bilsteins and went out for a little spin. Handles much better, the KONIs where shot.

However, as I was driving my tach went out, it was always a little bouncy. I remeber from my beetle days that when the speedo got bouncy it was time to either change the drive cable or check the drive gear. I assume that the tach is not mechanical but, is there a way to repair/diagnose the problem with the tach?

Thanks,
Dan
SpecialK
I'd start by checking all of the electrical connections........sounds like you've got a loose one somewhere.
Joe Bob
Check your connections in back of the gauge.....if you have a buddy, swap in another one to see if that's it....

That's what I usually do....been lucky, it's either been a loose wire in back or the replacement works.
TheCabinetmaker
Check the black wire with a purple stripe on the coil. Loose = bouncy tach. Off = no tach
dlo914
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 13 2005, 03:25 PM)
Check the black wire with a purple stripe on the coil. Loose = bouncy tach. Off = no tach

Exact same thing happened to me during a "joy ride" wink.gif
solex
I believe the disconnected wire at the coil was the problem. I tightened up the connector put it back on.

Thank you all that this group has been invaluable.

Dan
BigDBass
Had a local aircooled mechanic replace my rear brake lines. When I dropped it off, the tach was working. When I picked it up, it wasn't. He was closed by then so I haven't been able to follow up, but I will on Monday.

In the meantime, I checked the black wire w/purple stripe from the coil as noted above, and it's solidly connected.

Anything else that may have been tweaked while it was on the lift?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.