Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am one mangled bolt away
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
I look under the passenger side to remove the last engine mount bolt and the nut is totally rounded. After 2 days soaking in PB Blaster, filing, chisling, heat, vice grips, hammers, incantations and yelling, this thing will not budge and the head of the bolt is in such a tight space, I can't get any leverage. I have tried everything I can think of and been summarily defeated. Can anyone give me a suggestion before I am forced to sacrifice a live chicken.

I thought about grinding the nut off but this car has been sitting 10 years leaking all sorts of flammable gunk. Am I being smart or just a big wuss?
skline
You my friend are being a wuss, just get in there with a die grinder and cut the thing off. You will be preplacing them anyway with new ones.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy though just to be safe.
Joe Bob
Have someone watch with a fire extinguisher and to hold yer beer...
JerryP
Thanks fellas. That's what I needed to hear. sawzall-smiley.gif
MattR
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 13 2005, 03:21 PM)
Have someone watch with a fire extinguisher and to hold yer beer...

of if you're mike you can use beer as a fire extinguisher (on aaron's backpad) biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Scott didn't have anything else handy....it's was either the beer or peeing on it..... cool_shades.gif
MattR
okay, you win
spare time toys
Die grinder and a carbide bit. it will be off in no time. I have gotten quite good at this. wacko.gif
JerryP
You guys were right. That was easy. Didn't even need the fire extinguisher. I was being a wuss. Of course it would have been perfect if that side of the engine just plopped right down onto my dolly, just like the other side. Didn't budge though. Not sure what my next move is going to be but at least it will manly. smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.