Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 oil tank fittings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mb911
Guys,

I need to have some fittings machined and wanted to know what the factory 914-6 oil tank fittings are suppose to be?
screenguy914
The cost to create fittings from scratch might be more than other options. What are the issues with your tank?

internet image:
Click to view attachment

Sherwood
mb911
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Dec 9 2015, 08:41 AM) *

The cost to create fittings from scratch might be more than other options. What are the issues with your tank?

internet image:
Click to view attachment

Sherwood

I am going to make stainless steel and aluminum tanks and I want make sure I have the proper fittings
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 10 2015, 05:56 AM) *

QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Dec 9 2015, 08:41 AM) *

internet image:
Click to view attachment

Sherwood

Depends if your are you staying with metric or going to AN ?,if I had a choice now I would convert to AN because of the hassle of metric fitting.
Most fitting (metric) I received when I bought my car,it wasn't till I started to buy adaptors ,hose and fitting it became an expensive exercise.
I can't even find anyone in my country to crimp my fitting on as no one has the large Cohline dies here.
PMS went to AN with their tanks,don't think there would be much of a market for tanks with metric fitting.

I am going to make stainless steel and aluminum tanks and I want make sure I have the proper fittings

mb911
I will probably offer them both ways.. Just want to make sure I can fill the need for everyone
jfort
I have AN
rgalla9146
The attached image has non- original fittings to the engine tube and the cooler
Mark Henry
Personally if the tank is not correct then use more common and cheaper fittings like AN or NPT.

Take an old cohline fitting, they are steel and TIG weld an -AN fitting to it.
I think the the early cohline fittings are 26mm.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 12 2015, 07:18 PM) *

Personally if the tank is not correct then use more common and cheaper fittings like AN or NPT.

Can't fully recall but I seem to remember the steel fittings are made of free-cutting steel ,and don't TIG weld easily,my hydraulics guys used a high strength brazing rod and an educated flame setting with
a gas set to weld.
Free-cutting steel has a elevated lead content for ease of mass production not inert gas type welding.
I will check my stock tank and report back with sizes if that's any help to the op.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 12 2015, 03:53 AM) *

Can't fully recall but I seem to remember the steel fittings are made of free-cutting steel ,and don't TIG weld easily,my hydraulics guys used a high strength brazing rod and an educated flame setting with
a gas set to weld.
Free-cutting steel has a elevated lead content for ease of mass production not inert gas type welding.
I will check my stock tank and report back with sizes if that's any help to the op.

I used many Porsche oil system fittings to adapt a 911 thermo to my front cooler install.
I tacked them with my MIG then had a friend finish with TIG
No special technique necessary
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 12 2015, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 12 2015, 03:53 AM) *

a gas set to weld.

I used many Porsche oil system fittings to adapt a 911 thermo to my front cooler install.
I tacked them with my MIG then had a friend finish with TIG
No special technique necessary

I have a fitting here that I was given that I'm pretty sure is MIG welded.
They came off a buddies 911 only replaced because his plumbing changed.
Mikey914
You may want to take a part an original, as they are not just a tank with fittings, There is an internal baffling and some additional; plumbing. One of the reasons I haven't made these yet was I'm sure the factory made these this way for a reason and didn't want to mess with potentially causing problems by making without testing these. Pressures and flow rates do matter, and kill one 914/6 engine it's not worth the effort. The devil is in the details here.
mepstein
Ben - I can't offer to have you take apart my 914-6 tank but I can send you a used 911 oil tank if you want to cut it apart. We have enough used ones laying around that we can sacrifice for the project. Let me know if you want one. Mark
Mark Henry
I can show you a 72 911 tank that was cut open.

There is a bit to them, but they are just a can with a bit of internal plumbing and baffles. The oil enters the tank and is then plumbed through the oil filter, back into the tank and out onto the top of the screen baffle. The main baffle is just a SS screen, which is about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the tank. The oil exits towards the rear of the tank bottom. You could make a simple can and use an external oil filter mount, but you must keep the tank screen/baffle as that is what separates the air from the oil.
There is nothing high pressure about the tank, the highest pressure would be the restriction of the oil filter.

I looked into doing this myself, it would be a fair bit of work to get it right but it is doable.
If you were to fab a tank, mild steel would be fine as long as the tank is sealed and always filled with clean oil. The issue would be rust through from the outside, the top being the most prone.
If you are good at welding and don't mind a bit of extra weight I bet you could MIG weld a steel tank. SS or AL would be better, but then you need a TIG welder.

In the end I found a deal on a complete DWD tank set and I scooped it up.
jmill
I looked into it a while ago. Links for the tank prints are here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...756&hl=tank
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 13 2015, 05:13 PM) *

There is a bit to them, but they are just a can with a bit of internal plumbing and baffles. The oil enters the tank and is then plumbed through the oil filter, back into the tank and out onto the top of the screen baffle. The main baffle is just a SS screen, which is about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the tank. The oil exits towards the rear of the tank bottom. You could make a simple can and use an external oil filter mount, but you must keep the tank screen/baffle as that is what separates the air from the oil.
There is nothing high pressure about the tank, the highest pressure would be the restriction of the oil filter.

I looked into doing this myself, it would be a fair bit of work to get it right but it is doable.
If you were to fab a tank, mild steel would be fine as long as the tank is sealed and always filled with clean oil. The issue would be rust through from the outside, the top being the most prone.
If you are good at welding and don't mind a bit of extra weight I bet you could MIG weld a steel tank. SS or AL would be better, but then you need a TIG welder.

A mild steel tank will rust out from the inside too.
This is especially so with cars that sit for long periods.
The water condensate pools on the bottom of the tank as well as in droplets on the upper inside.
This is probably why the factory copper plated the tanks.
mb911
Wow didn't check for a couple days and now all kinds of info.. Good stuff thanks everyone..

The pictures help.. Mark I used a bore scope on yours to look inside of yours..

As to welding that is no problem for me. Been teaching welding at a teach college for the last 16 years and before that I was in the aviation wworld.. Along with designer and owner of m&k exhaust.com.

I have the shape made for the v1.0 and I actually will get side tracked this week making the inner longitudinal stiffener kit for my car.. But should have something to show shortly.. Keep the info coming
mb911
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 13 2015, 02:23 PM) *

Just realized that you are right by me.. I work in Racine..
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 13 2015, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 13 2015, 05:13 PM) *

A mild steel tank will rust out from the inside too.
This is especially so with cars that sit for long periods.
The water condensate pools on the bottom of the tank as well as in droplets on the upper inside.
This is probably why the factory copper plated the tanks.

Well OK, but the factory tank I opened had no plating on the inside, it also had no rust in the bottom of the tank, even though from the outside in it had countless holes in the top of the tank.
I do believe it had a surface treatment along the lines of ospho, but not copper.
That said I'm not interested in a debate.

I looked totally into this, if you are a competent welder and have the equipment I would have built either an Aluminum or stainless tank.
If you can get a hold of a DWD tank to scope out, they are IMHO the best tank out there. Below is his old website:

http://www.dwdesignwerks.com/oilsystem.htm

Although he stopped making them long ago, when he made a move to Australia, he still lurks here from time to time. His name is Don Welch and goes by member name BigD9146gt.
If he's not too busy, I bet he'd give you some pointers on tank design. I'd try to PM him directly.

BTW Patrick sell a tank that looks a lot like the DWD tank.
I can't confirm this, so it could be hearsay, but I've heard they are not quite as good as a DWD tank.
jmill
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 13 2015, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 13 2015, 02:23 PM) *

Just realized that you are right by me.. I work in Racine..

We'll have to get together. I need a tank myself. I'm also an A&P mechanic. Hell if you worked at Midwest Airlines I might even know you already.
Eric_Shea
You Cheeseheads get together over a couple-a brats and figger it out. I'm ready to buy tanks. wink.gif

E.
mb911
I actually work at the local tech college as a welding and fabrication instructor..

I checked on fittings at a place I worked at long ago and go weld for when they need me. I can buy 3/4 npt fittings, filler necks and caps for the oil filler neck from them and also the 5052-0 used for the internal oil lines..

I am going to have something ready within the next month at least a few tanks out there .. I need 1 and it sounds like a fair few of you do as well. My goal will be something close to what was referenced already here..

I will also have 901 intermediate plates ready in the next week or 2. I made these about 10-11 years ago and they were awesome.. M&K just got in the way of me making more..

I will be starting by making the following

1st aluminum tanks with npt fittings
2nd aluminum with metric fittings
3rd stainless steel for those that want them in either fitting option

jmill
I'm in the market for an aluminum tank without the filter console. Whether I build or buy depends on price and quality.

Do you have a source for 3/4 NPT to M30 and M26 adapters?

mb911
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 14 2015, 03:05 PM) *

I'm in the market for an aluminum tank without the filter console. Whether I build or buy depends on price and quality.

Do you have a source for 3/4 NPT to M30 and M26 adapters?

I could make that even easier and yes possibly
mb911
here is a rough template. I will test fit over the next week or so and start to modifiy..
jmill
Looking good. If you're going to mass produce these you might want to invest in a press brake and a shear. It would save you a bunch of time and less welding.

I'm in the market for exhaust too!

I happen to have a spare 2.4T long block. If you don't have an engine maybe we can work a deal. rolleyes.gif
mb911
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 15 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Looking good. If you're going to mass produce these you might want to invest in a press brake and a shear. It would save you a bunch of time and less welding.

I happen to have a spare 2.4T long block. If you don't have an engine maybe we can work a deal. rolleyes.gif

I have one this is a template.. smile.gif
mb911
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 15 2015, 05:11 PM) *

I should have been clearer. I have a half inch shear and a 130 cnc brake press for mass production.. I needed to make a template that was rigid for fitting.. I sheared all the piece individual based off of measurements from Marks oil tank. I then tacked it up ..

I am feeling pretty good about the project and it will progress quickly from this point..

Definitely interested in a long block as well so trades are welcome.. I can still provide exhaust as well
mb911
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 15 2015, 05:11 PM) *

I should have been clearer. I have a half inch shear and a 130 cnc brake press for mass production.. I needed to make a template that was rigid for fitting.. I sheared all the piece individual based off of measurements from Marks oil tank. I then tacked it up ..

I am feeling pretty good about the project and it will progress quickly from this point..

Definitely interested in a long block as well so trades are welcome.. I can still provide exhaust as well
mb911
Ok another question for all of you. The oil line internal pipe size. I'm everyone's experience is the internal piping large enough for all engine displacement s?
mb911
Here is the first revision to the plug/template and the filter console template
mb911
and a comparison. may still need to revise more but its a process. And a quick shot of my last 914-6 90% completed. I did the entire car myself..
mb911
Ok another update. The revision fits in perfect.. This tank is the size of the outer perimeter of the seam weld of the original tank so it is a bit larger.. I will start working on a final prototype next week then do some final testing.. And then an initial run of 10 tanks..
brant
tank looks good

I made the same one about 5 years ago
I should of loaned you my templates...
mb911
It's ok I needed to do it from scratch for a sense of pride so to speak. Did you keep the internal oil lines the standard 5/8ths.??
brant
I kept the internal baffling and internal screen but then added an external filter.

I will dig up some pictures tonight
Eric_Shea
A drain cock would be much appreciated.

Excellent work so far.
mb911
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 17 2015, 02:23 PM) *

A drain cock would be much appreciated.

Excellent work so far.

I was thinking that something similar to the 911 tank? What do you think??

I also need to find a filler neck sample .. Any ideas out there or just buy one to sample?
Eric_Shea
I can send you one.

This is what I was thinking. I have one in my F250 and it's priceless:

IPB Image
mb911
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 17 2015, 04:02 PM) *

I can send you one.

This is what I was thinking. I have one in my F250 and it's priceless:

IPB Image

That would be perfect.. Where do you feel would be the best location for it. I would think as close to the oil fees line as possible as that is the lowest point but that would almost require removal of the rocker every time you change the oil
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2015, 12:30 PM) *

Ok another update. The revision fits in perfect.. This tank is the size of the outer perimeter of the seam weld of the original tank so it is a bit larger.. I will start working on a final prototype next week then do some final testing.. And then an initial run of 10 tanks..

Congrats on your efforts. I'm in for one of the first 10....of course depending on the final cost.
Thanks
mb911
QUOTE(396 @ Dec 17 2015, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2015, 12:30 PM) *

Congrats on your efforts. I'm in for one of the first 10....of course depending on the final cost.
Thanks

I will have special pricing on the 1st 10 so stay tuned.. I still trying to understand the competition pricing the pms site does pin down what comes with theirs.. Once I do that I can post intro pricing etc..

I fully expect end of January for the 1st 10 to be available
brant
pictures of the one I made about 8 years back..

also some research pictures you probably don't need
brant
and
brant
last:
mb911
It's hard to tell from the picture but is that vertical baffle about 3/4 width of the tank?
brant
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2015, 06:30 PM) *

It's hard to tell from the picture but is that vertical baffle about 3/4 width of the tank?

Yep. I wanted to reduce slosh but still allow drain back
wndsnd
Wow, you guys are some talented mofos. smile.gif

I will be in for one eventually but not sure I will make the first batch.
mb911
I am really excited to be back in the game and will introduce. 1 new product per month for 2016. I have a bunch of ideas that I have been stewing on since I sold the company . I do appreciate all the suggestions and I plan to offer an options list so you can order what you need.. Kind of like the good old days
mb911
Another question for you is of all the tanks out there along with all the engine sizes, and oil line fittings why is the internal oil lines all .620 ? that means regardless all the oil tanks are a restriction no matter what size oil lines.. To be clear has anyone had any issues with this? I plan to run the same size and want to appeal to the masses
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.