Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new way to make chassis stiffer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Pictures from a craigslist ad for a 75 in Michigan. I haven't contacted the seller as why this was done as the pan "looks" ok. Maybe their way to remove flex from the chassis, but betting rust issues.

screenguy914
Chassis flex is an issue with thin gauge chassis, thus his best guess solution. I bet the chassis is more rigid now despite some weight gain.

Yeah. Unprotected steel will corrode. Are the internals of the channel protected?

Sherwood
J P Stein
Looks like a new way to waste time, IMO.
Andyrew
The same amount of weight could have been added to the inner longs, where the real flex of the chassis takes place.
SirAndy
Maybe it's part of the lift and not the car. Could be someone fabbed that specifically to lift their car.
shades.gif
dflesburg
inner and outer longs (back to the rear shocks), behind the seats, fixing all the hell hole issues and firewall are enough... while you are at it, reinforce the dog ears if you are going to the track.

porschetub
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 10 2015, 07:24 AM) *

inner and outer longs (back to the rear shocks), behind the seats, fixing all the hell hole issues and firewall are enough... while you are at it, reinforce the dog ears if you are going to the track.

Gee here I was thinking the well proven methods have worked and then this gets thrown in the mix .... confused24.gif no av-943.gif .
Mueller
Side impact if getting hit by a really low vehicle?

I don't see it helping stiffen the chassis all that much...I doubt any before and after testing done.
GaroldShaffer

If it wasn't 4+ hours away I would go look at it, but I'm not a buyer for this car as they are asking $9500. Anyone in the Ann Arbor MI area care to take a look?

Craigslist ad

Mike D.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2015, 10:16 AM) *

Maybe it's part of the lift and not the car. Could be someone fabbed that specifically to lift their car.
shades.gif

This is what I thought when I first saw it. Doesn't look attached.... sawzall-smiley.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Dec 9 2015, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2015, 10:16 AM) *

shades.gif

This is what I thought when I first saw it. Doesn't look attached.... sawzall-smiley.gif

More I look at the pictures I guess you are right it doesn't look attached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.