Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Bar Re-hab-cracked.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
While looking at what I'd like to do on my car, this one stands out to me.

Almost every car that I see has this is one that always seems to stand out.

Is there a good way to fix this....meaning...process that anyone has tried?

I know there are a few vendors out there.

Looks like the factory used a foam layup fixture to manufacture these. The foam looks like a thermoset and then vacuum formed on some layup fixture.

I watched a video from "Just Dashboards" and it looks like this may be more than I want to take on given all the stuff I want to do on the interior of my car. I've seen vaccum forming done and the results are amazing given the equipment and expertise.

Any thoughts?

Anyone done it themselves?

How much did it cost?

Who did you use if you had somebody do it?

Rob
TravisNeff
Craig Laughlin (camp914) had a few done a while ago. Try contacting him.

I would love to see these next on 914Rubber's offerings smile.gif
worn
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 9 2015, 12:50 PM) *

Looks like the factory used a foam layup fixture to manufacture these. The foam looks like a thermoset and then vacuum formed on some layup fixture.

I watched a video from "Just Dashboards" and it looks like this may be more than I want to take on given all the stuff I want to do on the interior of my car. I've seen vaccum forming done and the results are amazing given the equipment and expertise.

Any thoughts?

How much did it cost?

Rob

I just recovered one. Worked well, but if I did it again it would go better. I used vinyl fabric and contact cement as well as a bit of urethane rubber. If any one has some for me to practice on I would happily pay to have them shipped out to me. If I got to be good at it they might start going back out. But I ain't no 914rubber.
Grump
I'll send you mine to recover. Send me a pm with email and will send photos. Anything you could do will be an improvement.

Thanks.. Bill
914_teener
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 9 2015, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 9 2015, 12:50 PM) *

Any thoughts?

How much did it cost?

Rob

I just recovered one. Worked well, but if I did it again it would go better. I used vinyl fabric and contact cement as well as a bit of urethane rubber. If any one has some for me to practice on I would happily pay to have them shipped out to me. If I got to be good at it they might start going back out. But I ain't no 914rubber.

Any pics?

How did you do it? Grind of the old vinyl and use utethane foam and then recover with vinyl?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.