Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unmolested 1976 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Folks have been asking me to post about my street 914. A 1976 2.0 that a found a while back. I got her for a good price. The car passes CA smog and is all there. My son and I finally had time to take her apart for inspection this weekend. Other than torn seats and a bad battery tray, this car turned out to be totally solid! smilie_pokal.gif

I was blown away by the fact that the car is so original. The undercoat sealer was still on the car and blown over the rockers on the inside! When I ended up looking at everything, we couldn't be happier about the integrity of the car. Blower motors work, and the car has BMW brakes up front. The car is 29 years old and has all the 914 quirks, but you have to respect and applaud a car when it's in this good a shape.

Here are some pics of her.

Bill P.
nine14cats
qwe
nine14cats
pic 3
teenrookie
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif Congratulations!! That is a great looking car.
nine14cats
Clean Longs!

Notice NO RUST at the jack point beer.gif

The scuz you see there is the freakin sealer the factory or dealer sprays everywhere in the wheel wells and on the bottom of the car....
nine14cats
Front Trunk look great except for a dent from something sliding in there...

No evidence of a collision.....
nine14cats
No damage or dimpling on the front end.....
Allan
Great looking car. '76's with smog are a little low on the HP side but being yellow it's gonna be fast. wink.gif
nine14cats
rear trunk solid laugh.gif
nine14cats
BMW calipers...
J P Stein
Nice color, too. I'm getting to like yellow. I just added some more to my eyebrows. Nuther 3 coats outta do it. wacko.gif
nine14cats
Seats Suck.....
nine14cats
nuther
nine14cats
But here are the new ones that can go in....(Thanks Fiid!)
nine14cats
Yep....yellow is faster! besides a dirty yellow car looks like smog....should blend right in!

here's the interior door panels....
nine14cats
And the left....
nine14cats
Interior carpet...looks original...but in great shape....
Qarl
Great looking car... remind me of what my car used to look like... once upon a time.

Looks like you found a bargain.

Regards,

Qarl
nine14cats
All of the heater and blower motors work!

nine14cats
Hi Karl,

Yeah...I think I did. It brings up a problem of sorts. The Grandpa, Father, Son team have been talking hot rod (V8, RAT4, another 6?), but now we're wondering if we should do the ode to stock restore. Not a concours weenie thing, but a clean stock rebuild....there is some elegance to that thought!

Tranny clean!
Qarl
Great looking car... remind me of what my car used to look like... once upon a time.

Looks like you found a bargain.

Regards,

Qarl
nine14cats
Even the light on the backpad works!
seanery
smilie_pokal.gif
nine14cats
Engine shot...all original...even smog pump works and has a new filter!
nine14cats
We're pretty happy about the condition of the car. It was a good day today!

Bill P. and crew (son - Kyle, grandpa)
CptTripps
Well done...looks like a winner.

I agree with the stock thing. There is something to be said for an original car.

Where did you find it? I'm always curious as to how people come across these things.
nine14cats
Hi Doug,

Being we live in CA, we get access to quite a few cars that have not been subjected to extreme weather.

This car was found on Craigslist....I called the guy up, we talked, I drove up with my trailer and bought it. He lived in a smaller city in CA that was off a main highway but was not a huge city. The car had been sitting in his garage not being driven much, so he decided to make room the garage for other things.

I also got a folder of receipts for repairs on the car dating back to the early 1980's! At least I know some of things that were done to the car.

Bill P.
Bleyseng
I found a place that has that yellow material for the seats if you want to re-do them.

Geoff biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 13 2005, 05:10 PM)
we're wondering if we should do the ode to stock restore. Not a concours weenie thing, but a clean stock rebuild....there is some elegance to that thought!

Bill - You already have the far end of the spectrum covered very well with your race car project. My vote is to keep this newest yellow one original.
sgomes
drooley.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Great looking car!!! Congratulations!
Seagrave
Add me to the list of people who think you should keep it original. There are not that many out there any more that haven't been either trashed or else modified in a non-recoverable way. Mine has changes that I wanted too but when you look at it, it is mostly the way it was sold. Just enough custom to make it unique. Nice car, great find.
Rhodes71/914
Great looking car, wife wishes ours was yellow.

Keep it original and get some of that plaid material that Geoff has access to, it's cool biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Bill,

That is one sweet car!

You guys are going to have a great family project. smilie_pokal.gif Anytime you need a fourth pair of hands give me a call. (Except for moving heavy furniture) laugh.gif

Felix
Trekkor
Good...Now come a/x it on the 20th. lol2.gif

KT
nine14cats
Hey Felix....I guess I owe you a move of furniture.... laugh.gif (inside joke... rolleyes.gif )

Trekkor...nope, my street cars do not see the track, the parking lot, the airfield, nada.....I like to keep them nice! Besides...I'm kinda hard on the equipment laugh.gif

Looking at the schedule, Doris and I most likely will not be able to run any events this year, we already know the car build schedule is against us. dry.gif We hope to run a few NCRC events at the end of the year if the car is ready to work on setups....if not...

Looking forward to the 2006 season....

Bill P.

Eric_Shea
I found a place that has that yellow material for the seats if you want to re-do them.

Out with it! ohmy.gif

That stuff rocks... just ugly and 70's enough to match out little beasts. If you have it I may cover my GT seats with it.
double-a
agree.gif

yeah, i'm looking for that same pattern in the orange color.

~a
nine14cats
Ok Geoff,

It sounds like there is several of us looking for that plaid.

Where is it? biggrin.gif

Bill P.
mike_the_man
Nice car! You've got to recover those seats in the plaid! I love the look of the plaid seats. Keep the car stock, it's too nice to hack up.

Bleyseng
This is one color....the red matches better than the yellow.
Its at GoWesty.com
Downunderman
Keep it original, but watch out for Dirk Wright disease.
Randal
Very nice car Bill.

If you find the right cloth pattern are you going to put in new panels?
Hi_Fi_Guy
Looks great.

Try World Upholstery in CA for the plaid pattern. They were able to come up with some nice original german tan basketweave pieces for me that I was unable to find elsewhere and were very helpful.

http://www.worlduph.com/

Their website is not the best but if you get someone on the phone they are usually very helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.