Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Welding Projects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Briby37
I'm just about to start a set of welding classes - MIG and TIG (TIG will include aluminum). Now, I'm not exactly thinking that I'll be good enough to be able to do something really meaningful for my 914 (pictures at the link below if you'd like). But I'm curious to hear if you all have any ideas for mostly novice welding projects that could benefit a 914. Maybe it'll generate some entertaining replies.

My car doesn't really need much in terms of welding, so I'm thinking mostly small aesthetic things or standalone items that are 914/Porsche-themed but don't necessarily go on the car.

Cheers!

My 914
r_towle
Weld yourself up a set of Jack stands and a rotisierre, you will need them.

mbseto
Shop stool, shelving brackets, pencil holder, heavy-duty dolly, repair all your neighbors' fire pits...
Elliot Cannon
If you're looking for a welding project for your 914, one of the best things you can do is weld in a stiffening kit for the inner longitudinal channels. It's a bit of work fitting everything up but once that's done the welding part is fairly easy. 914's are known to be "flexi-fliers" and the inner long. kit stiffens things up quite a bit and greatly improves the handling. Unless of course your car has already been done. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Thats a really clean looking car. I wouldnt do ANYTHING to it apart from rust repair if it needs it.

First thing most welders build is a cart for their welder. Next is a weld table, some special tools, ect.
Briby37
All good ideas so far. Thanks to everyone that's taken some time to look, think and respond! I live in an apartment complex and will be using a shared shop that has most of the gear. Things like jack stands seem pretty doable, and easy to stash away somewhere small until needed.
edwin
Not to sound negative but maybe it's best to try welding some parts that you don't have to trust your life with.
Jack stands are and easy make but can have terrible results if they fail.
If your teacher isn't getting you to break your welds then he's being too kind.
Tbrown4x4
IPB Image
falcor75
QUOTE(edwin @ Dec 11 2015, 10:28 AM) *

Not to sound negative but maybe it's best to try welding some parts that you don't have to trust your life with.
Jack stands are and easy make but can have terrible results if they fail.
If your teacher isn't getting you to break your welds then he's being too kind.

My thoughts exactly....make something less critical to start with.. welder.gif
wes
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Dec 11 2015, 01:52 AM) *

IPB Image

Like it!
nein14
QUOTE(wes @ Dec 11 2015, 09:50 AM) *

IPB Image

Like it!

I want one happy11.gif
LowBridge
that is EPIC!!!
lcjo73914

IPB Image

Nice
nein14
QUOTE(lcjo73914 @ Dec 17 2015, 08:57 AM) *

IPB Image

Nice

found the guy that made the Lamp sells for $450. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.