Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: want a covered trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
I'd like to get a covered trailer to haul the 914. Using the search engine didn't help, so I'll ask this way. I don't want a huge thing, just enough to carry the car and some stuff in the front. I'd like it to have an electric winch (which I assume I can add) and a pointed front. What size? I see some are 7x16. Big enough? What's the collective experience of the group? Thanks in advance
MJHanna
20 ft box is the smallest I would do. it will be very tight and limited in space for other items if your going to use it to take the car to the track. You are better off with a 24ft.
Olympic 914
Some people here have mentioned using a 7 x 14.

Probably the smallest you could fit a teener in.

I have considered buying one and kind of like the 7 x 16, also I would be using it to carry a motorcycle. and 7x16 is huge for that. guess I could haul 2 motorcycles though, if the occasion arose.

If you have a place to store it, bigger is usually better.
GaroldShaffer
Nothing less than 20'. You will need room to get up front to tie the 914 down plus room for the winch & battery. The bigger question is do you have a place to store the trailer when not in use?
shoguneagle
What are going use as the towing vehicle?

This basic item does make a difference in determining the length. I have a 16ft and it tows just fine behind a Chev Silverado with weight/anti-sway load leveling hitch. Using the same setup, a boxed 18 and a slanted front nose pull hard with a lot of sway. Just mentioning this since it is the start of what you want to/can do in a trailer.

My trailer is also fairly low, aluminum and low center of gravity. Strong and light.
BK911
I have a 20' and it has plenty of room. Couldn't imagine needing a 24'.
Cracker
I agree with the 20' length. Having said that, the typical process is to nearly always want something "a little" bigger. Obviously, your tow vehicle needs to be appropriately capable of towing your choice. You can make it easy on yourself and choose wisely up front.

I started with a 28 ft trailer with living quarters up front separately; then a 30 ft all garage; then open, and FINALLY back to 30 ft with separate front lounge (AC/Heat).

This hobby can be a journey...all the best.

Tony
brant
I have a 24 V-nose (so about 26foot in reality)
I wouldn't really want anything less than a 20
you can fit a car in something smaller, but you'd be surprised how much more you will want to put into that space
(tires, tools, motorcycle, etc)

really this is a decision that should be based on the tow vehicle
I ended up buying a dodge cummins to accommodate my trailer, and will never go back. best decision I've made, 600fl/lbs

but if the tow vehicle can not handle it, then I would buy the trailer that your vehicle can handle. or wait until you can afford the tow rig at the same time.

I towed my trailer exactly 1 time with a chevy 2500 van (what I used to tow with when I had the open trailer)

after 1 trip, I knew it was worth the tow rig upgrade

you won't regret the extra space of a larger trailer
the only way I would ever go back to an open trailer is with a formula car and by having 2 trailers at once.
Maltese Falcon
I chose the LOOK brand USA mfg. 20' v-nose.
2015 new trailer out the door for the price of a 5 year old used Haulmark or Featherlite. They are the new kid on the block, and their QC is awesome.Click to view attachment
bulitt
I did have a 7x14 and flared car fit fine with about 1 foot in front and 8" in rear open.

It just fit laugh.gif If you have the towing HP go bigger!

IPB Image
jfort
Thanks for all the info! I have Cayenne S. It has a capacity of 7700 GVWR (or whatever that unit is). 20' plus 2200# 914 OK?
GregAmy
I think a 20-footer with just your car and some light spares should pull fine behind a Cayenne S.

I've had 20', 24', and 28' for the various race cars. My general rule of thumb:

- 20' if you're just looking for basic transportation and some basic additional equipment (floor jack, stands, small toolbox, chairs, etc).
- 24' if you need to bring additional equipment/spares (rains, bigger toolbox, spare wheels/tires)
- 28' if you need more sets of spares wheels/tires, a scooter or maybe two, roller toolboxes, etc.
- Even bigger if you plan to bring a golf cart.

I'm currently using a 28-footer, pulled behind a PowerstrokeDiesel Excursion. I carriage the race car, two sets of spare wheels/tires, two roller toolboxes, a generator, two scooters, airdam/splitter/wing, and I have two lateral "basements" under the car for spare parts. I have a portable air conditioner in it, photovoltaic cell on the roof going into a power panel, and I occasionally use it for at-track accommodations. And there's even a little bit more space available...

I was not happy with the 20-footer in a race environment, just not big enough. but if I were carriaging the car for shows, for example, and not using it as a base for racing, it would be fine.

The 24-footer seemed fine most of the time. I occasionally wanted more space, but didn't really "need" it. I could get away with a 24-footer today if arranged well.

The 28-footer allows me to be sloppy in my packaging.

And enclosed trailers are nice because when I get home at oh-dark-thirty on a Sunday night all I have to do is pull into the driveway, grab my suitbag, and deal with unloading after I get home from work Monday evening.

As with TVs, you can't go big enough, because no matter what size you get you'll fill up the space and wish you had more. So spend some time soul-searching your actual mission expectations, and write that down. Buy accordingly, and each time you lament that it's not big enough pull out your mission statement and remind yourself why you have what you have.

GA
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 10 2015, 02:42 PM) *

I did have a 7x14 and flared car fit fine with about 1 foot in front and 8" in rear open.

It just fit laugh.gif If you have the towing HP go bigger!

IPB Image

Man that is tight!
EdwardBlume
I totally agree with 20 ft unless it's open deck. What's the point of enclosed if you don't take it all with you?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.