Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17mm master cylinder disposal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
Hey all, need some opinions...

This 19mm MC group buy came up, so I pulled my 17mm apart to see what condition it is in. Looks great, shiny and smooth. But there's no rebuild kits for the soft parts, and when there were, they were close to the 19mm group buy price anyway. Good time to retire the 17mm.

So here's the question... Would it be fair to sell the 17mm with full disclosure on the history, or would you consider this irresponsible due to inability to rebuild it?
mepstein
My opinion - trash
JeffBowlsby
Mail it to me please, will pay shipping.
Lennies914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 10 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Jeff,
I'm curious what your intentions are with it. I was going through my parts stash yesterday and had three of them in my hands and I couldn't bring myself to thow them out.
Lennie
JeffBowlsby
I can use them all. I prefer the 17mm over the 19mm MC. send me yours too!
Andyrew
The 17MM gives a softer pedal and longer travel, the 19mm gives a firm pedal and shorter travel... Its a preference thing and on a otherwise stock car I have to agree with Jeff smile.gif
7TPorsh
I want a new or rebuilt 17mm myself. The current one works fine but looks like crap on the outside so not sure what the condition is inside.

Can they be rebuilt? I would send mine in as a core...
Garland
I have a rebuild kit! Old stock and still usable, would love to get a core for a rebuild for my all stock 72. If any one else has a 17 there not going to use please pm me.

Thanks
dlestep
17mm has a higher clamp force.
Valy
Why would one buy a reproduction 19mm when they are available new?
If that was a 17mm reproduction, then I would be interested.
mbseto
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 10 2015, 03:45 PM) *

So, is there something I can do with this 17mm? Am I missing an opportunity? Is there a rebuild kit available that I haven't been able to find? The reason I posted this is in case someone needed one to maintain originality on some car, and knew how to do it safely. If that's you, I'll gladly send it to you. But curious if I'm missing something...

QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 11 2015, 01:35 AM) *

The GB on offer right now is $110. Haven't seen a deal that good on a quality MC.
76-914
stirthepot.gif All I can say is this subject was received much better than the last time it popped up. All of the Jack Stand and Spark Plug Guru's raised Hell. av-943.gif I grew up in the generation that did rebuild brake cylinders and would gladly buy a 17mm kit if it were available and NOT an Asian import. beerchug.gif
Valy
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 11 2015, 06:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 10 2015, 03:45 PM) *

So, is there something I can do with this 17mm? Am I missing an opportunity? Is there a rebuild kit available that I haven't been able to find? The reason I posted this is in case someone needed one to maintain originality on some car, and knew how to do it safely. If that's you, I'll gladly send it to you. But curious if I'm missing something...

The GB on offer right now is $110. Haven't seen a deal that good on a quality MC.

Well, the 19mm is available for $100 or less and the 17mm sometimes pops up (NOS) for $200-$300 like here http://m.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Master-Cylinde...9920?nav=SEARCH (no affiliation).

With all the respect to that reproduction, there are safety protocols in place for those things that need ro be respected or you won't live to tell. So why take the risk?
Mikey914
First of all, the 19mm ones are some time out still. There are over 20 separate parts that must be made and checked for proper operation. The sum of the perks must yield a part that will need to be tested and protocols still need to be established to assure a quality product.
This was brought on as a direct result of the URO parts "challenge" . As they are $hit, we decided to take on making these with some possible improvements.
So this will be a drawn out process due to the process, but you can be assured they will not be a URO paperweight.

Also, just a heads up, you may want to hold onto your 17mm cores rolleyes.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 11 2015, 10:57 AM) *

Well, the 19mm is available for $100 or less and the 17mm sometimes pops up (NOS) for $200-$300 ...

With all the respect to that reproduction, there are safety protocols in place for those things that need ro be respected or you won't live to tell. So why take the risk?

Well, a reproduction is new- do you mean OEM? I'm not particular, as long as it's a quality product. My only point here is that the 17mm rebuild kits I've seen (if they are even available) is comparable in price to a new and complete 19mm MC. I'd rather rebuild the 17mm, but it has to make economic sense.

The risk question is not a worry for me. I understand why people mention it but not why it always blows up here. These cylinders were not handed down to the factory from god, they've possibly had plenty of human hands on them from the factory to whatever owners or shops had them before we bought them. Who knows who messed with them. In my mind, the risky behavior is NOT rebuilding the cylinder- yourself, if you have the know-how.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 11 2015, 12:50 PM) *

First of all, the 19mm ones are some time out still....
Also, just a heads up, you may want to hold onto your 17mm cores rolleyes.gif

My car being on the road is also "some time out". Are we talking weeks? Months? When you say hold on to the cores, are you planning to make a rebuild kit available, or have a trade-in for a 17mm?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.