Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From the reservoir to the Master Cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Do I need to use plastic tubing between the reservoir and the Master Cylinder? I'm having problems finding a suitable replacement in plastic.

What about just using 5/16 fuel hose with crimps at either end?
IronHillRestorations
Don't do it Doug. Brake fluid will destroy the wrong rubber or plastic. Are the factory parts still available? Are you OK with used parts?
scotty914
go to a medical supply place and pick up some silicon tube

but what ever you try, let it sit in brake fluid over night then check it out
Allan
Will Teflon tubing work? I noticed they sell various sizes at Lowes.
CptTripps
QUOTE (9146986 @ Mar 13 2005, 10:53 PM)
Don't do it Doug. Brake fluid will destroy the wrong rubber or plastic. Are the factory parts still available? Are you OK with used parts?

Whew...that was a close one then!

I was thinking it looks pretty close to the tubing they used to install my fridge. biggrin.gif

The problem was that I removed mine by cutting the line. I figured I could just get more, I didn't realize it'd be this big of a deal.

Thanks for everyone's help.
smg914
Porsche Part #'s 914 355 061 00 and 914 355 063 00
Give Pelican, Stoddards and Auto Atlanta a try.
CptTripps
None of them have the parts.

Pelican says NLA...bummer. Looks like I'll have to find something else that'll work.

I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find.
Type 4 Unleashed
Doug, there is a hose for brake fluid, it's the blue braded line, most VW auto parts stores carry it, and as for the hard lines, (the ones you cut) there are enough folks here parting out 914's that some one should have a pair.

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

Richard
double-a
agree.gif

plenty of parts cars out there to get the feeder lines from. i broke one of mine while removing the old, defective master cylinder. i got a 19mm mc from rich at hph, and simply requested a good used feeder line. it worked perfectly.

~a
Type 4
I have a set out of a low mileage car they are in good shaps.
Here is a photo
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det...l.php?id=114598
McMark
I'm sure they're on one of the two parts cars in my front yard. PM me where to send them. biggrin.gif
Series9
Pelican Parts under Porsche:914:Brakes:MC feed lines.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images...e_line_hose.JPG
McMark
I think he needs the clear plastic hose, Joe. Goes between the Master Cylinder and that hose you pictured.
McMark
Doug, confirm, please. Part #5 or #11/12?
Series9
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 13 2005, 11:56 PM)
I think he needs the clear plastic hose, Joe. Goes between the Master Cylinder and that hose you pictured.

Yeah, I should have explained better.

I replaced my plastic tubing with a pair of the braided blue hoses.
McMark
Ahhh. I probably have a second set of plastic lines if you want some. wink.gif

lol2.gif
xsboost90
i think im in the same situation. I removed my mc and lines to replace w/ new lines and a 19mm, and had to cut the hoses off the mc as they would not come out. Can i just run metal brake lines from the res- to the mc? I dont see why not, no pressure, just fitment would be the only issue, but hardlined would be pretty!
CptTripps
Looks like us Ohio boys have all the fun projects!

Yes, 11/12 is what I need.

I'd thought about replacing them with that blue braided hose, and that may be the route I take.

I'll contact a few of you to see who has what parts.

I'm also thinking of replacing the master cylinder while I'm at it. Do they go bad? My brakes were almost useless when I drove the car for 2-days before I put it up on the stands for it's overhaul. They didn't feel squishey, just didn't stop the car very well. Like I was pushing hard, and it wasn't compressing anythign all that much.

Thanks gang!
davep
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 14 2005, 05:35 AM)
I'm also thinking of replacing the master cylinder while I'm at it. Do they go bad?

What an understatement. Back in the days, 70's 80's etc, it was common to replace them every 7 years. By now it should be on its fourth one, looking for # 5.
CptTripps
Good point...I'll get another ordered today. If I'm using BMW's up front, and stock int he rear with a T in place of the prop valve, should I get a 17mm or a 19mm? The one that was on there was a 19mm, but it didn't work that well for me. Thoughts?
Rusty
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 14 2005, 02:04 AM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 13 2005, 11:56 PM)
I think he needs the clear plastic hose, Joe.  Goes between the Master Cylinder and that hose you pictured.

Yeah, I should have explained better.

I replaced my plastic tubing with a pair of the braided blue hoses.

Did you get a picture? smile.gif

Where did you source your blue braided hoses?

-Rusty smoke.gif
McMark
QUOTE (Doug Hartman @ 03/14/05)
I'll contact a few of you to see who has what parts.

Doug, as I said earlier, I HAVE A SET OF #11/12, WHERE SHOULD I SHIP THEM? Sheesh. Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself. rolleyes.gif
davep
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 14 2005, 06:20 AM)
should I get a 17mm or a 19mm? The one that was on there was a 19mm, but it didn't work that well for me. Thoughts?

I've never used a 17mm as a replacement in 29 years. That must mean I have used a lot of 19mm. Gotta get to work on those 20mm some day.
CptTripps
Thanks McMark. I was gettiing there...

PM Sent.
McMark
beerchug.gif
Series9
Keep in mind:

Larger master cylinder=Less leverage

This is a mistake many people make. A 19mm MC is NOT an upgrade as many places advertise. What you get is a firmer pedal because you have less leverage to apply your brakes.

You don't need a larger MC unless you have much more than factory brakes. I have a 19mm w/a total of 20 pistons at the wheels. Your stock brakes have a total of 8.

That being said, I probably need a slightly larger MC and may replace it this year, but like I said, I NEED something larger to move the amount of fluid required to operate 20 pistons.
CptTripps
Just called PP and bought a new 19mm, all new lines, new pads, rebuild parts, and a speed-bleeder.

I'm going to add a T to the back in place of the prop valve and re-build all 4 calipers. If I aint stoppin' after all that, I need to find another hobby!

I also ordered a few feet of the blue hose to replace what I cut off. I still need the feeder lines though. Jsut to make sure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.