Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The End of a Legend - Brumos is No More
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
It was a quiet announcement here in Jacksonville yesterday until social media and my buddy Harris Snodgrass (Porsche builder and son of the late famed Bob Snodgrass) chimed in. Come 2016, Brumos will be no more.

Family owned and operated Fields has already bought the local Land Rover and Jaguar dealerships, as well as dealerships just outside of JAX in St. Augustine. Brumos owned 9 dealerships in Jacksonville from Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus and Smart Car. Fields will be changing the sign above the door come February 2016.

No word yet on what will become of the famed Brumos Porsche Museum and all those historic race cars, rarities and vintage pristine stock cars. Also no word on if this will be the demise of the Brumos Racing Team (which is what made Brumos the leader in America and a close relationship with Porsche in Stuttgart).

Here is the new article in Jacksonville Business Journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/ne...mp;t=1449683529

Recent pic with legendary Brumos Porsche race car driver and Brumos VP Hurley Haywood with his one-off Brumos Racing livery Porsche 918 Spyder

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Yeah, we've been talking about it for a couple of days.

Brumos Sold

bandjoey
Old Brumos plate frames are going in thr $$$ range online. New ones are on their site for $20. Stock up now. A lot of their product is already showing sold out.
EdwardBlume
What a waste of legend....
somd914
Outside of the name, Brumos dealership has previously changed hands over the years. Even from a racing perspective Brumos backed out a couple of years ago, but evidently has been contemplating a return.

So shouldn't we wait and see what Fields does, besides a name change, before we all jump to conclusions?
Pat Garvey
No one ever just leave anything alone!
billh1963
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 11 2015, 07:45 PM) *

So shouldn't we wait and see what Fields does, besides a name change, before we all jump to conclusions?

Uhhhhh.....no! This is the Internet, remember? laugh.gif
Cracker
Thank God for that!

Tony

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 11 2015, 08:18 PM) *

No one ever just leave anything alone!

carr914
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 11 2015, 07:45 PM) *

Outside of the name, Brumos dealership has previously changed hands over the years. Even from a racing perspective Brumos backed out a couple of years ago, but evidently has been contemplating a return.

Not really, at one time is was Brundage and then Brumos Peter Gregg bought it in 1965. His widow Deborah then became CEO. My friend Bob Snodgrass joined around 1990. He became President & CEO. Dano Davis (who was CEO & Owner of Winn Dixie Supermarkets) was the Financial backer. When Bob died, Dano stepped forward in a larger role. When Bob died so did the Racing Passion as Davis did not possess that. The DP Team became Action Express, they did a 911 GT3 for a year or so - last year, Patrick Dempsey racing carried the Colors for a couple races, but it was not the Brumos team

So it had 2 Owners since 1965.
URY914
Took this shot yesterday..........

maf914
The first Daytona 24 Hrs I attended was in 1973 which was won by the Brumos Carrera RSR (Gregg/Haywood) after the similar Penske Sunoco RSR (Donohue/Follmer) dropped out. It was always fun to see Brumos sponsored sports cars at races. I am sad to see them go.

The photos below are from a google search.
vw505
I used to drive by there every day when I lived in Jax. Sad to see it change.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 12 2015, 04:51 PM) *

URY914, you live in JAX too?
URY914
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 14 2015, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 12 2015, 04:51 PM) *

URY914, you live in JAX too?

I do now. I moved up in June. What part of town do you live?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.