Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter project - engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Numerous world members mentioned the smoke screen my car was putting out during the Spring drive last year. I even believe there was some jockeying of position as to NOT be right behind me. biggrin.gif It's leaking it's fair share too.

I had no information on this engine when I bought the car...just got it sorted, put it in the shed during the restoration, pulled it out and started driving (about 20K miles). It doesn't owe me anything.

Picked up compression and leak-down testers from Harbor Freight. Both were fine for my purposes, although it took some time to get the leak down tester properly zeroed out before the test.

Results as follows:

Leakdown

Cyl
1 - 29%
2 - 37%
3 - 31%
4 - 31%

Compression

Cyl "Dry" (Oiled)
1 68 (80)
2 80 (88)
3 80 (88)
4 100 (110)

Haynes manual says 120-156 normal, 93 min.

The old 2.0 D-jet engine is still running like a top and has decent power, so I'm gonna keep adding oil and driving until the salt hits the roads...then pull the engine for a rebuild over the winter.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 11 2015, 03:03 PM) *

Numerous world members mentioned the smoke screen my car was putting out during the Spring drive last year. I even believe there was some jockeying of position as to NOT be right behind me. biggrin.gif It's leaking it's fair share too.

I had no information on this engine when I bought the car...just got it sorted, put it in the shed during the restoration, pulled it out and started driving (about 20K miles). It doesn't owe me anything.

Picked up compression and leak-down testers from Harbor Freight. Both were fine for my purposes, although it took some time to get the leak down tester properly zeroed out before the test.

Results as follows:

Leakdown

Cyl
1 - 29%
2 - 37%
3 - 31%
4 - 31%

Compression

Cyl "Dry" (Oiled)
1 68 (80)
2 80 (88)
3 80 (88)
4 100 (110)

Haynes manual says 120-156 normal, 93 min.

The old 2.0 D-jet engine is still running like a top and has decent power, so I'm gonna keep adding oil and driving until the salt hits the roads...then pull the engine for a rebuild over the winter.

Consider going to 96mm pistons ....get your current cylinders bored to match & you're good to go!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.