Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor cap nubbin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
While cleaning electrical contacts of corrosion I just had to reach in and touch the Nubbin I'm holding in this picture, so of course it popped out.
I've managed to put it back in but I'm not sure I trust that its in securely.
It now leans like the tower of pisa in its little receptacle.
So to most of you out there this is a very basic item but I don't know what it does or if I can trust that its back in correctly.
An explanation is greatly welcome.

Thanks.
DBCooper
It's the carbon contact between the main lead in the center of the cap that carries current from the coil lead through the rotor to each of the spark plug leads. Spring loaded to keep it in contact as the rotor spins. If it's leaning it's in crooked and probably won't last very long, will be spun out and your car will stop dead almost certainly in the middle of a very busy intersection.

74ravenna
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 12 2015, 11:16 AM) *

It's the carbon contact between the main lead in the center of the cap that carries current from the coil lead through the rotor to each of the spark plug leads. Spring loaded to keep it in contact as the rotor spins. If it's leaning it's in crooked and probably won't last very long, will be spun out and your car will stop dead almost certainly in the middle of a very busy intersection.

Excellent explanation. I will keep messing with it until its in correctly.

Thanks so much for the help.
fixer34
I don't think there is much 'messing' you can do with it. One end of the carbon rod should be smaller-it fits into the spring inside the cap, that's what holds it in place. It may not be perfectly straight in the cap, but it shouldn't lean too much either. Might be time for a new cap.
Spoke
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Dec 12 2015, 01:03 PM) *

Might be time for a new cap.

agree.gif

If you can convince yourself the contact is secure and won't fall out, keep the cap. The downside to having this issue as mentioned is having to push your car home. A new cap is never a bad idea.
74ravenna
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Dec 12 2015, 01:03 PM) *

I don't think there is much 'messing' you can do with it. One end of the carbon rod should be smaller-it fits into the spring inside the cap, that's what holds it in place. It may not be perfectly straight in the cap, but it shouldn't lean too much either. Might be time for a new cap.

Hi fixer34,

Its funny, no matter how much i tried I couldn't get it to stay in unless it was way crooked. I also thought it might be time for a new cap, but once I went onto 914world and asked the question and got an answer (thanks dbcooper) within a minute I had it fitting about 95% straight and it seems to be in quite securely.

Thanks.

sixnotfour
you need a bosch cap or better quality with brass terminals
boxsterfan
I would drop $10 on a new cap.
DBCooper
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 12 2015, 12:49 PM) *

I would drop $10 on a new cap.

+4 A lot of times when you're in college and broke you can put the contact back in successfully but you never know, and then when they fail it's ALWAYS when it's most inconvenient and raining. Ten bucks, cheap, good insurance, no worries.

By the way, looking at your photo I didn't see the spring it seats into. Maybe it's in place, I don't know, can't really see into the hole.

Shadowfax
Not sure if the 2.0 caps are the same as 1.7 or 1.8 but I have a spare 2.0 cap you can have. It's Bosch or Bremi -- can't remember offhand -- with a few hundred miles on it. PM me if you're interested and I'll get it mailed out Monday.
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with sixer. Get a new cap. A Bosch cap!! You'll be "miles ahead".
ripper911
I don't think I've ever noticed that piece. huh.gif

smoke.gif
r_towle
Get two caps, keep one in the trunk.
74ravenna
Thanks all for the great advice. I will certainly get a new cap (or two!)

r_towle
A) what is your name and real location?

B) Northern Foreign Auto Parts in Nashua, they will,have,what you need....

Rich
74ravenna
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 12 2015, 07:57 PM) *

A) what is your name and real location?

B) Northern Foreign Auto Parts in Nashua, they will,have,what you need....

Rich

A) Steve

B) Kensington
r_towle
Steve, glad to meet.

John , Wndsnd is near you, so is
Gandalf and Scotty.

There must be a local foreign place for parts nearby....but if you need any used stuff, feel free to reach out, I have a decent stash.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.