Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov

Is it practical to remove the transaxle from a V8 conversion without removing the engine?

Clutch broke and needs replacing...
Mueller
QUOTE(nick mironov @ Dec 12 2015, 11:10 AM) *

Is it practical to remove the transaxle from a V8 conversion without removing the engine?

Clutch broke and needs replacing...

Depends on the kit, the easiest I've ever done was with a Jaide design V8 swap kit, about 1/2 hour to remove the transmission.

Bruce Hinds
Renegade and Kennedy not a problem either. Loosen the bolts on the end of the cross bar a bit so you can tilt the engine back slightly(watch the distributor), support the back of the engine at the adapter plate and you can slide the tranny out.
tomrev
It saves a lot of mucking around, as you aren't draining the coolant, and re-bleeding on install; it's how I do it.
Cracker
We do this often...we always pull both the engine and trans together. With a conventional set-up/wet-sump engine I can have the drivetrain out in less than 30 minutes. This is, however, using a lift.

If you have the right tools (Trans jack for instance) then leave the engine in - if you don't, well, it might be easier pulling it out as a complete unit. Installing an engine is easy.

Tony
Andyrew
I've done it when my clutch broke. But honestly its an hour to to the trani by yourself and 3 hours to to the engine/trani by yourself... If you havent drained the coolant in a while then why not just pull the combo, pressurewash both after checking for leaks, replace the belts, and just an overall inspection?

This is on the ground time.. With a lift its half that easy..
Mike Bellis
I've done it with My V8. it's easy but brace the motor with a jack so it doesn't twist the mounting bar.

If your only required maintenance is the clutch, go for it.
Cracker
If Mike B. would help you (he's not far away) it would be a breeze. In fact, there seems to be a large Bay community in attendance on the World. Come'on guys...wheres the love? Offer lunch and beer and see what comes out of the woodwork. He's done it before too... poke.gif rolleyes.gif

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.