Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing intake manifold rubber connecting hoses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi All,

Dumb question here but can't find the answer using search, maybe because it is obvious!

When replacing the rubber manifold connecting hoses, it looks like the two manifolds need to be removed and a new gasket fitted when reinstalling? If this correct or is there a simpler way to replace the rubber hoses. I did not want to go pulling the manifolds off, since I do not have new gaskets handy, only to find out there is an easy way. I did remove the old rubber hoses by scoring the top with a razor knife and then prying them apart.

Thanks,

Mike
914Sixer
Both side have to come off. Intake block should be good, remove gently. Take a razor knife and cut the rubber tubes and remove them before unbolting the manifolds. They will come off a whole lot easier. Lube up the new tubes with silicon spray and slide them on throttle body, then insert the runners lining them up with the intake studs.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 12 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Both side have to come off. Intake block should be good, remove gently. Take a razor knife and cut the rubber tubes and remove them before unbolting the manifolds. They will come off a whole lot easier. Lube up the new tubes with silicon spray and slide them on throttle body, then insert the runners lining them up with the intake studs.

Thanks. So, I do need to order a new set of manifold gaskets, correct?

Dave_Darling
One note of warning: The 1.7 manifold boots are not available. You may be able to find hose of the correct diameter, but do that before you take your car apart.

The 1.8 and 2.0 used larger-diameter hose.

--DD
Amphicar770
I do have the 2.0, so all good there. Removed them this evening. The manifold gaskets were like hard pieces of plastic. New set is on the way. Hoses were not brittle but are probably quite old. Maybe I will powder coat the runners while they are out (hmm, grey, color, or chrome).

Do you recommend installing the gaskets with any sort of gasket cement / sealer?

Thanks. This forum is the best!

bdstone914
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 12 2015, 11:59 PM) *

I do have the 2.0, so all good there. Removed them this evening. The manifold gaskets were like hard pieces of plastic. New set is on the way. Hoses were not brittle but are probably quite old. Maybe I will powder coat the runners while they are out (hmm, grey, color, or chrome).

Do you recommend installing the gaskets with any sort of gasket cement / sealer?

Thanks. This forum is the best!

No sealer is needed on the gaskets. You can use chrome color powder coating but do not try to chrome plate them. The ends are cast aluminum. The ends look good bead blasted and burnished with a wire wheel if you like shiny parts.
JawjaPorsche
Considering replacing your manifold intake gaskets while you are in there.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...T_pg2.htm#item7
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 13 2015, 12:59 AM) *

The manifold gaskets were like hard pieces of plastic. New set is on the way.

You did order the same phenolic ones right? Do not use paper gaskets for this.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 13 2015, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 13 2015, 12:59 AM) *

The manifold gaskets were like hard pieces of plastic. New set is on the way.

You did order the same phenolic ones right? Do not use paper gaskets for this.

Yes, ordered the victor reinz ones as shown at PP.

Old ones had some kind of sealant on them but I will just install the new gasket as is.

These little projects become a classic case of shipwrights disease. I'm now thinking that since I have the runners off, this might be a good time to install the new engine wiring harness that I bought a while ago. One of these days I will drop the engine to do a 40 year maintenance and clean up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.