Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil pressure sender hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
era vulgaris
I've developed a leak at the oil pressure sender. However, I have a dual sender and a hose that goes from the sender to the location where the stock oil pressure switch screws into the case.
I'm guessing I need to get a new hose. Where do I get one of these with the correct threads for the sender switch location?

I'm also going to replace my oil cooler seals while I'm at it. Is there any difference between brands of oil cooler seals? One better than another?
76-914
Off of a grease gun.
era vulgaris
For real? No mods to it, just plug and play?
BeatNavy
I used AA's "kit": http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Oil-Pre...PN-B150752.html

Not recommending it necessarily as it's not really a great value (it is AA after all), but it did work plug and play and I was kind of in a rush at the time to get something in place.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 13 2015, 10:00 AM) *

I used AA's "kit": http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Oil-Pre...PN-B150752.html

Not recommending it necessarily as it's not really a great value (it is AA after all), but it did work plug and play and I was kind of in a rush at the time to get something in place.

Oooooh man that's pricey! The braided SS does look good though.
cary
Rubber Grease Gun Hose.
Hanging on a hook a NAPA.
era vulgaris
Awesome, I'll pick one up today. Thanks guys!

Any word on the oil cooler seals?
cary
http://type4store.com/products/gaskets-seals.html?p=2

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._pg5.htm#item19

I'm pretty sure I bought mine from PP. But I like the detail at Type 4 stating that there are two thicknesses.

era vulgaris
QUOTE(cary @ Dec 13 2015, 11:51 AM) *

http://type4store.com/products/gaskets-seals.html?p=2

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._pg5.htm#item19

I'm pretty sure I bought mine from PP. But I like the detail at Type 4 stating that there are two thicknesses.

I was only curious as far as quality, but now I'm confused. When I did these on my old car, both were the same thickness. Is the T4 store indicating that you're supposed to use one of each thickness?
Anyone with the Tangerine Remote Oil Cooler Takeoff kit want to chime in as to which they used?

Also I'm surprised 914rubber doesn't make these. Unless I missed them, but I looked through the entire site.
stugray
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 13 2015, 10:07 AM) *

I was only curious as far as quality, but now I'm confused. When I did these on my old car, both were the same thickness. Is the T4 store indicating that you're supposed to use one of each thickness?

Anyone with the Tangerine Remote Oil Cooler Takeoff kit want to chime in as to which they used?

Also I'm surprised 914rubber doesn't make these. Unless I missed them, but I looked through the entire site.

I need the answer as well. I have the tangerine racing block off plate and was about to buy a set of seals from PP.
There is one set that is $$ and the other cheaper.
Was planning on getting one set of each.

As for the:

"Where do I get one of these with the correct threads for the sender switch location?"

I don't want to restart that argument, but there are some that believe that thread is actually metric.

I used a 10mm metric thread adapter to switch to 1/8NPT to screw my grease gun hose into.
You can see the adapter. It is the brass piece that is barely visible above the tin:
IPB Image

I believe this is the adapter I ordered:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productde....asp?RecID=1832

Most just thread the grease gun hose 3/8" NPT right into the case and call it good.
ejm
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 13 2015, 12:07 PM) *
When I did these on my old car, both were the same thickness. Is the T4 store indicating that you're supposed to use one of each thickness?

For some VW applications there are thick and thin seals depending on the case/cooler/upright adapter. Upper/lower most likely refers to something there. T4's use two of the thin seals. Pelicans choice is aftermarket or Genuine Porsche, same size, much different price.
I've seen grease gun hose failures enough times to never use one again. They collapse internally, completely restricting flow and indicate no pressure when there is and pressure when there isn't. Grease gun and paintball hoses were never intended to take the heat seen in engine compartments.
Bleyseng
I went to a Brake/Hydraulic hose Shop that makes any hose any size with any fittings for $30 in 5 minutes.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 13 2015, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 13 2015, 12:07 PM) *
When I did these on my old car, both were the same thickness. Is the T4 store indicating that you're supposed to use one of each thickness?

For some VW applications there are thick and thin seals depending on the case/cooler/upright adapter. Upper/lower most likely refers to something there. T4's use two of the thin seals. Pelicans choice is aftermarket or Genuine Porsche, same size, much different price.
I've seen grease gun hose failures enough times to never use one again. They collapse internally, completely restricting flow and indicate no pressure when there is and pressure when there isn't. Grease gun and paintball hoses were never intended to take the heat seen in engine compartments.

That's interesting because the leak began after the first long distance trip I took with the car. 4+ hour drive, with a lot of 75mph+ sections. Longest sustained high speed driving I'd ever done with the car. It probably couldn't take the heat for that long. I did notice strange fluctuations in the readings on the oil pressure gauge during the drive - it would drop a few psi at times and then come back up. Likely the hose collapsing internally as you mentioned.

So then what's the best solution? Brake/hydraulic hose, as Bleyseng said?
era vulgaris
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 13 2015, 02:49 PM) *

I don't want to restart that argument, but there are some that believe that thread is actually metric.

I did come across that thread while searching earlier. Let's not go down that road again beerchug.gif
brant
Ordered that fitting.
Thanks Stu!
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 13 2015, 07:23 PM) *

I went to a Brake/Hydraulic hose Shop that makes any hose any size with any fittings for $30 in 5 minutes.

How's that working out? Any issues with it? Care to share the name of the shop? biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
One thing when using a rubber hose is don't forget you will have to ground out the sender.
GregAmy
Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing sells a remote-mount hose; that's what I'm running in both my cars.
bdstone914
1982 928 rear caliper flex line. Bought one at O Reily for about $20 and it was Ate brand. I would not use the grease gun hose. probably not made for the temp it will see in the engine bay.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 13 2015, 10:21 PM) *

Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing sells a remote-mount hose; that's what I'm running in both my cars.

Where is it on Tangerine's site? Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not finding it.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 14 2015, 07:46 AM) *

1982 928 rear caliper flex line. Bought one at O Reily for about $20 and it was Ate brand. I would not use the grease gun hose. probably not made for the temp it will see in the engine bay.

Awesome, thanks! I'll try that out.

Edit: just checked and none of the locations in my area stock it sad.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 14 2015, 10:10 AM) *

Special order only for now, not going to be on the site this year at least.
I do have some on the shelf.
stugray
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 14 2015, 07:48 AM) *

Is it stainless braided hose?
What threads are on the case end?
$$?
blackmoon
I bought one for my sender at a local hotrod shop, seem to remember it was much money
era vulgaris
I just ordered a 928 rear brake line. We'll see how that does. If it fails too, then I'll get in touch with Chris.

I removed the old hose and inspected it. Looks like a grease gun hose. Oil is seeping up through the metal collars at each end. The hose itself appears deformed in a couple spots. I think these are definitely not ideal for the heat in an engine compartment, as others have mentioned.
BeatNavy
That's part of the reason I went and sprung for the braided option at AA. Plus you don't have to ground it separately, as Mark mentioned.
RohJay
I use this, from a British vendor "LMA Performance"

Click to view attachment

Might not be viable for those in the US after factoring in shipping cost .

http://www.lmaautoparts.com/products/REMOTE_T-PIECE_KIT_M10/
Al Meredith
You can use a Paint Ball gun braided hose.
Brett W
What am I missing here, its a 10x1.0 BSP thread on the case and whatever the thread you need on the other end to match your sending units. Why all this talk about grease gun hose, paint ball hoses, etc. Call your local hose shop and have them make one up with the proper fittings.

These guys can probably direct you to a dealer in your area that could make the hose for you.
http://www.brakequip.com/

If you can't find one I can supply them. You just need to let me know what fitting you need on the pressure sending unit end.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 14 2015, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 14 2015, 07:48 AM) *

Is it stainless braided hose?
What threads are on the case end?
$$?

Yes, stainless braided.
1/8"NPT both ends. The end fittings are AN-NPT adapters which can be changed to Metric.
23.95, delivered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.