Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
#1RAGE
Hi,

I'm a fairly new 914 owner and a couple of weeks ago a noticed a strong gas smell but I didn't really investigate it until today. I pulled out on to the driveway and looked underneath the car and found a fairly large wet spot under the gas tank. When the car is running I can see a steady stream of gas coming out of the wet spot going right to the ground.

So it seems to leak badly when it is running and very little or not at all when the engine is off. I'm thinking it must be the fuel pump or a loose connection somewhere near the bottom of the tank.

I have a Haynes manual that came with the car and I can't tell where it is located by looking at the pictures and it does not say where either. So where is the fuel pump? confused24.gif I'd like to investigate the problem myself in case it is something simple to fix, if not I will take it to the mechanic to get it fixed.

My car is a 1974 1.8L USA model.

Thanks
Brad Roberts
Unless somebody moved your fuel pump to the front.. the pump will be just in front of the right rear tire right next to the frame rail.

I'm betting your fuel lines are rotted as they come off the tank.

Let me dig out some pics..

B
Mueller
The '74 pump "should be" all the way down in the corner of the engine compartment below the battery area...you can only see it from underneath the car.

Some people have relocated the pump to the front area near the tank.

I'd replace all of the fuel related hoses if you do not know the history of them.

The lines that go directly to the injectors also spring leaks so check there as well.

$50 in fuel lines now will be cheaper than having the car go up in flames barf.gif
Brad Roberts
This is what your fuel pump should look like.. IF the car is fuel injected...

B
Mueller
Oh yea, with the 1.8, you can turn on the pump without turning on the car....

With the key in the ignition (turned as if the car was running) open the flapper on the AFM...this will turn on and activate the fuel pump to help diagnose the problem
#1RAGE
Ah... well if the pump is near the engine then it is more likely a hose problem. I don't know how old the hoses are but they very well could be all original. I'll post more here after I take another look later today.

Thanks for the help so far. biggrin.gif
tod914
replacing the fuel lines is easy even for a rookie like me. youll have no trouble doing it. the pelican site has plenty of info on howto
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. Go to the Pelican site for ALL your 914 questions... LOL

We sit on our ass here and "think" about what we will do to our cars...LOL

B
Mueller
DO NOT drive the car if leaking fuel....

If still factory injected, the pump is feeding the injectors 30psi of fuel as soon as the car is running....

If the leak is on top as if a leaking injector hose, the fuel can drip onto the hot exhaust and up in flames the car (and you if not lucky) will go sad.gif
tod914
Yeah.. Go to the Pelican site for ALL your 914 questions... LOL

Well if this bbs had a "how to do" section, you wouldnt need to goto the Pelican site splat.gif

BIG LOL on that 1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.