Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing just the steering column cover?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

I'd like to blast and repaint the steering column cover, which has become pitted (pic below). Is there a way to get the cover off without unbolting the unit from the steering shaft? If not, can you provide some tips for removal/replacement?

If I have to pull it off the shaft I will, but I'm not a fan of messing with things unless I have to wink.gif.

I've searched the interweb and there's lots on changing the bearing, but I can't seem to find the process of removing the cover.

Thanks!
Click to view attachment
r_towle
It's all one thing pressed together.

Use tape to keep the shaft from getting painted, it will be easier.

Rich
iankarr
Thanks, Rich.

I saw some pics with the cover off (like the one from '75 below), so figured it could be done. Or is that just on the later cars?
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
75-76 column is completely different. It sourced from the VW Rabbit. It is plastic and mounts differently.
iankarr
makes sense. thanks guys!
iankarr
So...in trying to separate the column from the universal joint I lightly tapped on the housing with a hammer and...lo and behold...the universal joint stayed put, but the housing came free of the column. Just like the previous picture reference. Seems that the single bolt through the housing on the left underside also anchors the housing to the shaft. Once that's out, all you have to do is tap a bit and the housing comes free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.