Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding Helmets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PlantMan
Ladies and Gents,

Need recommendations on good helmets. This is something I will be using on the weekend when working on the car and other projects, not for everyday use. I am sure my kids will be using it too so offer up any suggestions on equipment you would require your kids to wear.
I have a cheap helmet which would probably be fine for quick tasks but want to insure the safety of others too.

Much appreciated.

Kevin welder.gif
tomrev
[quote name='PlantMan' date='Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM' post='2277088']
Ladies and Gents,

Need recommendations on good helmets. This is something I will be using on the weekend when working on the car and other projects, not for everyday use. I am sure my kids will be using it too so offer up any suggestions on equipment you would require your kids to wear.
I have a cheap helmet which would probably be fine for quick tasks but want to insure the safety of others too.

I wanted to try an auto darkening helmet, after 25 years with a regular hood, so first tried a cheap Harbor Freight one, for around $40. It worked so well, I am still using it, and have had it about 5 years now.
914Mels
Just bought a Miller 251292 on Amazon for under $90. Haven't used it yet but it is rated pretty good for a inexpensive helmet
mb911
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM) *

Ladies and Gents,

Much appreciated.

Kevin welder.gif

I tell all my students re welding ppe is to you get what you pay for.. I have used Jackson nexgen for the last 10 or so years and have tried many different brands.. I think though for you a harbor freight helmet would be fine.. However if you are going to do allot of welding expect to pay 200 plus for something that lasts. Miller, Jackson, speedglass, lincoln, Hobart are all really good brands
914_teener
[quote name='mb911' date='Dec 14 2015, 01:20 PM' post='2277114']
[quote name='PlantMan' post='2277088' date='Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM']
Ladies and Gents,

Much appreciated.

Kevin welder.gif
[/quote]

I tell all my students re welding ppe is to you get what you pay for.. I have used Jackson nexgen for the last 10 or so years and have tried many different brands.. I think though for you a harbor freight helmet would be fine.. However if you are going to do allot of welding expect to pay 200 plus for something that lasts. Miller, Jackson, speedglass, lincoln, Hobart are all really good brands
[/quot

agree.gif

I'm a skier and used to be a National Patroller many years ago.

A Dad skied up to me and asked where he could get cheap helmet for his son.

I asked him how expensive his son.s head was.

shoguneagle
I only weld as a hobby and use the Miller helmet costing $89.00 and is just fine for mig-welding; oxy-accel, Tig, and plasma cutters require something more on "the dark side". I would buy something that will meet your welding desires at present and future, whether you will be involved with foxy-accel, Tig, or plasma cutters.

aircooledtechguy
I bought a lightly used Speedglas SL off CL years ago. Definitely not the cheapest, but not what I would consider expensive considering what it protects. Get a good helmet. You don't want to necessarily shop price alone with a welding helmet and Speedglas is what I consider the industry standard. This is the one I have and highly recommend:

IPB Image

http://www.bakersgas.com/NAS711-05-0013-41...CFc2Cfgod3RIMEQ
jd74914
I have one of the more entry level Speedglass helmets (can't remember the model off the top of my head) and really like it. I've used some $100-150 helmets from Miller/Lincoln and liked them just fine as well. smile.gif
jimkelly
the better helmuts have 4 sensors and the less expensive ones have 2. i have a low end 2 sensor speedglas and many guys here use it and like it. i think it was about $150 on ebay.

it is this one and there was a rebate at the time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-07-0012-31IH-Sp...AYAAOSwEgVWSncW
76-914
I agree with the others. If you wear glasses be sure that your new helmet will accept lenses. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby w/ a set of 1.75 lenses last year and am quite pleased with it. I used a Harbor Freight one previously. Although ample, I wish I had gone with the Miller 5 years ago. beerchug.gif
budk
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 14 2015, 05:12 PM) *

I agree with the others. If you wear glasses be sure that your new helmet will accept lenses. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby w/ a set of 1.75 lenses last year and am quite pleased with it. I used a Harbor Freight one previously. Although ample, I wish I had gone with the Miller 5 years ago. beerchug.gif

I did the exact same thing, upgraded to Miller Pro after using a HF one for years. I can see much better out of the Miller, I never get eye strain like I did with the HF and the headset is much, much better. I also wish I had done it years ago.

The quality of my welds has improved because in part of the better visibility. I would stick with any major brand in the $100-$200 range. welder.gif
Vysoc
I have the Hobart IMPACT Series, it is significantly better than the cheap Eastwood helmet that came with my welder. More adjustments and allows me to see the spot I am trying to hit. You get what you pay for, spend a little more and enjoy the benefits of a good product, your eyes are very important...protect them.

Vysoc flag.gif
Andyrew
Hf helmet is a great one to have even as a backup. Well worth the $40 when its on sale. Ive been using one at home for years. Used a Prostar for years before it and didnt notice enough of a difference to spend the money on a replacement lense when it came time for it on the prostar.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Dec 14 2015, 12:50 PM) *

Ladies and Gents,

Much appreciated.

Kevin welder.gif

Speedglass 9100XX I can see what Im welding. Its expensive but your worth it
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 14 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Hf helmet is a great one to have even as a backup. Well worth the $40 when its on sale. Ive been using one at home for years. Used a Prostar for years before it and didnt notice enough of a difference to spend the money on a replacement lense when it came time for it on the prostar.

I believe this to be true from your perspective, Andrew. Now will you please tell the Silver Haired Jury just how old your eyes are. shades.gif
Mueller
Miller Elite with cheater lens so I don't have to wear my glasses when welding.

For MIG I use my old Speedglas which is not suitable for TIG.

I don't mind HF for many items, a welding helmet is not one of them.
mr914
Miller or Hobart. The $100-200 variety.

One that use aaa batteries.

I put mine in a pillowcase to keep clean.
Bartlett 914
I use a nice Lincolin one and I am very happy with it.

I also purchased 2 helmets from Harbor Freight. I tried one and it flashed me so bad I felt it was not usable. This is why I purchased the Lincoln. I later tried the other HF helmet and it worked fine. So if you do get a cheap HF one and it doesn't work, take it back. The difference between the 2 was huge.

Don't leave the helmet in the dark. The solar cells keep the internal batteries charged. I keep mine in the front office where it stays clean and there is plenty of light.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Dec 18 2015, 05:43 AM) *

I use a nice Lincolin one and I am very happy with it.

I also purchased 2 helmets from Harbor Freight. I tried one and it flashed me so bad I felt it was not usable. This is why I purchased the Lincoln. I later tried the other HF helmet and it worked fine. So if you do get a cheap HF one and it doesn't work, take it back. The difference between the 2 was huge.

Don't leave the helmet in the dark. The solar cells keep the internal batteries charged. I keep mine in the front office where it stays clean and there is plenty of light.

Good point, i have honestly had my HF helmet for 7 years. The ONLY time I get flashed is when the sensor is covered up from being in odd positions. My dad has a HF helmet as well and it works just as well. The viewing area is plenty large and the visibility is plenty good. Again, I prefer it to my ProStar $200 helmet. The biggest issue I have with the HF helmet is the plastic headstrap, it constantly falls apart, but it only takes a little to put back together.
saigon71
For a weekend warrior, I don't think you can go wrong with the HF auto darkening helmet. I've done a lot of welding with mine over the years restoring the teener & have never had a problem.

Geezer914
Second on the Harbor Freight helmet. welder.gif
cary
If I wasn't such a tight axx. Or didn't have a helmet yet. I'd jump on this one.
http://www.weldersupply.com/P/788/MillerDigitalEliteVintag
Do a YouTube search describing the lenses controls. Way cool.

I use a Jackson Nexgen at the shop and the blue HF one at home on the 90amp.
cwpeden
I have two. One with the welding/grinding switch on the inside and one with the switch on the outside. Guess which is handier?

When you decide I suggest taking this into account. Wish I had thought of it before buying.
cary
Damn ................. TMI ....... I can feel $300 slipping away.
My Jackson Nexgen has one on the inside. But its too hard to tell when grind is on.
Do you have a shot of the switch ?
MMW
As far as an auto dark helmet most of the time the higher the price the faster the speed at which they darken. Also the higher priced ones usually have better optics/clarity.

I use a Jackson flip style everyday & the only time I use an auto dark is when in a confined space where I can't flip my hood. My auto dark is a mid priced adjustable Hobart unit. The clarity is not real good & it's my last choice to use when welding.

I have never tried the high end units.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.