Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight no work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Drivers side headlight has no voltage at the lamp connector. Passenger side lights up just fine. Fuses are good. What else to check?

Car is a 1970 -6

Thanks in advance.
vw505
Did you check power going in and out of the fuse and are the wires hooked up?
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(vw505 @ Dec 14 2015, 06:08 PM) *

Did you check power going in and out of the fuse and are the wires hooked up?

I will now. I was told the lamp has worked in the past.
BeemerSteve
Fuse!!
toolguy
there are 4 fuses for headlights, high and low beam, left and right. .
when only 1 doesn't work, look at the fuses. . when both l & r don't work, look
at wiring . .
power wiring goes to the left [drivers side] first and then tandems over to the right side
Mike Bellis
Corrosion on the push spade terminal on the fuse panel and spin the fuse in place if it's an original style.
sb914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 14 2015, 08:08 PM) *

Corrosion on the push spade terminal on the fuse panel and spin the fuse in place if it's an original style.

agree.gif
porschetub
I pulled all my fuses and replaced them....what a difference.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 14 2015, 07:29 PM) *

at wiring . .
power wiring goes to the left [drivers side] first and then tandems over to the right side

I should mention it is an Engman fuse panel and has blade fuses. Also I frogged the fuses for the lights (Swapped left light fuse with right light fuse) and the problem did not change.

There should also be no corrosion as the wiring harness was rebuilt 10 years ago and is in good shape. But I will do a visual check of the loom and connectors.
porschetub
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Dec 15 2015, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 14 2015, 07:29 PM) *

at wiring . .

I should mention it is an Engman fuse panel and has blade fuses. Also I frogged the fuses for the lights (Swapped left light fuse with right light fuse) and the problem did not change.

There should also be no corrosion as the wiring harness was rebuilt 10 years ago and is in good shape. But I will do a visual check of the loom and connectors.

Have you checked the contacts in the 3 wire headlight plug ?,things do corrode up inside these.
You could also locate the hot wire for this light on the back of the fuseboard and check it for continuity back the the lamp holder.
Marv's3.6six
OK Found the problem. I have the Engman fuse panel. It is missing the strap between fuse 3 and 4 on the supply side as pictured. I put a temporary alligator strap between the lugs and the light works fine. What have others done as a permanent solution to this issue?????
NS914
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Dec 15 2015, 10:03 PM) *

OK Found the problem. I have the Engman fuse panel. It is missing the strap between fuse 3 and 4 on the supply side as pictured. I put a temporary alligator strap between the lugs and the light works fine. What have others done as a permanent solution to this issue?????

Hey Marv,
I know this was a while ago but I was searching for anyone who had a similar challenge and low and behold.....you sprang up....by the way, if I did not say it before...OMG, your car is amazing!!!

Regards, Grant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.