Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie question - Accusump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FastFroggy
Just started tinkering with the new toy. Removed the front spoiler and bumper to do some fiberglass repair. Now looking to do a first oil change, but a lot is new for me.

My 1.7l has an Accusump. Bought it that way. Looking guidance on how to properly change the oil. Also concerned if a special oil filer is needed.

Thanks for any assistance..
Mike Bellis
Need pics to see your setup. But you need to drain the accusump. Once you are done with the oil change fill and check the oil level. make sure you add enough oil to refill the accusump.
GregAmy
Open the valve, let the Accusump drain into the engine. Drain oil from engine, clean the screen, add listed oil quantity plus enough to re-fill the Accusump (you'll need to look up its capacity).

Once refilled start engine, give it a couple minutes to circulate while watching oil pressure, rev the engine to 2000-ish RPM for max pressure and shut off the valve; stop engine and set oil level to the dipstick.

Don't worry about the oil in the lines, it not significant.

Any idea why someone installed an Accusump? Is it a track car?
stugray
Be careful!

A type IV engine fully filled, then with enough extra oil to fill an accusump 'might' be too much oil to crank the engine.
Cracker
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 15 2015, 07:23 AM) *

Open the valve, let the Accusump drain into the engine. Drain oil from engine, clean the screen, add listed oil quantity plus enough to re-fill the Accusump (you'll need to look up its capacity).

Once refilled start engine, give it a couple minutes to circulate while watching oil pressure, rev the engine to 2000-ish RPM for max pressure and shut off the valve; stop engine and set oil level to the dipstick.

Don't worry about the oil in the lines, it not significant.

Any idea why someone installed an Accusump? Is it a track car?

agree.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 15 2015, 07:39 AM) *

Be careful! A type IV engine fully filled, then with enough extra oil to fill an accusump 'might' be too much oil to crank the engine.

That's a valid concern.

Accumsumps are typically 1, 2, or 3 quart systems. I would not want to start a Type IV engine - standard capacity 3.7 quarts? - with almost seven quarts of oil in it. On the other hand, I'd not want to start an engine with only 4 quarts in it if it has a 3 qt Accusump.

What's the minimum amount of oil in these engines to still get oil pickup while stationary?

I have to imagine that, at some point in the past, someone forgot to close the valve before shutoff, and drained the whole thing into the case, and re-started without issues.

Froggy, get some numbers off that Accusump, tell us what size you have.
stugray
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 15 2015, 10:44 AM) *

I have to imagine that, at some point in the past, someone forgot to close the valve before shutoff, and drained the whole thing into the case, and re-started without issues.

And I dont have to imagine that someone has done exactly that and could not start it and had to drain some oil.
Ask Brant.....

I am installing an accusump to my car as we speak, and this is one of my greatest concerns.
I havent decided exactly how I will respond to that exact situation.
I guess I will need an extra port in the system that is easily accessible to drain some oil, or get one of those valves that replaces the drain plug.
GregAmy
Well, if the Accumsump is only a quart, then I see no issue, just put extra oil in it. But if it's a 2- or 3-quart, it's still quite manageable:

1. Make sure the Accusump valve is closed. Open the oil drain, empty the crankcase.
2. When drained, crack open the Accusump valve and drain that.
3. Change/clean filter/screen.
4. Close up engine, add engine oil capacity plus 1/2 quart*. Note level on dipstick (should indicate slightly above full).
5. Close the Accusump valve. Start engine, watch for oil pressure. Count to 10 and then turn off engine. This will ensure the engine and filter are filled with oil.
6. Verify oil level at or below full; if so, add one quart. If above full, proceed to next step.
7. Restart engine. Open the Accusump valve; monitor oil pressure while counting to 10 and then close the Accusump valve. Turn off engine. This adds oil to the Accusump, but possibly only partially.
8. Add oil to the prior level noted on the dipstick, or total amount of calculated fluid capacity**, whichever is lower.
9. Repeat #7 until total fluid capacity reached. Verify on dipstick.
10. Restart engine, raise RPM to ~2000 for 5 seconds then close the Accusump valve.
11. Check final oil level and adjust as needed.

And for Pete's sake, don't forget to close the valve before each shutdown.

GA, who is not a big fan of Accusumps...but understand why they exist (I'm running dry sump on the race rocket)

*For Froggy:
- Stock capacity, 3.7 quarts with filter.
- Add 1/2 quart(reference?) if you have a tuna can: http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL-PP910049.htm
- Add 1.5 quarts if you have an extended oil pan: http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/OC-DSK-001.htm

**Total capacity = the above capacity* plus capacity of the Accusump. Don't worry about the capacity of the line.
Jetsetsurfshop
Here's my accusump .02cents.

If it a 2 quart it doesn't hold 2 quarts of oil. What it holds is based on how much air pressure there is. I think I run between 8-12 pounds in mine.

I also drain my oil, put the drain plug back in and then empty the accusump into the case. Then drain again.

Did the PO explain why he installed one? Track/Autocross cars tend to be the best application for these.

Check out this video. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/vyaGoj60A6s
FastFroggy
Thanks for all the feedback, I will need to study up. I'll followup in the next week or so with followup after taking a close look.

brant
I started a type 4 with a 3qt accusump many many times after spinning out for about 12 years of racing

Big system but even running a qt extra over full plus the 3qt accusump in that car. It Never hydro locked. Worst case scenario you will blow a valve gasket ( I used to regularly after a spin)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.