Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Need to Replace with a Solid Tub...Eventually
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
So I'm torn - I've been working on my '74 for about a year now and I'm doing everything I can to not make the jack stands a permanant fixture on the car. So my plan was to go through the brakes (done), gas tank and fuel lines (done), rebuild the engine (started) and CRUISE driving.gif I know eventually the rust will have to be addressed, but I was really wanting to have a driving project, rather than a perpetual jack stand project.

Just like many of the 914's I've seen, mine of course has rust issues. But, like I said, I wanted to at least get her back on the road before I go down the oh so slippery slope of tearing in for rust repair. Now I'm thinking of just finding a nice tub and starting there. But still, it would be nice to drive it for a while while I hunt for a nice donor.

Wanting to throw these thoughts out there to get the World's opinions. Looks like the PO did wonders for that busted suspension console! Here are pics of the worst of it...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Dec 16 2015, 06:49 AM) *

So I'm torn - I've been working on my '74 for about a year now and I'm doing everything I can to not make the jack stands a permanant fixture on the car. So my plan was to go through the brakes (done), gas tank and fuel lines (done), rebuild the engine (started) and CRUISE driving.gif I know eventually the rust will have to be addressed, but I was really wanting to have a driving project, rather than a perpetual jack stand project.

Just like many of the 914's I've seen, mine of course has rust issues. But, like I said, I wanted to at least get her back on the road before I go down the oh so slippery slope of tearing in for rust repair. Now I'm thinking of just finding a nice tub and starting there. But still, it would be nice to drive it for a while while I hunt for a nice donor.

Wanting to throw these thoughts out there to get the World's opinions. Looks like the PO did wonders for that busted suspension console! Here are pics of the worst of it...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Might have not read this properly? are you thinking of driving the car like this when the motor is done.....I hope not.
krazykonrad
Driving with a sheared suspension ear can easily kill you if it lets go at speed. I understand your eagerness to get back out on the road, my 914 has been disassembled for at least 3 years now. But what you have is a very serious safety issue.

Konrad
mb911
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Dec 15 2015, 09:49 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Wow.. Mine is better then that and I wouldn't drive it as it was.. I would suggest fixing it first.. but I guess it depends on what your going to do with it..

Andyrew
I wouldnt drive it until you at least patched that rear suspension ear.

As a California car it would 100% be a gone tub. BUT it is salvageable. You would be miles ahead if you grabbed a 1k roller from California and had it shipped to you for another 1k. Probably save you about 2 years.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 15 2015, 12:14 PM) *

Driving with a sheared suspension ear can easily kill you if it lets go at speed... what you have is a very serious safety issue.

Konrad

That's pretty much what I figured. When I first bought the car, I got it for cheap so I figured "what the hell". Like I said, my original plan was to drive it as-is for a while since the PO drove it like that. As I got closer and closer to actually driving it, I started to come to my senses. So this was one of those situations where I knew what the right thing to do was, I just needed that last little nudge to get that other thought out of my head.

Anyone got a good roller or tub for me?
siverson
Wow. Ummm, no. Don't drive that.

-Steve
r_towle
Learn to weld and save it, I have seen much worse.
72914wrx
I have 3 California tubs left .
sfrenck
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 15 2015, 01:16 PM) *

You would be miles ahead if you grabbed a 1k roller from California and had it shipped to you for another 1k. Probably save you about 2 years.

agree.gif and I did just that. Best decision ever (I spent $3k on a 1.8L shipped from CA to Delaware, sold off the extras and ended up with the whole thing costing me about $1000)
whitetwinturbo
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
........never drive a broken tub!
EdwardBlume
Not worth your life! Hook up with Fresno...
trojanhorsepower
I agree. Get a good tub. Move everything onto it, then decide if you want to fix this tub up. You will be years and money ahead.
72914wrx
Email sent.
porschetub
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Dec 16 2015, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 15 2015, 12:14 PM) *

Driving with a sheared suspension ear can easily kill you if it lets go at speed... what you have is a very serious safety issue.

Konrad

That's pretty much what I figured. When I first bought the car, I got it for cheap so I figured "what the hell". Like I said, my original plan was to drive it as-is for a while since the PO drove it like that. As I got closer and closer to actually driving it, I started to come to my senses. So this was one of those situations where I knew what the right thing to do was, I just needed that last little nudge to get that other thought out of my head.

Anyone got a good roller or tub for me?

Good man you are on to it,get your motor done and have it ready for a good tub or fix yours.....turn key and go driving.gif
Beach914
I've also got a 72 Roller and a complete 73 available if interested. Hell hole, minor floor pan, and jack point rust repair needed but other wise nice chassis.
VWTortuga336
I may have tracked down a solid tub. It is a '70 and my car is a '74. Will I have any issues swapping my stuff over? Here is the one I'm looking at

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1858515
Andyrew
Couple wiring change, and some suspension changes, apart from that all your parts are the same as the 70. Just swap over everything from your 74 and you should be good. Looks like the chassis sat outside, I would change out the wiring for either a rebuilt harness or if your 74 has a good one then that.

I would 100% take a big screwdriver and poke around.

This car really might benefit from a media blast due on a rotiserie... Then grab a spray gun, 5 gallons of primer sealer and just seal everything. If you have a color in mind spray color right after your done with the sealer (Except for the exterior body). Its not rocket science, and it'll give you a really nice clean start.
72wrxporsche914
Wouldn't that be a 500 car? If that's the case I'm seating on gold nuggets.
JRust
Absolutely find a good chassis. You are way ahead money wise starting with a rust free chassis. As Andrew said just swap everything from your 74. Wiring harness & hopefully you have the 2.0 motor in your 74. A nice 2.0 is great in a 914. If your rebuilding the motor I would recommend building it to a 2056. Then again I'd recommend you just put a suby motor & trans in it evilgrin.gif .
VWTortuga336
That's the plan now. I'm building a 2366 for it as well.

I'll be stripping down mine to a tub. It's got some solid metal left, just not what's pictured beer.gif

If anyone needs it, please let me know.
VWTortuga336
The tub's listed in the classifieds if anyone needs it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.