Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Rear trunk torsion bar springs and clamps.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
mountainroads
My education into restoring these cars and quest for parts continues. This site is a great resource and I appreciate the help and wealth of information available.

PO removed the rear trunk springs so he could put an engine access panel in the firewall. Good reason = ???? WTF.gif That could be handy I suppose, but now I need a broom handle to hold up the trunk lid. (Or, the top of my head when stowing the removable top by myself which is a real PITA, although it provides entertainment to any onlookers.) So, I'm looking for the OEM torsion bar springs and clamps which were designed to do the job. I believe there were two separate spring bars and 3 clamps total?

Out of curiosity: Does anybody know why Porsche chose to go with that spring system, like they used for the engine lid, instead of the coil springs they used for the front trunk? Are there any MY or other type differences? (I need these for a 1970.). Thanks in advance and please PM or let me know if you are willing to part with said items.

Regards,

- MR
PCA7GGR
PM sent - thanks.
euro911
There is another option worth considering - gas-charged struts.

A lot of folks ditch the torsion springs for the struts. I bought a set, but have yet to install them ... hence the broom stick method still works for me. I went as far as to make up a fictitious Porsche part # for it (with a Sharpie) rolleyes.gif

I think Craig at Camp914 still sells the trunk strut kits, if your inclined to go that route confused24.gif
mountainroads
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 15 2015, 12:06 PM) *

There is another option worth considering - gas-charged struts.

A lot of folks ditch the torsion springs for the struts. I bought a set, but have yet to install them ... hence the broom stick method still works for me. I went as far as to make up a fictitious Porsche part # for it (with a Sharpie) rolleyes.gif

I think Craig at Camp914 still sells the trunk strut kits, if your inclined to go that route confused24.gif

Thanks for the idea. I saw a picture of that setup while researching. Although the originality horse left the barn long ago on this car (wider wheels and slightly flared wheel wells to accomodate), I'm trying to stick with understated look and keep original where it makes sense. What are the advantages to the gas struts? Thanks.

- MR
mountainroads
QUOTE(PCA7GGR @ Dec 15 2015, 11:53 AM) *

PM sent - thanks.

Responded. Thanks.
TheCabinetmaker
What color would you like?
mountainroads
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 15 2015, 03:15 PM) *

What color would you like?

Hello Curt:

Thanks for responding. The car is Tangerine (Paint code 23), but color is not a big deal, because car is getting fresh paint. Thanks.

- MR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.