Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: subaru transmission conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Havent posted here in a long time. Ive swapped my 74 to a subaru ej20g with a megasquirt 1ecu . I had an ej18 in it but i really abused it and spun the rod bearings. I used the kennedy adapter and it is great . But its time to update the tranny . I have done some research. Some get their axles resplined by dutchman and use the inner cv joint of the subaru. Ive seen others do some sort of conversion where they use a stock axle? Is this the doj stubs that coldwater 914 produces?
What is the easiest and best value to go with? Any advice is welcome as far as swapping the tranny im pretty mechanically inclined and have some moderate fabbing abilities.

Ps ill be selling the kennedy adapter kit in the classifieds
Chris H.
The stub that Coldwater carries (think it might be a Subarugears product) is for newer transmissions that don't have stubs in them (somewhere around 2005+), it does not allow you to use Porsche inner CVs. The Coldwater setup is Porsche outer, Subaru inner just like the resplined dutchman setup. On the clubnarp site there was someone (Porscharu) that was occasionally making "magic flange" adapters so that the stock 914 axle with both CVs could be used. He hasn't posted anything on the subject for a while. The Subaru inner CV is very strong. I haven't broken one and I'm pretty good at it.
DBCooper
Actually Subarugears also sells those "magic flanges", these:

IPB Image

I have a newer Subaru transmission in one car and got the stubs from Subaru that just popped in so I could use those earlier "magic flanges" that Porscharu had made. Search the Subarugears site for "Subaflanges", lots of different configurations. And you can probably ask them the number of those Subaru stubs, they should know. With them you can run stock bus axles, which (hint hint) Autozone not only sells cheap, but also foolishly give a handy lifetime warranty.

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 16 2015, 07:02 PM) *

IPB Image

I have a newer Subaru transmission in one car and got the stubs from Subaru that just popped in so I could use those earlier "magic flanges" that Porscharu had made. Search the Subarugears site for "Subaflanges", lots of different configurations. And you can probably ask them the number of those Subaru stubs, they should know. With them you can run stock bus axles, which (hint hint) Autozone not only sells cheap, but also foolishly give a handy lifetime warranty.

Great information! Thank you so much. What year bus cv joint does autozone sell?
QUOTE(Chris information. date='Dec 16 2015, 05:28 AM @ Dec 16 2015, 05:28 AM) *

The stub that Coldwater carries (think it might be a Subarugears product) is for newer transmissions that don't have stubs in them (somewhere around 2005+), it does not allow you to use Porsche inner CVs. The Coldwater setup is Porsche outer, Subaru inner just like the resplined dutchman setup. On the clubnarp site there was someone (Porscharu) that was occasionally making "magic flange" adapters so that the stock 914 axle with both CVs could be used. He hasn't posted anything on the subject for a while. The Subaru inner CV is very strong. I haven't broken one and I'm pretty good at it.

Thank you for the information. So the pre2005 has the stubs? The local pick your part has a 40 percent off sale and theres a few older subarus in there. 90s model legacies. So if they have the stubs all i need is the flange?
Porcharu

IPB Image

Yes I designed the flanges to use stock VW bus axles - that way if you blow one up one stop to the local parts store gets you back on the road. I could be persuaded to make some more flanges.
mgp4591
We could pay you money to produce more- would that be enough persuasion?! lol-2.gif
Seriously tho, there are a few Subaru conversions going on for the Build Challenge. Rattle the World a bit and find out if it would be worth your time. I'm in for a pair!
DBCooper
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Dec 16 2015, 09:06 PM) *

Yes I designed the flanges to use stock VW bus axles - that way if you blow one up one stop to the local parts store gets you back on the road. I could be persuaded to make some more flanges.

Hey Steve! How are you? Where've you been? For you to know remember when I first put on your flanges and remarked that there was just a bit of play on the splines? Well turns out that so far I've broken everything else around them, but not a bit of trouble with the flanges, they've been great. So again, good job and thanks.

Chris H.
QUOTE(749142 @ Dec 16 2015, 11:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris information. date='Dec 16 2015, 05:28 AM @ Dec 16 2015, 05:28 AM) *

Thank you for the information. So the pre2005 has the stubs? The local pick your part has a 40 percent off sale and theres a few older subarus in there. 90s model legacies. So if they have the stubs all i need is the flange?

I don't remember the exact year but somewhere in there. For some reason I'm thinking 2004 was the last year for stubs but not 100% sure so don't hold me to it. Just take a look and see if it has them or not. Pretty easy to tell. If you have the stubs in the trans already you just need the flanges.
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Dec 16 2015, 09:06 PM) *

IPB Image

That's awesome. How much would you charge ?
Thanks everyone for the information. Cant wait to get this going
DBCooper
The other solution is what Chris mentioned, up above, getting the stock 914 axles re-splined to slide into the Subaru inner CV's. That's what we did for the second car (my son's) and also works great. Cheap, too.

[quote name='DBCooper' date='Dec 16 2015, 09:44 PM' post='2278076']
The other solution is what Chris mentioned, up above, getting the stock 914 axles re-splined to slide into the Subaru inner CV's. That's what we did for the second car (my son's) and also works great. Cheap, too.
What company did you use and how much?
76-914
Dutchman < $150. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=231757&hl=
mgp4591
So it sounds like buying a pair of bus axles, sending them to Dutchman for a re-spline job and bolting them in is the hot ticket? And breakage scenarios are pretty much nil after that... That's probably the most cost effective solution to me. I know all the work going into the flanges make them difficult to match that type of price (I would think so).
DBCooper
No, the bus axles go with the adapter flanges, using the stock 914 outer CV and a 100mm bus CV on the inner, bolted to the flange. The alternative is to re-spline a 914 axle so it will slide into the Subaru inner CV's, so you're using a stock 914 outer CV, a re-splined 914 axle and the stock Subaru inner CV. Neither of those configurations gets you stronger outer CV's, that's a different issue, part of a stub/hub change to get the stronger 100mm outer CV's.

I still have the stock 914 outer CV's in both cars, intended to be a sort of fuse to protect the transmission, which means I've broken a few of the weaker outer stock 914 CV's. But if you're not an idiot like me and don't dump clutch too much the stock outers are fine.

mgp4591
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 17 2015, 11:03 AM) *

No, the bus axles go with the adapter flanges, using the stock 914 outer CV and a 100mm bus CV on the inner, bolted to the flange. The alternative is to re-spline a 914 axle so it will slide into the Subaru inner CV's, so you're using a stock 914 outer CV, a re-splined 914 axle and the stock Subaru inner CV. Neither of those configurations gets you stronger outer CV's, that's a different issue, part of a stub/hub change to get the stronger 100mm outer CV's.

I still have the stock 914 outer CV's in both cars, intended to be a sort of fuse to protect the transmission, which means I've broken a few of the weaker outer stock 914 CV's. But if you're not an idiot like me and don't dump clutch too much the stock outers are fine.

So that setup should be fine for 300hp and an automatic trans...?
The conversion I saw a couple of weeks ago actually cut the Subaru axle in half, shortened it, drilled it for pinning, slid a SMT sleeve over it, pinned it and welded it up. He's running Subaru WRX front hubs through his Porsche bearings with a spacer and a different brake setup in the rear. I'd thought of cutting the two different axles to get the ends you need and rewelding them with the sleeve setup. Wasn't sure if anyone had tried that way...
DBCooper
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 17 2015, 10:14 AM) *

The conversion I saw a couple of weeks ago actually cut the Subaru axle in half, shortened it, drilled it for pinning, slid a SMT sleeve over it, pinned it and welded it up. He's running Subaru WRX front hubs through his Porsche bearings with a spacer and a different brake setup in the rear. I'd thought of cutting the two different axles to get the ends you need and rewelding them with the sleeve setup. Wasn't sure if anyone had tried that way...

Yeah, I haven't seen it done that way myself so can't comment. Seems like an awful lot of work, though, and I'm not clear about what exactly you'd gain.

It should be fine with an automatic, I think my breakage problem is mostly related to dumping the clutch.

matthepcat
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 17 2015, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 17 2015, 10:14 AM) *

Yeah, I haven't seen it done that way myself so can't comment. Seems like an awful lot of work, though, and I'm not clear about what exactly you'd gain.

It should be fine with an automatic, I think my breakage problem is mostly related to dumping the clutch.

^^ You also have a LSD in your car...which means less spin and more grip ^^
DBCooper
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Dec 17 2015, 11:47 AM) *

^^ You also have a LSD in your car...which means less spin and more grip ^^

Ha ha, yeah, forgot about that.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.