Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Catch Can Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kupcar
My 914-6 conversion probably needs some sort of catch can. The previous owner has the crankcase vented to the oil tank. The vent from the tank simply has a sponge zip tied to the opening. It seems to work ok and I've never had a issue with anything but there has to be a better alternative. Something simple. Do most use a catch can, or can a small mesh filter be used? I cleaned a bit of oil residue off the motor when I was detailing the car. My guess is it came from venting into the engine compartment. Now that it looks pretty, I'd like to keep it that way. Any suggestions? Thanks.
SirAndy
I used an old Gatorade bottle with a few holes drill on top to relieve pressure. Works great for collecting the oil vapors and moisture.

I turned the holes in the bottle to face the air filter so any vapors escaping get burnt. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
stugray
At the track I am often amazed how many can put the most redneck oil catch can on an otherwise beautiful car.

Yours above is actually nice compared to some :-)

I think it's kind of like a redneck badge of honor having a Budweiser can ziptied to your vintage racecar.....
Andyrew
This is the one I am going to use.

Gonna fill it with stainless steel wool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201249093731?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
boxsterfan
What's the part# on that gatorade bottle? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 16 2015, 11:20 AM) *
What's the part# on that gatorade bottle? biggrin.gif

Kinda hard to read in the pic but i think it starts with GAT ...
shades.gif
Jeffs9146
Mine

blink.gif beerchug.gif
kupcar
A+ for creativity across the board. Has anyone ever puked up enough oil to catch anything? I'm tempted to stick a k&n crankcase breather on the vent opening.
r_towle
smile.gif Andy is a redneck......hahahaha
Not something I would say....
SirAndy
QUOTE(kupcar @ Dec 16 2015, 03:18 PM) *
Has anyone ever puked up enough oil to catch anything?

Absolutely!

I have to clean out the catch-can every other week and it's usually pretty full after an autocross.
driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 16 2015, 03:22 PM) *
smile.gif Andy is a redneck......hahahaha
Not something I would say....

I've heard worse ...
biggrin.gif
patssle
Running Gatorade here too. Andy was my inspiration.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(kupcar @ Dec 16 2015, 03:18 PM) *

A+ for creativity across the board. Has anyone ever puked up enough oil to catch anything? I'm tempted to stick a k&n crankcase breather on the vent opening.

You can see the mess around my catch bottle when it blew off before I drilled a vent hole. It can be 1/4" to 1/2" a week depending on how hard you are driving it.
mb911
I made one for my last 6 .it was a piece of 2" aluminium tubing with a bottom welded on with a fitting on top for a small k&n filter with a hose fitting on the side.. I attached it to the fan housing opposite of the coil.. It worked great..

I should make a bunch of them
TheCabinetmaker
I had a carbed 4 for a while that used a small air compressor water separator. Clear cylinder with a petcock on the bottom for draining. Worked great and no oily residue in engine bay.
11tenths
If only the factory had put one under the battery tray...
porschetub
QUOTE(kupcar @ Dec 17 2015, 12:18 PM) *

I posted a the same thread on here recently ,some said the K&N will oil mist your engine bay,I researched and found that you need to buy a can that has the largest fitting possible to work,I bought a D1 boy racer 600ml unit with 15mm fittings,appears there not many much bigger.
I then acquired a silicone reducer to go from my PMS filler neck (24mm) to 15mm on catch can.
I haven't decided if I go to a breather in the top of the can or run a hose back to the block,the fitting is already tapped so that's an option .
I presume the case is in some point of vacuum so this should pull the separated fumes from the can ??,the tank breather works this way so all should be good.
I don't have the option to run into the intake and don't want to besides.
porschetub
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 17 2015, 01:45 PM) *

I had a carbed 4 for a while that used a small air compressor water separator. Clear cylinder with a petcock on the bottom for draining. Worked great and no oily residue in engine bay.

yea that would work well as its designed for that,these are very effective,same principle different application....right.
Downunderman
I vented the catch tank on my 6 back into the bottom of the air cleaner so it avoided the filter and got sucked back into the motor.
stugray
here's mine for a 4:

IPB Image

The added white piece on the stock filler-neck/breather-box was to allow me to attach a very large dia hose and to point towards the drivers side.
JmuRiz
I plan on plugging mine into one of these:
IPB Image

But I do have a question, does anything go into the small end?
I've never seen anything on that side, is it just an air outlet?
porschetub
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 18 2015, 04:39 AM) *

I plan on plugging mine into one of these:
IPB Image

But I do have a question, does anything go into the small end?
I've never seen anything on that side, is it just an air outlet?

My spark arrestor is a metal one unlike your plastic one,I can see it has had a hose on the small end @ some stage but wasn't there when I bought the engine.
The Porsche PET shows no rear view of the air cleaner so I don't know,i guess someone could chime it with this info confused24.gif .
At that point there is vacuum so I guess it would serve to draw off fuses after the oil mist has been contained in the catch can.
brant
mine:
Maltese Falcon
I've had no luck with the K+N on our 2.0 type 4 club racer, the oil residue exits the filter and douses the engine bay with oil. This is only on the sustained high speeds + high rpms at the track. Now I have just ducted back into my cold air filter tube, just before the large cone air filter.
Problem solved.
On my six (pictured below) I just tig welded an aluminum catch can, with a vent and drain nipple underneath. Just check it occasionally. Click to view attachment
Bulldog9
I've got one like this, looks and works great
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-ca...e&GID=80263
arkitect
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 16 2015, 04:26 PM) *

I made one for my last 6 .it was a piece of 2" aluminium tubing with a bottom welded on with a fitting on top for a small k&n filter with a hose fitting on the side.. I attached it to the fan housing opposite of the coil.. It worked great..

Great idea, I'd be in for one. Don't want to spend $100 for a fancy looking one. I've been searching for a cheaper alternative.

Dave
arkitect
Sorry...double post.

Dave
mb911
QUOTE(arkitect @ Dec 19 2015, 10:45 AM) *

Great idea, I'd be in for one. Don't want to spend $100 for a fancy looking one. I've been searching for a cheaper alternative.

Dave

I will look and see what I have for material.. I could probably make one for $ 50 but not. Sure what filter I would use?
Andyrew
Seriously guys this one is made of aluminum and was only $16 to my door... Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 19 2015, 06:08 PM) *

Seriously guys this one is made of aluminum and was only $16 to my door...

It lacks the one off cool factor of a welded piece or a drink bottle with a hole in it. biggrin.gif
arkitect
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 19 2015, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(arkitect @ Dec 19 2015, 10:45 AM) *

Dave

I will look and see what I have for material.. I could probably make one for $ 50 but not. Sure what filter I would use?

I've seen the filter for sale separately...sell without with the proper threaded hole on top. Then buyer just add the filter.

Dave
falcor75
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 16 2015, 08:17 PM) *

That looks perfect.....sad that the quoted shipping for sweden is $60 for a $15 part....
jmill
Decent read if you're in the market for a catch can.

https://torquepost.wordpress.com/2013/05/11...y-choose-build/
Andyrew
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Dec 27 2015, 06:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 16 2015, 08:17 PM) *

That looks perfect.....sad that the quoted shipping for sweden is $60 for a $15 part....

There should be lots that should ship to Sweden for cheap.

This one is only 35 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-BILLET-ALUMINU...AEP&vxp=mtr

Hard for me to search cheapest including shipping to Sweden..
skier2.0
The small tube on the factory air filter housing goes to a tube with a rubber fish mouth drain and just drains to the ground.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.