Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone looking at buying a car from GR Auto Gallery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
They have a black '73 1.7L listed for $8900: Car Ad
We have a 914 in our shop which was recently purchased by our customer in VA.
Based on the level of misrepresentation of this car I would recommend staying away from the black 1.7L - or do a very thorough PPI.
Our customer made the mistake of believing their line of BS over the phone and didn't find someone local to do a PPI. I believe he paid close to the full asking price of $18,900. (live and learn)
The '75 orange 2L (as advertised and as shown in the owners manual) in our shop has a 1.8L with hydro lifters and 44 IDF carbs which were so badly mismatched to the engine that it was hardly driveable.
Not only that, there is a sizable rust hole in the left rear corner of the floor.
The required repair includes part of the inner and outer firewalls, floor pan, inner long, and the ebrake cable tube is rotted away.
We also see evidence of other firewall rot covered by undercoating.
Someone installed a kill switch in the engine compartment to keep the battery from going flat all the time - several things were always drawing current.
Someone installed a starter button because they couldn't figure out that the new ignition switch they installed was assembled incorrectly from the factory.
There were two coils, one was powered directly off the battery, and the other grounded to the case. screwy.gif
Most people familiar with 914s would have run from this can of worms, although it appears to be a nice car in the pictures.
Actually it does have one of the best recolor jobs we've seen, having been silver from the factory.
IMO the car was worth less than $15K as it was sold. icon8.gif
kupcar
They advertise in Hemmings. I was interested in a orange 73 2.0 they had back in July. From the pictures it looked pretty solid. I wonder if it was the same car. The salesman was a little difficult to deal with. It's too bad for your customer. No one likes the "unexpected" when buying a used car.
somd914
My search for a 911 lasted almost a year and frequently would come across there site through various searches and links from other sites such as Hemmings mentioned by kupcar. The more I looked at their assortment of cars, the more I read their ads, the more leery I became. Sorry to hear your customer was taken advantage of, but at least he is in good hands now.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 16 2015, 12:08 PM) *

They have a black '73 1.7L listed for $8900: Car Ad
We have a 914 in our shop which was recently purchased by our customer in VA.
Based on the level of misrepresentation of this car I would recommend staying away from the black 1.7L - or do a very thorough PPI.
Our customer made the mistake of believing their line of BS over the phone and didn't find someone local to do a PPI. I believe he paid close to the full asking price of $18,900. (live and learn)
The '75 orange 2L (as advertised and as shown in the owners manual) in our shop has a 1.8L with hydro lifters and 44 IDF carbs which were so badly mismatched to the engine that it was hardly driveable.
Not only that, there is a sizable rust hole in the left rear corner of the floor.
The required repair includes part of the inner and outer firewalls, floor pan, inner long, and the ebrake cable tube is rotted away.
We also see evidence of other firewall rot covered by undercoating.
Someone installed a kill switch in the engine compartment to keep the battery from going flat all the time - several things were always drawing current.
Someone installed a starter button because they couldn't figure out that the new ignition switch they installed was assembled incorrectly from the factory.
There were two coils, one was powered directly off the battery, and the other grounded to the case. screwy.gif
Most people familiar with 914s would have run from this can of worms, although it appears to be a nice car in the pictures.
Actually it does have one of the best recolor jobs we've seen, having been silver from the factory.
IMO the car was worth less than $15K as it was sold. icon8.gif

Chris,

I stop by this place whenever in the area on business. They are strictly a car broker & claim nothing except what you see in the photo's with a brief description.
I looked at this black 914 and it was a serious rust bucket with shiny paint (a 20'er) I would have said run, run away & wish your client had asked for a PP.

Warning to all you newbies, never, never buy without asking for an inspection when dealing out of state with brokers!!

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.