Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear Trunk torque rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
02loftsmoor
Didn't some one post a tool that you can make to release the rear trunk torque springs??

confused24.gif
Jacob
Yes, it is a pain, but it has been done. You are not alone.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=trunk++spring
914Sixer
Quick and easy tool to make. Take an existing 1/2" breaker bar (mine happen to be broken) and cut a notch in it to fit trunk rod.
black73
Pipe wrench works for me. Notice how the notch on Mark's tool resembles the jaws of a pipe wrench
r_towle
10mm deep socket on a 6 inch extension
Slip socket over bar and unhook from under the wheel, slowly lean it toward the back of the car until done
Do both sides
Remove brackets which are still under tension so keep your eyes safe and hands....

Or you can just use a cut off wheel like SLITS does and cur them right in the middle....slightly more exciting but it also works.
02loftsmoor
thank you for the information, it gives me some options
Wes
dangrouche
broken Craftsman breaker bar, ought to be able to trade that one in for a new one
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Dec 16 2015, 10:51 PM) *

broken Craftsman breaker bar, ought to be able to trade that one in for a new one

it makes a better spring tool than a breaker bar
02loftsmoor
I was able to release the trunk springs, but are supposed to remove the side grills for better access??
ClayPerrine
I made one out of a 12" crescent wrench. Just open the loop on the bottom.

About 6 months ago, I got a nice gift from Al Zim. He had two of the factory tools, and I now have one of them.

piratenanner.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 19 2015, 06:03 PM) *

About 6 months ago, I got a nice gift from Al Zim. He had two of the factory tools, and I now have one of them.

piratenanner.gif

Picture ?
Jacob
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Dec 18 2015, 04:27 PM) *

I was able to release the trunk springs, but are supposed to remove the side grills for better access??

I was able to work around them when I did it.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Dec 16 2015, 12:13 PM) *

Didn't some one post a tool that you can make to release the rear trunk torque springs??

confused24.gif

I made the following tool and it worked great. No Safety issue here.
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 19 2015, 08:03 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

Clay I need you to look at my hell hole, do I need to do more cutting?
Series9
I enjoy "releasing" them with my plasma cutter. smile.gif
skier2.0
Nice drawing very similar to the factory tool I have, will post if I can find it.
NeunEinVier
There were these: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=271869

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.