Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Get together: trailing Arm bushings replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Good Afternoon fellow teeners!

A thread made by "Highland" regarding trailing arm bushings replacement was ended up having an idea (probably I started it!) of having a one day get together in doing trailing arm bushing replacement for those who want theirs be done on that specific day. A member also mentioned that it is better not doing it one day only so the trailing arms can be prep well like powder coating it. Well that is true, but speaking for myself, I only need a quick cleaning on my parts and I focus on making my suspension to work better or in perfect working condition. Or maybe if Bdstone "Bruce" can provide some finished powdered coated trailing arms that day and give him back the core and pay him his labor for doing the powder coating. I'm sure he has several on his inventory.

Like what I have mentioned on the other thread, I'm sure we can do this bushing replacement on our own garage, but the good thing with this 914world members are: Good fellowship with 914 owners, support and help to each other and the joy of doing it or fixing this car along with the others.

I can volunteer my place for the get together although it is not big, but I think it can accommodate 4 or 5 914 being working on along my driveway.

I am thinking Jan. 9, 2016-saturday if okay for the majority.

My wife can provide free snacks like chips and salsa and maybe Pasta Alfredo for our lunch (maximum 20 guests-hehehe).

Thank you and God Bless!

Noel

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
I can't attend but I need to replace mine, too. So... I demand LOTS of pictures and comments about what worked, what didn't, etc. Have a great time! beerchug.gif
76-914
That sounds like a good time. biggrin.gif Both of mine are already done. sad.gif There are several cars that need this and I'm sure a few more will chime in.
pete000
I have two Sets needing replacement. Might be in.
Larmo63
We did mine at Forrest's. Not a hard job at all, the alignment part is a different story.
914_teener
My thoughts are this:

I would have all the parts as an assembly ready to replace including a spare set of CV's while your there to do this one.

It is easy to change out but maybe you should get in contact with Bruce and have an assembly ready to exchange. He can get you the assemblies nice and powder coated ready to go.

If we're gonna be burning out your old assembly then it may take longer then a day to do.

The offer of free food is enticing.

I'm in.....and Larmo's right...you'll probably need a four wheel alignment afterwards.

PB Blast the mounting points days before....breaking one of the mounting studs in the mounting point means we are not gonna finish and I will eat and run smile.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 16 2015, 09:39 PM) *

My thoughts are this:

I would have all the parts as an assembly ready to replace including a spare set of CV's while your there to do this one.

It is easy to change out but maybe you should get in contact with Bruce and have an assembly ready to exchange. He can get you the assemblies nice and powder coated ready to go.

If we're gonna be burning out your old assembly then it may take longer then a day to do.

I'm in.....and Larmo's right...you'll probably need a four wheel alignment afterwards.

PB Blast the mounting points days before....breaking one of the mounting studs in the mounting point means we are not gonna finish and I will eat and run smile.gif

Well just to let everyone know, this suggestion of Get Together is not just for my own car, my offer of using my place is just to have a fellowship with fellow 914 enthusiast and to help also our members who needs help replacing their bushing. We can do others first and mine can be the last one or I can just do it on my own later. My priority is to have us meet and help each other.

And yes free food should make you decide to attend/come. Hehehe

In regards to alignment, if only rear suspension has to replace bushing, maybe we can just mark the position of the outer bolts position to be able to install it back at same spot as possible. but offcourse still need an alignment.

If there will be someone wants Bruce help regarding a powder coated trailing arm, I will then try to contact him or maybe the member can make arrangement with Bruce.

tHanks again!
euro911
I'd be in, but I still don't have a working clutch release mechanism in the BB, so it's just like Michael Westen in the TV show 'Burn Notice' ... it ain't going nowhere dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 16 2015, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 16 2015, 09:39 PM) *

My thoughts are this:

Well just to let everyone know, this suggestion of Get Together is not just for my own car, my offer of using my place is just to have a fellowship with fellow 914 enthusiast and to help also our members who needs help replacing their bushing. We can do others first and mine can be the last one or I can just do it on my own later. My priority is to have us meet and help each other.

And yes free food should make you decide to attend/come. Hehehe

In regards to alignment, if only rear suspension has to replace bushing, maybe we can just mark the position of the outer bolts position to be able to install it back at same spot as possible. but offcourse still need an alignment.

If there will be someone wants Bruce help regarding a powder coated trailing arm, I will then try to contact him or maybe the member can make arrangement with Bruce.

tHanks again!

Just pay attention to the position of each spacer then re-install them as they were. This is a good time to inspect for cracks that may be developing at attach point. A small propane torch and press (or BFH) will need to be available. Wish I wasn't so far away. I love the camaraderie borne of labor.
ndfrigi
Sir Mark, everyone is welcome to come even not driving the 914 that day and even future 914 owners are also welcome. And again as long you are coming Sir Mark, that is the best part!

Sir Kent (76-914), you suggested to make a separate thread for this get together but you are not coming? we need your expertise that day! Just kidding sir, I know it is not really that close from your place but if in case you can still join us, that will be awesome!

Hoping we can get a few 914 owners that will do their bushing replacement that day!

God Bless!
914-300Hemi
Sounds like a fun time. I might need mine fixed. The passenger side is making a noise. It was something I was thinking of doing over the winter.
Cuda911
Hey Noel, I'll put it on my calendar (as soon as my 2016 914 calendar arrives), and will try to attend if my schedule allows.
jacquot
Noel, I will plan on being there with a couple of trailing arms. Jacquot
jacquot
is this happening?
ndfrigi
Happy New Year Teeners!

Sorry guys, I have to postpone/cancel the Get Together Trailing Arm bushing replacement for this coming satuday! I just got back from Portland, OR last friday with my family and now I have several personal things to take care and year end Financial transactions for our church. And beside this full week will be raining and I can't re-arrange the garage for our work area.

Sorry again Pete000, 914_teener, Euro911, Cuda911, Abes914, Jacquot and others who already planned in joining us.

God Bless!

Noel
Larmo63
Let us know when you plan to re-schedule this event, I will attend and bring a helping hand.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 3 2016, 10:13 PM) *

Let us know when you plan to re-schedule this event, I will attend and bring a helping hand.

Thanks again sir Lawrence!
Amphicar770
Great idea. Perhaps someone can video the procedure and post on YouTube for those of us living on the wrong side of the country (the Rust Coast).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.