Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard miles on the "hybrid" 2316
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Last weekend the Hybrid 2316 made it's first long trip down to the SE Dyno Day. Since then I have driven it 1,000 miles and its doing great. At Dyno Day it pulled 144HP and 144 lb/ft of torque at the rear wheels with a totally flat torque curve.

This engine lacks some top end HP but through the curve it is absolutely phenomenol for the "First try". I KNOW that this combo has a ton more potential for peak numbers, but DAMN is it faster than it used to be when it did make better peak numbers.

The DM is exceptional at cooling, oil temps have not even hit 190 the first time and head temps always run less than 300 degrees, no matter how hard I try it won't go over 300- Even in 5th gear climbing a hill. I have a dual CHT in the car now to measure how well the DTM keeps the air balanced and the biggest difference I have seen has been 15 degrees. The dual gauge has a switch to switch between both cylinders on each bank to check individual cylinders and between all 4 cylinders the biggest variance I have seen is 20 degrees.

All I have for an external cooler is the smallest 24 plate Mesa cooler that can be bought. It is not even placed up front, its in the rear by the tranny.

Chris Foley is coming down to install a roll cage for me next week in the 914 while we are dynoing his FP engine for his first national race in 2005- RAT powered. Plans for later in the summer include adding some flares and a shiny paint job. Then this one will be 100% finished.

I just figured I'd give you some insight to how it has been doing since it hit the road. I haven't been posting much and thought I'd let you know how its been doing. I plan to tear it down in the fall to make a cam swap and give it some added CR.

The 914 DTM is still in the mold making process, but the hard part is finished.
spunone
What type and size of carbs you using would like to see the linkage set up if ya got a pic? beer.gif
groot
Congrats, Jake. Sounds like a winner.

BTW..... once the EP engine is in the race car, I'll be able to record data showing 2 CHTs throughout the race, lap by lap, which will prove that the DTM is the way to go for keeping type 4s cool in racing conditions. I got my data acquistion system the other day biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Cool.. I am also having a 16 channel logger built at the present that will be prortable from car to car and on to the dyno. This will make my cooling system testing much faster and easier.

The engine is running 44mm Webers and a modified Hex Bar linkage system. Pics are on the R&D section of my aircooled technology site.
mike_the_man
Good to hear from you Jake! I always enjoy your posts about new engines you've been building. It keeps that little voice in my head telling me how badly I need one of your engines. The 2316 sounds like it is exactly what I need! I'll keep saving my pennies!

Jake Raby
I have been steering clear of making many posts recently but decided it was time for an update on the hybrid.

I have been spending the extra time on my sites and we should be ready for a big upload in just a few days that will change the look of alot of things on the sites.

seanery
I can't wait to see one of these things! drooley.gif
Jake Raby
Yep... Sean and I will be working on a new video series soon and he'll be down this way in the near future!

seanery
yeah, with a Hi Def camera Bay Bay! biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Its gonna be SWEET!

Sean, call me tonight when you get a chance..
gregrobbins
Jake, with the DTM work with motors that are fuel injected?
Twystd1
Hi Jake,
Glad to hear the news on the DTM. Hopefully I am still on your list for the Teener DTM... (#8..??)

I put my name on the list many months ago. Haven't heard much back from your side lately on what your time frames are for the 914 version. I will be running Dells or TBs. Depends if I get my Motec in time.

Let me know when you want the check sent for the 914 version of your DTM.

After I buy a cam from you and a few other goods to complete my parts count. I will be finishing this particular engine by June. Then off to the Dyno for a break in and minor thrashing. I rather have it break on the Dyno than in the car..... ohmy.gif

NOTE: Your TYPE4 Video is very informative.... I was wondering if you might do a more elongated and more technical video for us performance nuts.

Thanks and good to see ya back on the club.

Cheers,
Twystd1

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Jake Raby
Yes, if you look closer to the top of this thread you'll see that seanery and I are working on the production of such a video in the spring, very near future...

BTW- The 914 DTM WILL NOT work with Plenum based FI, only throttle body injection(Individual runners) or carbs...

After the big issue with the conn. rod list I am not doing any more of those types of sales. I will finish the 914 DTM, make 20 of them and sell them first come first serve. After the 20 I will do the math and see if I actually made money from them and decide to make more or just let the mold collect dust.
Thorshammer
Jake,

I know a great fiberglass shop in Melbourne Fl that makes motorcycle bodywork. They are good friends of mine and could probably knock out quite a few at areasonable price if you are interested.

Erik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.