Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Meyner
Does anyone out there have any ideas how to get the idle down on my 74 914 2.0? The idle screw is all the way in and I can't seem to find an Air Auxiliary Valve to see if that is the problem.

She runs at about 3000 rpm when first started and won't come down to below 2000 rpm when warmed up? I live where it it pretty cool right now and has been below 50 degrees out lately.

During the summer months the car also idles high but comes down to about 1200 rpms when warmed up.

I am out of ideas and just a back yard mechanic, any help would be greatly appreciated.

saigon71
QUOTE(Meyner @ Dec 16 2015, 10:16 PM) *

Does anyone out there have any ideas how to get the idle down on my 74 914 2.0? The idle screw is all the way in and I can't seem to find an Air Auxiliary Valve to see if that is the problem.

She runs at about 3000 rpm when first started and won't come down to below 2000 rpm when warmed up? I live where it it pretty cool right now and has been below 50 degrees out lately.

During the summer months the car also idles high but comes down to about 1200 rpms when warmed up.

I am out of ideas and just a back yard mechanic, any help would be greatly appreciated.

What condition are your vacuum lines in? A vacuum leak will cause a high idle. I'd check those first.

Meyner
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 16 2015, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Meyner @ Dec 16 2015, 10:16 PM) *

What condition are your vacuum lines in? A vacuum leak will cause a high idle. I'd check those first.

I'll check that out tomorrow thanks.
era vulgaris
You've definitely got a vacuum leak, possibly several. LOTS of places where that could be happening. Check all your vacuum lines, intake runner boots, throttle body gaskets, oil filler tower gasket, injector seals, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket, make sure your plenum isn't cracked, etc.

If your idle does come down from 3k to 2k after a few minutes of running, it sounds like your AAR might be working, as it would generally lower your idle (with no vac leaks) from about 2K to around 900.
Dave_Darling
If you don't have an AAR, the vacuum hoses will be changed around. So your first step is to check where they are. Make sure you don't have any that go straight from the air cleaner to the manifold; there always needs to be some component in the way.

Also make sure you don't have any fittings that are left open to the air (except possibly one on the distributor vacuum dashpot).

One hose from the AAR often goes to a fitting on the Cold-Start Valve. If the AAR is gone, this fitting may be open. If so, you should plug it.

Note that with no AAR and no vacuum leaks, you will have to ride the throttle to get the car to idle until the engine warms up.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.