Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loctite vs. Permatex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm going to plug off my air injection ports in my heads this evening and would like a general consensus on the best sealant to use. I will be using the old valve adjust screws and want to make sure that they don't back out but also that I may be able to remove them in the future if the need arises. I was thinking either Loctite high temp or Permatex high temp teflon. What'ya think?
Cap'n Krusty
Loctite and Permatex have been the same company for years. Despite the temptation to "take the easy way out", you need to know the flange on the ait injector is the sealing surface, NOT the threads, so you run the risk of the plug leaking if the threads are not perfect, and leaks past the threads can further burn the head and cause permanent problems. I suggest you plug a set of injectors, either by brazing the top end, using a threaded cap, or tapping the bore for a plug. More work now, trading off against a potential major problem in the future. HTH, The Cap'n
Allan
I was looking at the injector tubes and the flanges butts up against the cooling fin on the head and wont go any deeper. I can't figure out how it would seal without running all the way through the fins and seat up against the head. confused24.gif
Allan
ohmy.gif Or JB Weld?
Allan
Okay, I'll wait another day. sad.gif
McMark
How come one of our amazing members hasn't created a plug that will work as good as a braized pipe, but looks nicer. wink.gif
Allan
I don't know!! I wish they would. I'm going with JB weld. I hope I never have to get in there again.
mightyohm
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 14 2005, 10:00 PM)
I'm going with JB weld. I hope I never have to get in there again.

I think that is an oxymoron.
Allan
laugh.gif You're right! No matter what I'm screwed. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.