Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For thought Andy ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I would think it would be advantageous to consolidate all the Conversion threads for the six wannabees, me of course having selfish reasons here. These projects take a lot of time, so I can't bank all the knowledge I gain daily. There are so many good threads on the subject from engine selections, to chassis mods, to parts creations, to vendor recommendations.

Seems like conversions are on a rise and might benefit from standing out on their own..

Thoughts comments and spam requested.

Larmo63
Yes, very good idea.
Cuda911
I agree, excellent idea.
wndsnd
Not trying to create more work for Andy or other admins. If there is anything I can do, I have time over the holidays.
Andyrew
So your suggesting sub categories for the "Build thread" forum?

You all know that that forum is only for LINKS to the garage. There are currently only 78 links in that forum and most of them state what kind of work is being done in the topic...

If you want your thread linked in that you just have to PM Andy, he has graciously mentioned many times he will link any thread there when asked.

OR are you saying you want a separate active forum like The Padock or Originality and History, which both get VERY little traffic every month.
wndsnd
I was thinking a seperate active Forum.

wndsnd
I would guess there is no easy way to consolidate and move existing threads, that each one would have to be done manually, so it is very difficult to start another topic.

Andyrew
It would be pretty time consuming to MOVE all those threads. Like a LOT of time... And then what would be left? one or two stock build threads and then randomness..

One of the benefits of the garage IMO is that you can see all the latest activity in one click, and if you want to find something specific a quick search and bam, everything you want.

The build thread separate forum helps to consolidate all the actual progress on the cars so you can see what was actually done.

Your idea does have merit, just an incredible amount of work for something not everyone could possibly like.. I am part of a bunch of other forums which separate out information and while its nice for when your looking for something you often miss great threads in other areas.
76-914
Andrew makes a good point. There would not be much traffic. Unlike the Suby, LS, Audi conversions, etc., the P6 conversions share (almost) everything with their 4 cyl cousins except 2 additional pistons, an oil tank, fuel delivery system so what would be the point? Now if you wanted to drop a P6 into a Maverick. idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I don't read all the conversation threads. Maybe just a couple now and then. I pick the ones that interest me. A suby swap, or rotary would not interest me. A six swap maybe. If they were not in the garage I would never see any of them.
horizontally-opposed
Have a six conversion, and am:

1. As likely to click on a real 914-6 thread as a conversion thread if I think there is relevance to my six conversion.

2. As likely to click on a 914-4 thread if I think there is relevance to my six conversion in some area of the car.

So I like the Garage as is. I hate toggling back and forth between forums unless I need to find something specific in another forum. Now, had I done a Subie conversion like I thought I would, I could see the value of being in a dedicated non-VW/Porsche forum—because the car and its likely needs becomes very different.

Just my two cents.

Thanks to Andy and all the admins for making this hangout possible!
EdwardBlume
Seems like a good idea unless it takes a ton of work on anyone's part..... Call it the NARS Sub Forum?
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 18 2015, 09:52 AM) *

Not trying to create more work for Andy or other admins. If there is anything I can do, I have time over the holidays.

Get down here and help me with the boat, or weld up my 914 ( I have a few grinders)

Rich
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 19 2015, 09:53 AM) *

Get down here and help me with the boat, or weld up my 914 ( I have a few grinders)

Rich

Boat maybe, my welding? You do not want to go there!

r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 19 2015, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 19 2015, 09:53 AM) *

Rich

Boat maybe, my welding? You do not want to go there!

I have a few grinders, it's just metal.

Practice makes perfect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.