Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator - to rebuild or not to rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

While my motor is out and getting cleaned up, I'm wondering if I should have the alternator rebuilt. Power was fine before the teardown, but given how much of a PITA it is to change the alternator with the motor in the car, do you think it's a good "might as well" to rebuild it now? Buy a new one?
reharvey
Just buy a rebuilt one. There are lots of them around at whatever price you want to pay.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Dec 18 2015, 05:53 AM) *

Hi Guys,

While my motor is out and getting cleaned up, I'm wondering if I should have the alternator rebuilt. Power was fine before the teardown, but given how much of a PITA it is to change the alternator with the motor in the car, do you think it's a good "might as well" to rebuild it now? Buy a new one?

I rebuilt mine it was not difficult. It was mainly to do it myself and not so much to save money, it only cost about $25 for the bearings and new brushes. You may also need to turn down any ridges on the commutator, a lathe is required.
You have probably seen this but if you havnt then it may be helpful. http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/alt1.html
If you do rebuild yourself then I reccomend that you take it and get it tested before installing.
larryM
X2

QUOTE(reharvey @ Dec 18 2015, 05:57 AM) *

Just buy a rebuilt one. There are lots of them around at whatever price you want to pay.

TheCabinetmaker
914 alternators are very robust. I've only seen three fail in the last 40 years. Use your old one, and get a new cooling boot. About 12 bucks at Bughaus.
porschetub
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 21 2015, 04:15 AM) *

914 alternators are very robust. I've only seen three fail in the last 40 years. Use your old one, and get a new cooling boot. About 12 bucks at Bughaus.

Very true ,bosch altenators are very well made,only replaced bearings in one of mine cause they had gone dry,spun fine but wanted it to last.
DIY is very easy and while you are there you can polish the commutator and give the whole thing a good clean with brake/ electrical cleaner.
IMO on a four or six its not an easy job with engine in best to do it @ point of overhaul or engine out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.