Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chassis stiffener firewall?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Well been doing a good amount of rust repair along with developing the 914-6 oil tanks.. I replaced the outer long on the driver side and also the inner long that I fabricated from 14gauge and bent on my brake press. Fit awesome.. I also made my own inner long chassis stiffener kit and will install the 12 piece kit that came with the car as well. ( I might make those kits as well).. So while I am in there and will be doing the six conversion has anyone done a stiffener overlay on the lower part of the fire wall from heater channel to heater channel?? Would it do anything or just wasting my time
Eric_Shea
Interior or exterior?
veekry9
Thought about it quite a bit,interior,mebe 12" from the floor.
A series of crosshatched corrugations or bosses to meet the firewall's skin.
Spotweld into place,an extra 1/2" of thk.Having a press,makes for a simple operation.
Picking off the measurements from some datum,map it out.
Sketch coming.
mb911
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 18 2015, 01:15 PM) *

Interior or exterior?

Exterior already made the interior
Andyrew
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2015, 01:03 PM) *

Well been doing a good amount of rust repair along with developing the 914-6 oil tanks.. I replaced the outer long on the driver side and also the inner long that I fabricated from 14gauge and bent on my brake press. Fit awesome.. I also made my own inner long chassis stiffener kit and will install the 12 piece kit that came with the car as well. ( I might make those kits as well).. So while I am in there and will be doing the six conversion has anyone done a stiffener overlay on the lower part of the fire wall from heater channel to heater channel?? Would it do anything or just wasting my time

The Engman kit has that. I think its a worthy piece to install

IPB Image
mb911
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 18 2015, 01:39 PM) *

The Engman kit has that. I think its a worthy piece to install

IPB Image

No I have that ☺ I am talking the out side of the car in the engine compartment
TravisNeff
show us what you are doing smile.gif
johnhora
Is this a street or track car?
the reason I ask is all of that's a lot of weight
Andyrew
For a street car you really only need the Engman or similar long reinforcement, the rear suspension ear reinforcement, and if your running sticky tires maybe triangulate the ear to the firewall.
mb911
QUOTE(johnhora @ Dec 18 2015, 02:39 PM) *

Is this a street or track car?
the reason I ask is all of that's a lot of weight

Street and we are talking about adding another 6 lbs or less if I sandwiched the firewall with internal firewall( inside the car) and the external ( think proportioning valve) .. Basically where the 914-6 mount gets welded on
jmill
Be careful. I've heard a lot of horror stories and seen pictures of guys twisting up their tubs welding in the stiffening kits.
mb911
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 18 2015, 03:05 PM) *

Be careful. I've heard a lot of horror stories and seen pictures of guys twisting up their tubs welding in the stiffening kits.

Good point.. I will take it slow
NeunEinVier
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2015, 04:18 PM) *

IPB Image

I'm only a hobby welder/engineer, but that looks like a hell of a lot more welding than is structurally necessary.

Is it possible the big holes are actually "speed holes" to reduce weight, and were never intended to be filled with weld? Admittedly I have no personal experience with this kit, but in the absence of instructions I'd put a small weld on all corners of the braces, a few small welds along each edge at regular intervals, and a small tack somewhere on the edge of every third (or so) speed hole in areas that make sense structurally.

The overall strategy would be to minimize the amount of metal (new and old) that will be affected by welding heat, and let the structural shapes do their thing. Seems like the heat-affected zone "cuts" across the structural shapes would work against the objective of the reinforcements. My amateur $0.02 anyway.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2015, 02:36 PM) *

Interior or exterior?

I'd be interested in one.
ra272

Hello, I designed a torsion beam to be placed behind the seats. It will greatly improve torsion stiffness and add minimaal weight. Downside is of course that tall people will no longer fit in the car. If you want to check it out go to www.outdoor-engineering.nl it is a Google website you might have to click on the Searcy resultaten to get a picture.

Cheers Martijn
Andyrew
QUOTE(NeunEinVier @ Dec 30 2015, 11:27 AM) *

IPB Image

I'm only a hobby welder/engineer, but that looks like a hell of a lot more welding than is structurally necessary.

Is it possible the big holes are actually "speed holes" to reduce weight, and were never intended to be filled with weld? Admittedly I have no personal experience with this kit, but in the absence of instructions I'd put a small weld on all corners of the braces, a few small welds along each edge at regular intervals, and a small tack somewhere on the edge of every third (or so) speed hole in areas that make sense structurally.

The overall strategy would be to minimize the amount of metal (new and old) that will be affected by welding heat, and let the structural shapes do their thing. Seems like the heat-affected zone "cuts" across the structural shapes would work against the objective of the reinforcements. My amateur $0.02 anyway.

Because the metal is flat and not ribbed or strengthened it needs all these welds to retain its full strength against the chassis. The large holes that are not welded are clearance for things (Seatbelts, ect). The small holes in the picture are supposed to be welded.
mb911
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 30 2015, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(NeunEinVier @ Dec 30 2015, 11:27 AM) *

IPB Image

Because the metal is flat and not ribbed or strengthened it needs all these welds to retain its full strength against the chassis. The large holes that are not welded are clearance for things (Seatbelts, ect). The small holes in the picture are supposed to be welded.

That is correct and I play a welding and fabrication instructor full time biggrin.gif. And this is what I would explain to my students as without multiple bends in a flat piece of steel you need to do a bunch of rosett welds to add strength to the structure
mb911
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 30 2015, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2015, 02:36 PM) *

Interior or exterior?

I'd be interested in one.

I will put it on the list smile.gif
Cracker
I'd be up for one too...also interested in seeing a picture of the panel - once you have it fabricated. Happy new year!

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.