Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OD of Koni Yellow rear shocks??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Currently I have Koni Reds which I would like to convert to adjustable spring perch units....., my choice of threaded collars are 2.04" ID or 2.08" ID

of course with my luck, I'll need the larger diameter which are like $10 each..... wacko.gif
fiid
call ground control - they sold me my kit and knew exactly what was needed.

Fiid.
TravisNeff
I got mine from Paragon, I have to swap rear shocks tonight - I can measure them if you like
Mueller
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 14 2005, 03:18 PM)
call ground control - they sold me my kit and knew exactly what was needed.

Fiid.

i'm too cheap smile.gif

$50 complete (minus shipping) with my "method" smash.gif

I got mine from Paragon, I have to swap rear shocks tonight - I can measure them if you like

thanks, I'd appreciate it biggrin.gif
fiid
I can measure mine when I get home too for verification.

Andyrew
LOL Mike..

I was going to ask the guys this earlyer...

When you order a set, im gona order one too... lol same koni reds.. lol

What spring rate and hight and colar hight are you going to go with??

I was thinking of going with 225lbs.. lol

PM me if you want, but I got paypal access to my bank accound now.. boldblue.gif Now I can spend my 350 dollar checks every two weeks willy nilly!!!!

Fiid, If you could measure, That would be helpful for me too, I cant seem to find my dial calipers..
(ps, hows the car goin??)

Andrew
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 14 2005, 04:22 PM)
LOL Mike..

I was going to ask the guys this earlyer...

When you order a set, im gona order one too... lol same koni reds.. lol

What spring rate and hight and colar hight are you going to go with??

I was thinking of going with 225lbs.. lol

PM me if you want, but I got paypal access to my bank accound now.. boldblue.gif Now I can spend my 350 dollar checks every two weeks willy nilly!!!!

Fiid, If you could measure, That would be helpful for me too, I cant seem to find my dial calipers..
(ps, hows the car goin??)

Andrew

I'm going to use the stock diameter 140lb springs currently on the car, I see no need to buy the 2.5" diameter springs.....at least for my application why bother if I already have the 140's???

as to the threaded sleeve, I think the 5" length should be okay..less weight and less money, both are good things to save in my book biggrin.gif

if you are buying new springs, the 10" free length springs are a good choice...
TravisNeff
2.02 looks like the ID diameter of the threaded perches - by 5 inches long. The shock body is about 1.98 These are on KONI SPORTS!

I just pulled a set of reds, actually hydraulics and their shock outer diameter is 2.178

Hope this helps
TravisNeff
If you need other dimensions or pics, let me know quick - before I transfer them over (later tonight).
Mueller
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 14 2005, 07:41 PM)
2.02 looks like the ID diameter of the threaded perches  - by 5 inches long.  The shock body is about 1.98 These are on KONI SPORTS!

I just pulled a set of reds, actually hydraulics and their shock outer diameter is 2.178

Hope this helps

wow, 2.178 ?????,,,,,that is not good, that means neither sleeve will work with the Koni reds which I currently have sad.gif

I was trying to avoid buying new rear shocks and I don't think I want to try and open up the ID of the sleeves to fit over the shock...unless you think the sleeve is thick enough without breaking into the minor diameter of the thread?????

oh yea...thanks smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
Well 2.02 to 2.178 is a helluva stretch confused24.gif
Andyrew
Lets see, one tenth of an inch.. both sides...

sanding the paint off the shocks and taking a little off the perches.. Thats REALLY not that big of a stretch... Doable I think.

Mike I'll take my rear suspension shocks out tomorrow and see what I can do with them.
TravisNeff
Again, the perches are on Yellow sport shocks

The hydraulic units are reddish/orange (that is what I am also measuring).

There are Koni Gas Reds which I don't have measurements for.

On an old 914 I had, it had the same adjustable perches on the Gas Reds, it all looked the same to me - so the perches for Yellows probably drop right in on reds (just not the hydraulics).
fiid
I don't have a proper caliper - but best as I can tell my Koni Yellows are 50mm diameter - which works out to just shy of 2". Having siad that, the ground control threaded perches are a little loose on the shock - so it wouldn't suprise me if they were/are 2.04.

Theres also not an aweful lot between .04 and .08 - I wouldnt think those size differences would be enough for it to fall off the circlip or anything..... .04 of an inch is 1.01mm - so half a mil either side.

Andyrew
To be honest.... I have duck tape around my shock to keep one of my dads koni spacers from hitting against the shock body... Its basically a spacer, with too large of an odo.. so ya.. lol

biggrin.gif

Ya, I want to get some of these perches... lol
Andyrew
How can you tell the difference between gas and hydraulic?
TravisNeff
gas shocks will self erect, heheheh.

really, the gas shocks will want to push back to the extended position, hydraulics will collapse down and not come back up. Well at least my hydraulics do that..
Andyrew
I might not have gas... danget..
TravisNeff
I can post a pic of the hydralic unit if you like, it is orangish red, I had a set of gas reds on another car - they were red-red. The housings on the hydraulics are wider than the gas sports.

That said, they hydralics worked fine for the little that I had driven on them - nothing too sporting around here, straight roads.
Andyrew
Ok, mine measure out to be 2 3/16s

ouch...

Hmm.. lets see.. 2.18 Right in line with your measurment..

Might have to give those coils a try anyways... Might have to use em up front instead!!! dang... Oh were oh were...

dry.gif
Andyrew
Ok, 2.08 to 2.18.. thats .1 of an inch.. There has to be that much thickness in the combined shock body and pearch that can be shaven off...

Lets see, how thick is paint...
TravisNeff
Good luck, tell us if it works or not! smash.gif
Andyrew
Mike, I dont know if they consider a coil kit as one perch.. so Im gona get 2.. lol

5 in 2.08

So if I get two sets pairs, I'll let you know and send you one.

Andrew
nebreitling
mike et al, i happened to be at HPH today with my vernier calipers, and measured the ground control coil-over sleeves. the ID at their base was just less than 2" -- which suggests that the ground control sleeves are different than the coleman sleeves.

for what it's worth...

n
Andyrew
Do the ground control springs have threaded colars for the hydraulic koni reds...

Eh eh??? wink.gif

I might have to make some phone calls (I hate calling on the phone... lol)

phoey.

Oh ya, I sent a message to colemanracing to see if their products are for one or for pair...

Decided that its best to do that.. lol

Andrew
BIGKAT_83
No problem.

Andyrew
Are those hydraulics or what are they??

Details!!! wink.gif
BIGKAT_83
Yes they are the older Koni's at 2.175" just had to do a little work.

smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
What colars and such from whom what spring rate? (im guessin this is on a v8..)

How big? (5 inch colar or whatever) What ID?

Sorry, Im quizative!!!
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 16 2005, 06:31 PM)
What colars and such from whom what spring rate? (im guessin this is on a v8..)

How big? (5 inch colar or whatever) What ID?

Sorry, Im quizative!!!

I did these a few years ago. I used a standard 2.08 coil over kit from http://www.afcoracing.com/ and opened up the 5" colar as far as I could and then cleaned up the shock body. The springs are 10" long and 225 LBS.
I'm not using these anymore and have replaced them with a set of Penskes shocks.
Andyrew
How did it perform with 225's? To much overstear? What did you have up front?

Thanks!

Andrew

Edit, when you say your not using them.. does that mean you still have them and you'd like to sell them? biggrin.gif

Thanks for saying it can be done!!
Mueller
bigkat, thanks for the info.....since the same adjustment nut is sold for the 2.04 and the 2.08 I'd have to take an educated guess that I can order the cheaper 2.04 sleeve and open it up enough to fit my shock just like your setup in the picture.

I might take my cheapness one step further, buy one sleeve, two adjustment nuts/collars and cut the sleeve in half smile.gif

Mueller
hmmm.....my rear shocks might not be Konis afterall sad.gif

...the OD of them is like 1.80"

I guess I'll just get the 2.04" sleeves knowing that once I do get the Koni Sport Yellows, they'll work on those.....

McMark
Heh, I don't think they're Koni's. Heheheheh. The fronts are some weird MoFo shock too! Might even be KYB, I can't remember.
lol2.gif
Mueller
man...some kind of friend you are...last time I buy a car from you for just a couple hundred bucks.....for that price I'd expect koni yellows on all 4 corners biggrin.gif

car rides pretty darn good considering I'm riding on rubber bands for tires smile.gif not a lot of sidewall with these 205/40-17's.....
Andyrew
Mike, do they say "made in mexico" on them? I have like 2 sets of them... lol

BTW, my stuff should be here today or tomorrow...

Ahh the joy....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.