Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting Fuchs - good prep steps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
One of my AX fuchs is bent and I have a good stright one to replace it. My AX rims are black with "windmill" pattern & outer lip silver. They are not pretty but work for me. So I want to paint my "new" fuch rim to match the others. What prep should I do and what type of piant should I use? My plain is to clean the rim, mask off the "windmill" & outter lip edge the spray away with a flat black to match the other rims. Is that enough or is there more prep that needs to be done?
GaroldShaffer
icon_bump.gif

Tap tap tap....... Is this thing on........

Anyone................ confused24.gif
Joe Bob
Blue masking tape and a rattle can.....take your time...
CptTripps
Seeing that they are magnesium, I'd use an etching primer first. For flat-black, I always use the 'high heat grill' paint you can get at Lowes.

I'm no expert at 'real' paint jobs, but I AM a rattle-can wizard!
RangerRhett
I say don't paint them! Your car looks great as it is!

my $0.02
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (RangerRhett @ Mar 14 2005, 08:04 PM)
I say don't paint them! Your car looks great as it is!

my $0.02

I'm painting my Extra rims I use for AXing. biggrin.gif driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
My .02 is never paint four cyl Fuchs. They aren't five lug Fuchs, and never look like it when the insets are painted black. Mega poser look to me, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. It's your car do what you want.

Think of all the weight you'll save if you don't paint em biggrin.gif

BTW Doug, Fuchs are aluminum.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (9146986 @ Mar 15 2005, 06:45 AM)
My .02 is never paint four cyl Fuchs. They aren't five lug Fuchs, and never look like it when the insets are painted black. Mega poser look to me, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. It's your car do what you want.

Think of all the weight you'll save if you don't paint em biggrin.gif

BTW Doug, Fuchs are aluminum.

agree.gif

But since my other three AX rims were painted BEFORE I bought them I would like this one to somewhat match them.
ninefourteener
Hey... do you have pics of the 4-lug fuchs on the car with painted centers?? I was actually thinking about doing the same thing, but wanted to see how it looks on someone else's car first.

Much appreciated
markb
I agree with using the blue tape, and I've had good luck with Wurth satin black.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Mar 15 2005, 07:21 AM)
Hey... do you have pics of the 4-lug fuchs on the car with painted centers?? I was actually thinking about doing the same thing, but wanted to see how it looks on someone else's car first.

Much appreciated

I will tomorrow beer.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Mar 15 2005, 07:39 AM)
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Mar 15 2005, 07:21 AM)
Hey... do you have pics of the 4-lug fuchs on the car with painted centers??  I was actually thinking about doing the same thing, but wanted to see how it looks on someone else's car first.

Much appreciated

I will tomorrow beer.gif

Cool!! I actually posted a thread about this quite some time ago, but never got any responses or pics. You've got the WHOLE center painted right? Not just the depressed areas that make the 4-lug fuch look like a plus sign, right?

I know I saw some for sale once, where everything but the outer lip was painted black. I liked the look of it, but I've never seen wheels prepped like that on a car before.

My fuchs are in pretty crappy shape. In fact, they are probably the worst thing on my car. Can't afford a new set right now, so I think that might actually help clean them up. Plus, It'll go well with the whole black/green scheme.

Joe Bob
Here's a side view of TOTALLY painted ones...

ninefourteener
DAMN.... that looks really good. That looks like a glossy paint though.

Hmm.. now I'm not sure if I should go with flat black or glossy black.

Everyone says to go with that high-heat BBQ grill stuff though... they don't make that in a gloss.
skline
Here is a pic from another post that has them painted to match the car. I like it and think I will do mine this way as well.

Joe Bob
I don't think you need high temp paint on wheels....

On my 911, I change the colors of the side script and wheels on a regular basis...I also track the car occasionally. I have never had wheel paint bubble from rotor heat...I normally use Krylon.....the only problem I have is matching the vinyl ofthe scripts to the rattlecan....
Joe Bob
That pic above was a digitally cleaned up pic that I pulled off the net. It was very dark and the light MAY make the wheels shinier than they were...
ninefourteener
Either way..... it looks good, and I think I just made up my mind.

That car has the same front air dam, match-painted rockers like me, etc.... damn that looks good.

The only difference is my black mirrors, and the black Porsche side strip....

Damn that looks good
Joe Bob
That's why I posted it....I remembered having that pic and that it had a big front thingy on it like yours....

BTW...you do know that your car did NOT come with that thingy, or the side script and that any Concours judge will mark you off for them? dry.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 15 2005, 08:17 AM)
That's why I posted it....I remembered having that pic and that it had a big front thingy on it like yours....

BTW...you do know that your car did NOT come with that thingy, or the side script and that any Concours judge will mark you off for them? dry.gif

Well damn.... I guess I'm out of the running for concourse competitions.

I figured I could neak the unoriginal 2.0 dual carb motor past the judges......... but I definately think they'll notice the snowplow biggrin.gif

Oh well... stuck with local cruise nights, and pleasure driving around town

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.