Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB D Jet Cold Start Valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jack20
Hello,
Looking for a functional CSV/injector for my '74 2.0 d jet.
Thanks,
Jack
kkid
QUOTE(jack20 @ Dec 18 2015, 11:01 PM) *

Hello,
Looking for a functional CSV/injector for my '74 2.0 d jet.
Thanks,
Jack

Do you need a CSV in your area?
jack20
Great question. Car is very hard starting. I've read here that the cvs only operates in very cold temps.
Took it to a vw guy whose been in business for 40 years and he said not so. Said its regulated by the "thermo time switch" and works in moderate temps as well as cold.
Is he wrong?
BeatNavy
All references I've read suggests your guy is wrong (unless he considers below freezing "moderate" temps). I can also tell you I've tested a couple of TTS by putting them in the freezer. After taking them out of freezer and into room temperature environment they quickly "go off."

Copying and pasting directly from Anders' site (note temperatures at bottom). So unless you're starting in below freezing conditions (or colder), it's not really doing anything.

The cold start valve provides a fine mist of fuel in the intake manifold to richen the mixture during cold starts. For most of us living in the continental US, the valve doesn't turn on except in the coldest months of the year. The valve is controlled by the thermo- or thermo-time switch and operates independently of the ECU. The valve is active only when the key is in the "start" position and the temperature is below the set point of the thermo-time switch. Actual measurements of the switching temperature of a sample thermo switch (311 906 161 C) indicate a lower temperature than quoted by the FWM, somewhere closer to 0 deg. C / 32 deg. F.

Jeff Bowlsby found a reference (VWTG) that has a table of actuating temperatures for the early and later thermo switches, but not the thermo-time switch (note there is an error in the units conversion of the entry in the VWTG for first sensor listed below that has been corrected here):
◦311 906 161 : -12 to -18 deg. C / 10 to 0 deg. F
◦311 906 161 A : 0 to -10 deg. C / 32 to 14 deg. F
◦311 906 161 B : -2 to -8 deg. C / 28 to 18 deg. F
◦311 906 161 C : -6 to -14 deg. C / 21 to 7 deg. F
cary
I agree with what Rob said above.

Do a search. I think it was Mark that just did a big write up.

IIRC Mark's write says. The Thermo Time switch senses the ambient then determines whether to open the cold start valve. If it's needed, it sprays extra fuel only while the car is being started.

Problem has been if the valve fails you begin run rich all the time. Quick check, take off the throttle body. If the plenum is wet with fuel the CSV is leaking. Quick fix. Take away the fuel.

Unplug it. You don't need it. Plug the hose with a, IIRC 5mm bolt and clamp.
I didn't even need them on kids car's in Montana.
dlee6204
VW also used other thermo-time switches that come on at more "moderate temps" like 75 or 90 F. These weren't used for 914s though.
jack20
Thanks for saving me some grief and $$, guys.
Still looking for the cause of my cold starting woes...
Jack
dangrouche
I live in SF Bay Area and disconnected the CSV years ago. Cold start woes..start with a tune up, then verify fuel pump pressure, then injectors spray flow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.