Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended CV Joint Grease
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
Sorry if this topic has previously covered. What is the best brand gease to use when repacking CV joints?

Thanks.
jmill
Any extreme pressure moly/graph cv grease will work. I haven't noticed a big difference in any of them. I've also used synthetics but they leak easier. It's like it breaks down into a runny juice and red moly.
PotterPorsche
The swepco cv grease worked well when I replaced my axles

http://www.paragon-products.com/Swepco-Mol...p/swepco101.htm
Krieger
agree.gif swepco
jmill
I use Liqui Molly, but in truth, any decent moly/graph grease will work just fine for a DD. I think it's kind of like which oil is better Mobil, Valvoline or Castrol? Most of us couldn't tell the difference. If you want the best go with Neo and pay $79 for 12 oz. Very popular stuff in the racing world.
NS914
Timely question...I am repacking mine now and putting the suspension back in the car...I used Liqui Molly on mine as well. I have taken the next two weeks off to see if I can get a big push on my wiring... promised my son I would have it ready by spring... and yes, I have been saying this for a few years... lol! Hope everyone has a Safe and Happy Holiday Season, Grant
cary
Another one that uses Swepco.
Cracker
This is far more critical if your planning on road racing/track days with your car. Also important is the engine power and angle of your cv's/axles. Cars that are pushed for any length of time (not A/X for instance) should consider hi performance grease. As mentioned, Neo is one choice, Swepco another...our Motorsports group campaigns Cup Cars in ALMS and swears by Krytox. Super expensive and causes cancer, etc., etc.

If you're a show and shine user - put wheel bearing grease in there - you'll never know the difference. Half-way kidding...

T
jmill
Lubro Moly = Liqui Moly. They changed their name.
NeunEinVier
Liqui Moly, but all of those mentioned are good.
Mark Henry
Swepco...I need to buy a case.
I use it for everything including my tractor.
skier2.0
Valvoline, any good moly should be fine. Worked at Holbert's for over a decade and the race shop used what ever the sponsors products were, never had a axle problem.
Mark Henry
One thing I would consider is the demo Swepco gives on grease is the water test. They take a bit of grease in the palm of their hand, add water and try to mix it together. If it mixes and makes a whitish/gray mess you don't want it in your CV's or anything else for that matter.
I've seen this many times with cheap greases, swepco won't mix and I imagine many of the better brands won't as well.

For me I know Swepco won't mix with water and it's a do all quality grease, so that is really the only reason I like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.