Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lets talk gear ratios, for a street car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
So I am home and huddled under the covers today fighting a nasty cold. Was surfing the net and looking at a few books on the 911. They say that with the right gearing, it is like adding 50HP to your car (obviously a car with more power than a stock 4).

I have seen and played around with the gear charts and see what people use for the track or autocross.

What about street?

For street, some things are similar to a 4 or 6. You aren't driving at redline in every gear you are probably zipping around at similar rev ranges, no? So driving a 4 or 6 is somewhat similar (except for a high torque monster of a 3.6).

Is anyone doing something different than a stock 4 for street, and why?? What could you do with different gearing that makes you in the power every time you shift up?

TravisNeff
And one of the other reasons I ask, is you can spend 5-10 grand on an engine to give you that much more power, but half the price to better gearing and rebuild your gearbox at the same time
wndsnd
popcorn[1].gif
Montreal914
I enjoy my A-F-M-S-ZD combination with my 2056 Djet everyday commuting to work. driving.gif

3rd is a nice shift and 4th even better. I kept the ZD for the highway. You need to push up in forth before shifting into fifth but you get used to it.

I also have a stock ratio gearbox, but it has been on a shelf since I installed the close ratio one 3 years ago...
TravisNeff
Great reply and what I am after. How is 4 to 5? Obviously you say you have to push 4th to get to 5th, but how is it in traffic? Painfull, or just learning?

I was thinking (many things) an A F M S Z would be nice, lose a little top end cruising but 4th to 5th is still not so bad
TravisNeff
Do you like the shorter 4th than stock? 4 and 6 (and 911 of the era) had the same N ratio
Montreal914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 19 2015, 06:29 PM) *

Great reply and what I am after. How is 4 to 5? Obviously you say you have to push 4th to get to 5th, but how is it in traffic? Painfull, or just learning?

I was thinking (many things) an A F M S Z would be nice, lose a little top end cruising but 4th to 5th is still not so bad

I have been thinking of the Z recently but I have to focus on my other 914 project smash.gif so I won't be opening the gearbox anytime soon.

As for traffic, I'm not sure what you mean but obviously downshifting from 5th to 4th gets the revs high. You get used to it.

There are always tradeoffs, obviously, but in town you go from 2-3-4 so quickly and then just coast, I enjoy it. sunglasses.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 19 2015, 05:27 PM) *
except for a high torque monster of a 3.6

0-60 in under 4 seconds taking off in 2nd and never shifting ...
burnout.gif

That's with a stock 901
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.