Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teflon wrist pin buttons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kafermeister
I've been seing Teflon wrist pin buttons for sale for a long time (years). Do these things fail? I understand they get installed in place of the clips that normally come with a new piston.

Has anyone here ever used these things?

R
SLITS
Used them for years on the race cars....they positively locate the wrist pin (good thing). Drawbacks would be additional weight over spring locks and the teflon can groove the cylinder over a period of time.
phantom914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 14 2005, 03:55 PM)
Used them for years on the race cars....they positively locate the wrist pin (good thing). Drawbacks would be additional weight over spring locks and the teflon can groove the cylinder over a period of time.

So why is that a good thing?

Andrew
SLITS
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Mar 14 2005, 04:58 PM)
Used them for years on the race cars....they positively locate the wrist pin (good thing).  Drawbacks would be additional weight over spring locks and the teflon can groove the cylinder over a period of time.

Andrew

Under severe conditions, the spring lock can pound out and you have a loose wrist pin that is going to REALLY groove the cylinder wall QUICKLY (plus the probability of a few other things happening).
kafermeister
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 14 2005, 07:55 PM)
<snip> Used them for years on the race cars <snip>

...how about for a street car? I'm not the biggest fan of the stock clips.
phantom914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 14 2005, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Mar 14 2005, 04:58 PM)
Used them for years on the race cars....they positively locate the wrist pin (good thing).  Drawbacks would be additional weight over spring locks and the teflon can groove the cylinder over a period of time.

Andrew

Under severe conditions, the spring lock can pound out and you have a loose wrist pin that is going to REALLY groove the cylinder wall QUICKLY (plus the probability of a few other things happening).

So the wrist pin slaps back and forth and pounds out the clip? At what sort of extremes are the buttons useful? Not on a steet car I bet. The wear on the cylinder would outweigh the benefits on a streetcar I would think. And they are used instead of the clips, not in addition to them, correct?

Andrew
1bad914
The buttons are used instead of the clips. If you are builing a stock motor, stick with the clips, If you are increasing displacement and RPM's use the buttons. I have used them on Type I motors for awhile. MHO
jwalters
You can always replace the standard spiral lock with a real circlip--the kind with tits on it to grab with circlip pliers--but find the ones made of tempered steel--not the standard steel--they will never come out--and weigh comparably to standard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.