Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can someone identify this tire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I can read that it's a Yokohama. Just can't make out the Model AVS?
sb914
Nada pic !
rick 918-S
Crap! I missed the attachment. dry.gif
r_towle
Invisy tire
rick 918-S
I am not home now. I had a photo on my computer but here's a link to a 6 for sale in Spain with the tires

http://www.mmclasicos.com/spa/item/ART01922.html
Vysoc
Correct, those are Yokohama AVS, when I bought my 75, they had those tires on them same tread pattern. I do not think they have made that pattern for a while. I trashed the ones that were mounted on my enkei's and upgraded as they were old and in the way.

Vysoc flag.gif
Steve
I ran AVS back in the day. They were supposed to be better in the rain than the A008's. I didn't like them, but can't remember why. I have been running Michelin Pilot sports for the last 15 years. Pretty happy with them for a street car.
sixnotfour
Yokohama A509
jmill
They are the AVS Intermediate. NLA.

I loved the A008. Best tire out there at the time but it did suck in the rain due to the outside 1/4 being mostly a slick.
jmill
Closest thing to the A008 I've seen is the P Zero Trofeo. I wasn't real happy with Pirelli's compound last time I ran the P Zero. Hopefully they've made it a bit stickier since then. Wouldn't want to get caught in the rain with them either way. Still a sweet looking tire at a decent price.

RARE 6
As stated, Yokohama AVS A509s. Still have a set of 206x60x14s mounted on the 14" Fuchs on my -6. Tires purchased circa 1997.
jmill
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Dec 20 2015, 12:50 PM) *

As stated, Yokohama AVS A509s. Still have a set of 206x60x14s mounted on the 14" Fuchs on my -6. Tires purchased circa 1997.

Do your tires have the divots? Last time I looked the AVS 509 and Intermediate had the same tread pattern but the Intermediate had a stickier compound and the divots.
jmill
A509 = No Divots

AVS Intermediate = Stickier + Divots

rick 918-S
Yokohama used to have the coolest tires. They suk now. dry.gif I'm down to one tire in the staggered size I run. BFG G-Force Sport. 255/50/16 and 225/50/16. dry.gif dry.gif Checked Coker. Nothing for the vintage road race guys. dry.gif Love those Divots John! aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
A509 = No DivotsAVS Intermediate = Stickier + Divots

Oh ya,,,, old sad.gif

Nothing for the vintage road race guys

Michelin tb and coker has em
http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/racing
rick 918-S
Nope. 15" rim sizes not 16" I sold my 15"s when I couldn't a staggered set. (actually gave them to another world member) I'm going to contact Coker and ask them if they plan on expanding their line.
jmill
Time to buy new Euromeisters in 17".
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 20 2015, 03:55 PM) *

Time to buy new Euromeisters in 17".

May have to happen dry.gif but it totally kills the vintage look of a tastefully modified 914. Not that the modern approach to wheels and tires with short sidewalls is a bad thing. Actually make performance sense. Just the style change I haven't warmed up to yet. confused24.gif
jmill
I'm right there with you. I have a pair of 16" Fuchs in my garage. Without street tires to mount on them what's a guy to do? confused24.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 20 2015, 08:22 PM) *

I'm right there with you. I have a pair of 16" Fuchs in my garage. Without street tires to mount on them what's a guy to do? confused24.gif

What size wheels do you have? I'm running 16 X 8 and 16 X 9's I think I'm going with the Toyo Proxes RA1. The last time I ran these was on my M3. They were very sticky but very short life span.

Depending on what size wheels tour running you may have a better tire selection. My issue is I use the tires as part of my gear ratio. The car will run at 100 mph all day on the freeway.
Dave_Darling
Trivia: AVS was a line of tires. I don't remember if it was planned or was actually released as a full line, but there were supposed to be several "levels" of tire. The only one that was still sold when I got into performance cars in the early 90s was the AVS intermediate. I ran several sets of those...

--DD
RARE 6
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 20 2015, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Dec 20 2015, 12:50 PM) *

Do your tires have the divots? Last time I looked the AVS 509 and Intermediate had the same tread pattern but the Intermediate had a stickier compound and the divots.

No divots on mine.
jmill
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 20 2015, 09:42 PM) *

What size wheels do you have? I'm running 16 X 8 and 16 X 9's I think I'm going with the Toyo Proxes RA1. The last time I ran these was on my M3. They were very sticky but very short life span.

Depending on what size wheels tour running you may have a better tire selection.

I just have a pair of 16x7's. Was looking for a pair of 944 16x8's to complete my set. The problem here is that last time I looked I could buy a complete set of Euromeister 17x7's and 9's for less than a pair of 16x8 Fuchs. Jury is still out on whether or not I can fit the 9's under the rear AA flares. If they wont I may be in the same predicament as you are with 16" rims. Or I can save some money and run 16x7's all the way around. Not real fond of that idea.
rick 918-S
Mine are euromiester 16 X 8 and 16 X 9's. I have glass flares so I can't comment on the fit against what you have installed. Because of the torque the 928 engine produces I need all the contact patch I can get. If you were closer I would loan you mine to check fit.
horizontally-opposed
AVS intermediates might have been my favorite street tires of all time—great grip, good ride, and quiet—but they were even greater for their handling characteristics. Simple tread pattern and sidewall design that looked good on any car, too. They weren't cheap back then ($161 for a 205/50R16 iirc), but they were worth every penny—especially when I had to move to a different tire when they were discontinued. dry.gif

If you liked AVSs, try these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...um=04WR7RE760XL
jmill
When I raced in SCCA spec class we ran the Potenza. I thought it was a great tire until we switched to the Yokohama A008. What an awesome tire. Lap times dropped almost 3 seconds. Even bought them for my personal car. Yokohama seems to be in the habit of making a fantastic tire and then dropping it from the lineup.

No experience with the new Potenza. It may be great. I really wish is was directional with that tread pattern.
rick 918-S
Just got off the phone with Yokohama. The youngster never even heard of a 509A. Said he would send my complaint to his manager.... Ya, That's going someplace. dry.gif

Maybe we should all start calling about 16" tires for performance sports cars.

Here's their number. Ask for Richard 800-722-9888 biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Just spoke with a rep at Coker tire. They are working on a Michelin MXX3 in 245/45/16 and a staggered tire to match but I didn't write it down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.